News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Molesey Box

Started by hb88banzai, Jun 09, 2015, 09:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

Jun 09, 2015, 09:14 am Last Edit: Jun 09, 2015, 09:42 am by hb88banzai
The Box on Walton Road, East Molesey - V52

This was one of the very first batch of all-concrete Mark 2 Met Boxes, installed with most of the rest of Kingston Sub-Division late 1930 to early 1931, going active on the 16th of March that year. As such, it was originally equipped with one of those globular top beacons like that on V47 - http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4410.

A photo from what looks to be from fairly late in its career, circa mid-1960s (photo courtesy of Tim Clayton (trc11) - reduced a bit here to fit this Forum's limits) --

Molesey_Box-V52-(Mid-1960s)-MedRes.jpg

Cropped full resolution --

Molesey_Box-V52-(Mid-1960s)-HiRes-Full-Cropped.jpg

A blowup of that --

Molesey_Box-V52-(Mid-1960s)-HiRes-Full-Cropped-Blowup.JPG

This Box replaced a old Cricklewood type Police Telephone Box (Mark 0) that was a bit up the road at the very busy junction of Walton Road and New Road, just over the border into West Molesey.

Here's a photo of it shortly after being installed in 1899 (noting that it didn't get a telephone until a year or two later when phone service finally came to Molesey) --

Molesey (V52)-1899-Blowup-Enhanced.jpg

There's another glimpse of it in this "Souvenir of Molesey" postcard from the 1930s --

Souvenir_of_Molesey_postcard-1930s.jpg

There it is at the right edge of the lower photo --

Souvenir_of_Molesey_postcard-1930s-Blowup.JPG

Dalekoracle

Its not often that I miss a post concerning original Met Boxes... But this one did pass me by. At lunchtime today I was having my usual surf around the net using random key phrases and a smaller version of the main photo in this thread popped up in my searches.
As i'd missed the earlier post, I had a frisson of excitement. A new Box photo.
But of course, i'm more than two years late for this particular party.
But its a super photo.
I like to think that Stan is sitting in his drivers cab, whilst Jack is upstairs visiting a lady friend in one of the houses adjacent to the parked bus on the route to Wimbledon. Does this mean that Blakey will appear in his little van at any point?
Yes, late to this post, but love it!
M.

Volpone

I missed this one too--and a rare color pic.  Thanks for "bumping" it.
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

peterjohn

A "new" photo of this box.....Yes it's there hiding behind the ARW Siren! 🤓

V52 Junction of Walton Road and Langton Road, East Molesey (1963).jpg