Jamie's 1:6 Altered Brachaki TARDIS Build

Started by jamiebate, Jun 27, 2015, 06:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiebate

Hi again,
following from my moderately successful 1:12 Altered Brachaki build that began roughly a month ago, I decided to build a larger and more complex version. The original police box prop has always been my favourite - where dimensions are concerned, but I think when all's said and done I prefer it's altered guise, as seen from 'The War Machines' through to 'The Seeds of Doom', because of the slightly less conspicuous paint job on the window frames and the more reserved roof height. By this I suppose I mean as a person that generally has time for all eras of the show, (present showrunner's tenure excluded - but that's another story), I like my TARDIS to be representative of the whole series rather than of that particular point in time, something I feel Hartnell's restricts the eye to, where as the altered version wouldn't look too out of place with any of the doctors if you accept the white door sign, they even opted to go for this colour scheme on the 2005 box, and although I know it's dimensions are dire, that one holds a place in my heart as the first box I saw on TV. So to cut a long story short, this is what made me go for this box, it's the ultimate battered police box in my eyes, I love how ropey it looked by the late 60s, like when it arrives on the runway in 'The Faceless Ones', or when it comes down on its side in 'The Ice Warriors'. So since doing loads of research into it (thanks go to Tony Farrell's hugely interesting and informative diary on this prop), I've planned and built a 1:12 model already, here's a photo should you not have seen it:
IMG_5578.JPG
With access to a laser cutter at my college and the right software, I planned it out and built it from plywood, but decided this time around, now I have the experience working with the materials, the glue and the paint and what have you, to go bigger and more complex, even copying the new dimensions the box had with narrower sides and new pieces added. The improvements I've made are as follows: it'll be more close to proper dimensions, it'll feature correct signage on each side and the correct 'simplified' windows on the front with the original Hartnell windows on the sides and rear. This time I'm working with three different thickness's of plywood, 2, 3 and 4mm which means certain pieces will be correctly scaled where last time they weren't, the windows are far too recessed in my first go, and as were most of the panels and pieces, so much so it put me in mind of the Hudolin prop which I always associate with being a deep panelled box. Again I'm using laser cut cast acrylic for the windows although this time I'm intending to use frosted stuff for the bottom right and left panes of each window  whilst the others will remain clear with the whole lot backed onto translucent frosted stuff so you should be able to tell I've made an effort to mask the lack of the slightly textured/pebbled stuff as used on the prop.
As far as I'm aware, this prop had no handles attached around the time it was refurbished or during the early Troughton era, which is something I'm glad of as it'd be something I'd have trouble replicating, however I am including a representation of the lock this time around. I'm using the same 3mm dowel rod for the lamp housing so this time at twice the size it should look a lot less thick and closer to the original lamp housing.
I'll post some progress pictures soon now I've started building, I'm currently working on the four side panels and attaching the window frames.

galacticprobe

Jun 28, 2015, 04:37 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015, 04:39 am by galacticprobe
I really like how this 1:12 scale model turned out. It actually looks better than the models they used during the Troughton era; this one really looks like his TARDIS, whereas the models they used in his early (and later) stories looked so much like the Hartnell models they still had a very "in your face" St. John logo on the right-hand door!

You did an amazing job on this one, Jamie. I can't wait to see how the larger one turns out.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

jamiebate

Hi guys, I've been working away (with surprisingly little progress) but getting all the pieces together and what have you and getting the windows made in a depth I'd be happy with. I've ended up having the windows panes cut out of 1.5mm ply which are backed onto the 4mm deep recesses just like the rest of the panels, this is after looking at reference photos - specifically caps of The Ice Warriors when the TARDIS lands on it's side, the windows being recessed to the same degree would appear to be the case. I've also made the tier step system of strips above the doors, even the front with sections cut out for raised 'clover leaf' door stops which are just cut from 2mm ply. I've also ordered a rather handy 25mm half-sphere wooden ball from ebay which I'll sand a couple of mm so it fits nicely over the 20mm wide lamp (acrylic tube).
I've also ordered a 3D printed door lock from here:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/cutoutlaser
made from stainless steel to attach to the right hand door as in the photos from 'The Moonbase' clearly show, also showing no handles on the prop at that time.
11693203_1150659068284023_864339292_n.jpg11721899_1150659088284021_1025219876_n.jpg11124428_1150659151617348_1071814875_n.jpg
The last photo shows the printed signage from vistaprint including spares should anything go wrong. You can also see the two different types of window, 3/4 of the panels having the older windows still with raised sils.