Mar 28, 2024, 04:45 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 NST TARDIS Lamp

Started by chainsaw, Jul 06, 2009, 03:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cathlyn847

Quote from: philipw on Jul 11, 2010, 07:39 pm
"Gardman Parisian Garden Lantern"  still available at an Amazon store site. So, though discontinued, if you need the topper, this is the one to buy. I paid $23.99 plus shipping and that's what Amazon shows it as as well.

Just checked Amazon and it's $28.99 + 10.95 shipping. And it's not really Amazon you buy from...it's a second party seller.

I ordered one, just to have a spare. Thanks Philip!
What would the Doctor do?

philipw

Quote from: cathlyn847 on Jul 12, 2010, 01:48 am
Quote from: philipw on Jul 11, 2010, 07:39 pm
"Gardman Parisian Garden Lantern"  still available at an Amazon store site. So, though discontinued, if you need the topper, this is the one to buy. I paid $23.99 plus shipping and that's what Amazon shows it as as well.

Just checked Amazon and it's $28.99 + 10.95 shipping. And it's not really Amazon you buy from...it's a second party seller.

I ordered one, just to have a spare. Thanks Philip!

Correct, it's an "amazon store", not amazon. Though I've always had good luck when ordering through an Amazon store.

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2010, 05:40 am #62 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 05:58 am by galacticprobe
I also found them available at this site:

http://happy-eco-gardens.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,80/category_id,11/manufacturer_id,11/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

Not sure what 15 Euro translates into (GBP or USD), but if I read the listing right, they've got 197 in stock. (I think they're in Spain, according to their "Contact Us" link.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

philipw

Quote from: mordrogyn on Jul 12, 2010, 12:59 am
Well, if you could get me the diameter and height of the pieces of the lamp immediately above and below the fresnel that would help, thanks.
I'm probably going to wind up trying to make them out of wood, since they looks like they are painted blue in the only pic I have seen, I doubt I can make them very well from metal and it shouldn't show that much either (I hope)

Here's a dimensioned drawing of the Anchor Lantern Top and Bottom Brass.

http://rebelscum.com/2010/anchor-lantern-brass.pdf

mordrogyn

Jul 12, 2010, 08:23 pm #64 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2010, 10:38 pm by mordrogyn
Grrr of course it would happen...

After looking at what there actually is there the thought is running through my head:

"I wonder how much it would cost to have those two pieces made."

swiftly followed by

"I wonder if there is anywhere local that could made them"
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

philipw

Quote from: mordrogyn on Jul 12, 2010, 08:23 pm

After looking at what there actually is there the thought is running through my head:

swiftly followed by

Ha... well, I think my drawing has all the necessary dimensions.
The connecting pieces are a little more complicated than bent metal dowels though, they are probably cast pieces.

galacticprobe

Jul 13, 2010, 03:39 am #66 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2010, 03:41 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: philipw on Jul 12, 2010, 11:56 pm
Quote from: mordrogyn on Jul 12, 2010, 08:23 pm

swiftly followed by

Ha... well, I think my drawing has all the necessary dimensions.
The connecting pieces are a little more complicated than bent metal dowels though, they are probably cast pieces.

For those bent pieces that run down the sides, how about checking out some brass door or drawer pull handles? (I mean, they're almost shaped like the TARDIS door handles, just with different mounting bits - no in-line screws; a single screw version should work.) There are so many varieties of that sort in places like Home Depot or Lowes that one of them is bound to have something that would come close enough to work with little modification.

Let's face it; only a rivet counter would climb atop your TARDIS and tell you that you had the wrong piece running down the side of the lamp. (And at that point, you just throw the Demat switch and vanish allowing said rivet counter, with TARDIS no longer beneath him, to plummet to the ground.)

<Laughter like Renfield follows>

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

mordrogyn

At that point I would challenge said rivet counter to show me a clear detailed picture of the Hudolin's lamp housing, which would either result in egg on the rivet counters face (since I don't think there is any) or the appearance of said photo, which would be useful.

Win, win :P
(http://i50.tinypic.com/20kan9v.jpg)

jasononion

Jul 27, 2010, 04:13 pm #68 Last Edit: Jul 27, 2010, 04:27 pm by Scarfwearer
Hi all,

For Matt Smith / Hartnell fresnell lamp try www.qvsdirect.com and type in New Haven Outdoor Wall Light £29.95 :) nice
For 9 - 10th Doctor lamp go to: www.capitalgardens.co.uk and type in Ronda Lantern by Tom Chambers £25.99 inc delivery

Cheersnew_haven_wall_lantern_med.jpgronda lantern.jpg

ThisJustinOnline

While the NST lamp looks right, I think its on the small size when you scale it with that tea light...

Excellent finds

philipw

Quote from: jasononion on Jul 27, 2010, 04:13 pm
Hi all,

For Matt Smith / Hartnell fresnell lamp try www.qvsdirect.com and type in New Haven Outdoor Wall Light £29.95 :) nice
For 9 - 10th Doctor lamp go to: www.capitalgardens.co.uk and type in Ronda Lantern by Tom Chambers £25.99 inc delivery

Cheersnew_haven_wall_lantern_med.jpgronda lantern.jpg

According to purple's blog, that would not be the correct lamp for matt smith. His is an Anchor Oil Lamp. http://purpleblancmange.wordpress.com/2010/06/14/lets-shed-some-light-on-the-issue/

The New Haven looks like the one purple says is for the promotional prop, not the tv prop.

The Rhonda Lantern looks like the gardman lantern that's used for the very top of both.

jasononion

Bugger!  :-\
See what you mean on the link, cheers for that.
Will keep researching this.

dematerialiser

Dec 04, 2006, 08:24 am #72 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 10:15 pm by scarfwearer
Well spotted Glen! The BBC must have bought the entire stock of their local B&Q for their props department or something!  :o

As for Catherine Tate (for people who haven't seen her before, she has her own comedy show on the BBC..) I thought that's what you mean't by
Quotewhat is hanging in shot????
;D  I'm not a big fan of CT.., but this is one for a caption contest, surely  ;)

cheers
Chris

Mark

Dec 05, 2006, 01:44 am #73 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 10:15 pm by scarfwearer
In an early design meeting, somewhere in Cardiff

&quot;This is what you intend to use as the TARDIS roof lamp!!!!&quot;

dematerialiser

Dec 05, 2006, 08:50 am #74 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 10:15 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: mark board=general thread=1165216370 post=1165283053In an early design meeting, somewhere in Cardiff

&quot;This is what you intend to use as the TARDIS roof lamp!!!!&quot;

LOL!

It's probably just as well that they didn't go to B&Q for props on a bank holiday - or they might have got a 'managers special'..: 

[noimg]http://uk.geocities.com/landru1999/newlamp-1.jpg[/img]
:P