Apr 19, 2024, 05:24 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Lego TARDIS

Started by lost gallifreyan, Aug 07, 2015, 06:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lost gallifreyan

Well it's been a few years since I build my last TARDIS, and I guess the desire to build another finally got the better of me. But what size should this one be? And what do I make it out of this time. Then looking at the box of Lego in my sons bedroom.....

When I was young I always wanted to build a TARDIS with my lego, but with only red roof bricks and never enough bricks of any colour, I soon gave up and no build ever got above the first panel. But being older and having a bigger toy budget, what was stopping me.

Planning the build was harder that I thought it would be. Planning out exactly what bricks were needed so as you could order them on line! I started by building a corner of the base and then working out the bricks to complete the base. But getting the base size right so as the corners, doors/panels would all be in proportion (well, in lego proportion! The tolerance is to the nearest bobble!) was taxing. I had to build a panel first, and I think I got it right on the fourth attempt.

With a basic design sort of done, the first order place with Lego, construction started in August 2014, and by October, and many orders to Lego latter, I had reached the windows on one side, with the other three sides coming along.

IMG_2782.jpg

I'm not going to say how many bricks have been used so far, I'll save that one until the end.

With the doors came other problems! how to hinge them, and allow them to open over the base. Also the corners bricks I wanted to use were no longer being made. Needed 700 of them I thought this might tempt them in to making a batch, but no luck. 700 bricks is apparently nothing!

After the new year, and a few more orders to Lego, I managed to get the doors built and all the windows. The door hinges were a bit of a problem. Lego only had a couple left, but digging around in my (sorry, my sons) Lego box turned up the right parts in the right colours. So she then looked like this

IMG_4254.jpg

As can be seen in the pic, I was then able to start to design the light boxes. I did think about making the signs out of Lego, but attempts to do this didn't go well. Getting all the lettering in the space available was impossible. Especially the Public Call part! So I opted to make both these and the door sign via other methods. Cheating I know! Sorry.

By May, the light boxes were done, and so was the roof

IMG_4499.jpg

This now left the light box and the lamp. How was I to make a round lamp out of Lego. I struggled with this for a while until the long suffering wife pointed out that this is Lego, so surly it's ok to have the lamp square! Well I guess she was right, and this was very easy to do. Now it's done, it looks ok, and right some how. I hope you like the finish pic's

IMG_4607.jpg
IMG_4609.jpg
IMG_4610.jpg

So how many bricks?!? I'm not 100% sure, as some got brought and not used, and others are hidden in the base which I have borrowed from my son (like he's going to get them back!) So adding all this up it's in the reason of 9000 bricks! But please don't try and equate this to a value otherwise your join me on the cardiac ward!

pmc

Superb, I use to build Lego Tardis models when I was a kid but nowhere near anything like this, Brilliant.

Paul.

davidnagel

Stunning! I love it!

I did plan to build a full size TARDIS in lego once... then realised how much it'd cost... nye on £18k - with brand new bricks that is!
Regards
David

fivefingeredstyre

Bloody Hell... I love it! ;D

That is incredible

galacticprobe

Aug 08, 2015, 05:41 am #4 Last Edit: Aug 08, 2015, 05:42 am by galacticprobe
Yeah; I agree! And I'd bet the guy that invented Legos all those years ago is saying the same thing! (The way Lego is going these days, if I ever get a working TARDIS, I'm going back and buying stock in the Lego company! And maybe some stock in IBM... and Apple... and some pharmaceutical companies that are keeping me supplied with my pain meds now...)

It looks like there is nothing that can't be built with Legos these days.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Senseidale

Have you shown this to the Lego company, I am betting my last dollar that they will want it and maybe commission you to build one for them.
I love it, I am looking forward to seeing what other Dr Who stuff you can build, how about K9 or a  Dalek.

Keep on Lego-going
Dale ;D
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"