Apr 27, 2024, 12:02 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bruce's Aussie Tardis

Started by brucer, Jun 01, 2015, 11:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

xxup

Hello Bruce,

That's a very nice job and it looks light enough that you can relocate it easily. 

What paint colour did you use for the blue?  I need to repaint mine and "Tardis Blue" or "London Metro Police Box Blue" won't work at the local Bunnings..

Thank for sharing your mighty build,
Adrian

brucer

Nov 02, 2015, 08:59 am #46 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2015, 09:00 am by brucer
Hi Adrian,
It's called Passionate Blue from the Dulux range (wife's choice)
"Light" is not a word I'd use. True that it comes apart into sections; walls, posts, roof sections (2) and base but every one of those parts is extremely heavy. The design is really better suited to a permanent structure than to portability. It takes about an hour to set up plus another 30 mins or so installing the speakers and gadgets.

xxup

Hello Bruce,

Thanks for the information about the paint.. I will head down to Bunnings later this week.. Off to Melbourne Cup tomorrow - sore head on Wednesday - visitors on Thursday and painting on Friday..

Unfortunately, mine does not come apart - not easily anyway - so your approach is very smart.

Cheers,
Adrian

davidnagel

Splendid stuff!

Love the crashing landing smoke!
Regards
David

brucer

Nov 06, 2015, 10:15 pm #49 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2015, 10:21 pm by brucer
I've really been slack with taking pictures.. I wanted to show the completed sound and lighting control panel but I have no photo of it and the TARDIS is in pieces, so all I have is this shot of it half finished
DSC_0381 (Medium).JPG
and this one of the control panel on its own
DSC_0246 (Medium).JPG
The box is basically a switch and termination panel for the lighting (including the modulator for the top lamp) but also contains an Adafruit FX board to play Doctor Who themes and sound effects. This feeds into a mixer and mini 50Wx2 amp. The mixer allows me to pipe background music via wireless receiver from my house system, or a DLNA media player which can be remote controlled from my phone. All very geeky stuff of which I bet the Doctor himself would be proud  :D
As you can see from the earlier photos, there is also a smoke machine to add to the effect. Unfortunately whilst there are a few photos of this, nobody filmed it  :(
Here is another photo of the TARDIS looking magnificent in the evening lightDSC_0423 (Medium).JPG
We are planning to put it up out the front of the house in a few weeks for a street garage sale. My lovely wife works for the Heart Foundation and will be taking gold coin donations for a photo with the TARDIS. I'll be sure to get some decent photos of the inside to post here.
btw we were interviewed on the local radio station last week and I mentioned tardisbuilders.com.

galacticprobe

Nov 07, 2015, 07:10 am #50 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2015, 07:11 am by galacticprobe
It is truly amazing when you see just how many people use their TARDISes for charitable fund raisers.

It just goes to show you how much life imitates fiction: here are our Doctors, using their TARDISes to help the people of planet Earth! (I'd almost bet that William Hartnell is smiling down on all of this from somewhere.)

Outstanding job, Bruce: both you and your good Lady Wife (and the Old Girl)! And with yet another plug for TARDIS Builders? We are definitely increasing our visibility in the public eye!

I can't wait to see those photos!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Senseidale

Nov 07, 2015, 08:17 pm #51 Last Edit: Nov 07, 2015, 08:21 pm by Senseidale
Just fabulous .I just love looking at others builds gives me ideas that i can use, and your tardis has given me lots to add to improve my build, also to reiterate what Dino says amazing.
all the best to you and yours.
Dale :)
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

Bob's your Uncle

Hi Bruce,
If only I could bring myself to dress up like that. ;D
Yours was one of the builds on this site that convinced me that I could do this too. I've decided that my roof will be built similarly to yours. Your top roof pieces (plywood?) look like they fit perfectly, any tips?

Greg
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

brucer

Nov 09, 2015, 03:07 am #53 Last Edit: Nov 09, 2015, 05:41 am by brucer
Hi Greg,

The construction of the roof is fairly simple as shown here http://www.buildeazy.com/tardis-25.php
Unlike many designs, this has no frame supporting the pyramid shape, rather the four triangles simply butt to each other and to the apex piece. I used 6mm marine ply. The plans give the exact angles so if you can cut accurately it should all fit together nicely. Mine wasn't perfect by any means but close enough to patch up with glue and filler.
I originally planned to cover the entire thing in fibreglass for added strength and waterproofing but ended up not bothering. The structure is strong enough without it. If I were keeping the TARDIS permanently outside it would probably be worthwhile doing as I'm sure weather would eventually deteriorate the paint and filler enough to create leaks.
I built my stack differently than the plans with a rebate in the bottom of each level mating to the top of the next level. This was to facilitate the natural shedding of water rather than providing ingress points all the way around. For the same reason I also left out the strip inside the top level, instead lowering the top piece by 6mm and extending the pyramid sides all the way to the edge. This required some thought in adjusting the dimensions of the pieces without messing up the correct angles.
Hope this helps.  Cheers.
BR.

Bob's your Uncle

Yes, that does help. Thanks.
The roof is the next step for me, I'm fairly certain that I'll be fiber-glassing the top. I'd like this TARDIS to outlive me (at least another 30 years....maybe more).

Greg
"Listen. All I have to do is dive into another dimension, find the time traveler, help her escape the monster, get home before the entire dimension collapses, and Bob's your Uncle."

'Hide'  S07 E09

Volpone

The key to the roof is to reverse the polarity. ;)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

brucer

So....

anyone want to buy one used TARDIS
low mileage, one owner  :)

brucer

Dec 03, 2015, 11:15 am #57 Last Edit: Dec 04, 2015, 10:32 am by brucer
Some photos of the wife at The Doctor Who Festival in Sydney. One is in front of the Lego TARDIS (photo courtesy of the BBC)

This TARDIS has a facebook page now.

Please like it :)

http://www.facebook.com/CanberraTardis

12243384_10206984004894272_8264815115934507369_n.jpg12243416_10206972501566696_4913425894010276179_n.jpg

Senseidale

great pics
just for info There is a prop builders on face book
just search Dr who prop builders
regards
Dale.
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"

brucer