Apr 20, 2024, 01:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

11Th Doctors Sonic Cane

Started by Oblivion, May 27, 2015, 04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oblivion

Quote from: untimelyvideos on May 29, 2015, 09:37 pm
It absolutely could be. They had a screw in the sliding section when it wasn't in a scene to be "flicked" open so it could be held without opening.

Yes, I've built mine so the sphere opens and closes, but what I meant was it's not strong enough to lean on or put your weight on the sphere.
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

May 30, 2015, 09:13 am #16 Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:14 am by Oblivion
Drilled the hole in the shaft to accomadate the light/sound button.

20150530_084010.jpg

Attached the tapered end section which will become the silver tip of the cane

20150530_095819.jpg

All undercoated and ready to paint (in closed mode)

20150530_101059.jpg
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

May 30, 2015, 12:02 pm #17 Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:22 pm by Oblivion
Finished  ;D

20150530_124353.jpg20150530_123602.jpg
Image4.jpg
Hampshire UK

elkad

You have a close up of the bottom tip of the cane?  :)

Oblivion

May 30, 2015, 02:51 pm #19 Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 03:39 pm by Oblivion
There's one in Gadget Gallery.
Hampshire UK

steve757

Would marine epoxy putty potted around the actuator arms give you more hold on the sphere sections, and stiffen the interior wall?  This is a really cool piece of work and would seem to be functional as well  (as a cane)

galacticprobe

May 31, 2015, 05:38 am #21 Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:38 am by galacticprobe
I know Oblivion will correct me if I'm wrong (and others will as well), but it's not the hold of the sphere section to the claws that's the problem with using this as a proper cane; it's the fact that the walls of the sphere are not thick enough to support any weight. Even if they were made of metal, once you break that sphere you lose all structural integrity, and those four bits of the "clam shell" will bend easily if any weight is applied to them. Even as a simple walking stick there would be too much stress on the sphere segments (whether plastic - as in this replica - or metal) as the stick swings through its arc of movement with the friction against your hand, and its foot hits the ground repeatedly. The sphere segments would quickly deform and then when closed would no longer look like a sphere, but rather a multi-section ball whose pieces didn't fit together properly.

The only way to make this usable as a "stick" of any kind is to use it in a modified "Bat Masterson" style: only carry it my the shaft, and maybe have the foot behind you as the shaft rested on your shoulder; then as needed spring it into action by pointing the sphere at the intended target, and activating the opening and sonicking mechanism.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Oblivion

May 31, 2015, 08:05 am #22 Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:14 am by Oblivion
I don't think you should loose sight of the fact that this design was created (and only ever intended to be used) as a filming prop and nothing more. It was never designed to be used as an actual walking stick and to take the stress and strain that, that would entail. It was made simply for visual purposes only in the Lets Kill Hitler episode and isn't any more functional that than ;) It's about as much use in the real world as the plastic sonic screwdriver it was built from ;D You could easily create a 'closed' looking replica that could actually be used for walking, simply use a solid resin sphere, but then of course it wouldn't open.
Hampshire UK

BioDoctor900

Quick question Oblivion. Does the sonic hold shut easily or does it have a bit of a habit of slipping open? I'm going to look around to see if I can find a ball that is a bit stronger so that you can lean on it for mine. I'm sorta looking forward to making mine, but know that I'm going to struggle a little, so any advice on how you made up yours and what problems you came across would be appreciated (apart from not building it in the first place  ;)  ;D)

BioDoctor900

Oblivion

Jun 04, 2015, 05:47 am #24 Last Edit: Jun 04, 2015, 05:56 am by Oblivion
Well good luck with making one you can actually lean on. If I was being totally honest I wouldn't waste your time. It's not really the strength of the ball that's the issue, it's more the fact that the plastic joints of the toy sonic just wont stand up to the pressure or weight. Yes it does have a habit of slipping open, that's down to the nature of the base toy I think. Personally I think the more you try to strengthen the prop the uglier and less screen accurate the build becomes, unless of course you use a metal sonic, I imagine then that that's a different ball game and the whole process becomes easier. I struggled making mine, but then I have a habit of wanting what I build to look overly neat, clean and as accurate as my skills allow. Hence I gave up strength in favour of appearance. Attaching the sphere sections to the pins of the sonic neatly isn't easy, neither is getting the four sections to line up when in closed mode. Good luck with you're build I'm sure you'll make a grand job of it. Personally I wouldn't want to build another for all the tea in China, I didn't enjoy the process one bit lol I know a guy who used a solid polystyrene ball bought from Hobbycraft. Not an ideal finish but from what I gather it made the process of quartering and attaching the pieces to the sonic much easier, the finished prop while not perfect didn't look bad.
Hampshire UK

The14thDr

I absolutely love this prop, and as usual Oblivion, you've managed to replicate to the highest possible standard. Might I ask a quick question, to help me along with my own version? What is the diameter of the silver bauble you used at the end of the cane?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Oblivion

Surely, mine was a vac formed 3 1/4 inch Christmas bauble which I reinforced after I cut it. If you have trouble finding a suitable ball I have a spare you are welcome to have :)
Hampshire UK

The14thDr

Thanks Oblivion. And thank you for making such a kind offer. :) I'll be going on a little shopping trip tomorrow, so I'll see if I can find anything suitable (come to think of it, I think the local souvenir shop is still selling off a load of dirt-cheap Christmas baubles). How did you reinforce the bauble?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

Oblivion

I used a layer of resin, but if you find a better quality ball you wont have to worry about that  ;) 
Hampshire UK

PropBuilder2516

How did you get it to open and close.
PB