Apr 25, 2024, 08:55 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Yale lock

Started by chainsaw, Jul 02, 2009, 08:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Aug 15, 2016, 05:18 am #90 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2016, 05:29 am by galacticprobe
14th, take a read through this topic: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3648.0. It's got just about all the info on the lock that I think you're looking for. The photo reference alone should confirm the lock is a 60mm on all of the New Series TARDISes, and this topic (and post) http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6572.msg81601#msg81601 should confirm that the 40mm is too short.

There are some great photos in the first topic I linked to above showing one 60mm lock out of the package and viewed almost straight-on. From there you should be able to guess (better than I could) as to the other dimensions of the lock, and also the images should help with the 3-D modelling.

I hope this is helpful.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Thanks Dino. Looking at those threads, it seems my guesstimations are way off. ;D (My TARDIS doors are 3/4 scale, but the current 3D model I built places the lock at around 27mm wide ::))

I'll carry on reading through those links and update my 3D model soon.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Aug 16, 2016, 05:21 am #92 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2016, 05:21 am by galacticprobe
You could always take the measurements of the 60mm lock and scale them back by 3/4ths. Then your lock would fit your doors. That is, unless that would interfere with the plans you have for the key and cylinder. Still, there might be enough wiggle room between the scaled-down lock inside and the lock cylinder outside to let you have a full-scale outer cylinder so your keys will work.

Something else for you to think about (as if you didn't already have enough :D).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

hb88banzai

Do remember that the 40mm vs 60mm lock are actually measurements of the setback of the lock, or a measurement from the business end's edge to the center of the cylinder, not the width of the lock itself.

The14thDr

Thank you for clearing that up for me, hb88banzai. (I did think to myself that 60mm seemed a tad large for the front of the lock, but I never realised that it referred to the back of the lock ::))

Thanks for that, Dino. Since I am having full-sized Yale and ankh keys, scaling the lock down to 3/4 could interfere with my plans for the cylinders. However, I think I should get away with having a full-sized lock without making it look too oversized.  

Am I correct in my assumption that the lock face itself should be 32-33mm?

galacticprobe

Aug 18, 2016, 05:43 am #95 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2016, 05:44 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Aug 17, 2016, 05:18 pm
Thank you for clearing that up for me, hb88banzai.

Agreed. Those photos of the 40mm and 60mm locks came from eBay listings, and nothing other than those measurements was specified, so I had no other info to go on as to what those measurements meant.

Thanks for that, Dino. Since I am having full-sized Yale and ankh keys, scaling the lock down to 3/4 could interfere with my plans for the cylinders. However, I think I should get away with having a full-sized lock without making it look too oversized.

A hint of "chibi" in the lock never hurt anyone as long as the lock fits. ;)

Am I correct in my assumption that the lock face itself should be 32-33mm?

I would have to answer this one later after I measure my lock face on my door. (If I open the door now, the home security system will bleep and announce which door was just opened, and I don't think the wife would appreciate that! And then there are those tarantula-sized monstrosities that hide around the doors at night, and I'm break-out-in-a-cold-sweat-and-nearly-pass-out arachnophobic!)

So I can get the lock face measure in the daylight. Mind you, this is also going on the assumption that US lock faces are the same diameter as UK lock faces. (Maybe we need two measurements: one from a US lock face, and one from a UK lock face, and see if there is a difference.)

Dino.

hb88banzai

Aug 19, 2016, 01:37 am #96 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016, 02:13 am by hb88banzai
Most rim cylinders that use Yale (Y1) type keys nominally conform to the Yale specs, and Yale from the UK and US (when they were still made here) are for all intents and purposes virtually identical.

Here are the nominal dimensions for a Yale rimlock cylinder (numbers in parentheses are equivalent metric measurements in mm) --

Yale Rim Cylinder Dimensions - Nominal.JPG

The 1109 is the standard rim cylinder - the type applicable for TARDIS locks.

Around the cylinder itself, there is also the collar that supports the rim of the cylinder and hides the hole it's inserted into --

Yale Rim Cylinder Collar Dimensions - Nominal.JPG

They don't give overall thickness above the door (and these pieces vary most in size from the nominal in my experience, in all dimensions), but since they come more or less flush to the cylinder face when mounted you can just add the face thickness on the cylinder above to the support thickness here (ie, 4mm + 2mm = 6mm).

Now, for the lock body itself, though the finer details can vary between age, models and makes, the general size of the current Yale offering is relatively standard for old traditional type night latches (Yale essentially invented them, after all), including the ERA offerings, give or take a few mm.

Here are the dimensions for the current Yale Traditional Nightlatch Rim Locks --

Yale Traditional Nightlatch Specs - Current.JPG

Haven't measured my vintage and newer cylinders, collars and locks recently, but the above should give you a good starting point.

The14thDr

Aug 19, 2016, 08:30 am #97 Last Edit: Aug 19, 2016, 08:30 am by The14thDr
Thank you hb88banzai!! :D With these blueprints, I can finally start updating the 3D model for my TARDIS's lock.

Thanks again. ;D

hb88banzai

Aug 22, 2016, 11:38 am #98 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2016, 11:46 am by hb88banzai
Found some specs for an ERA Traditional NightLatch lock --

ERA NightLatch Dimensions.jpg

As you can see, pretty much the same as the Yale version, in most cases having the same measurement, though in a few plus or minus 1 mm.

galacticprobe

Aug 23, 2016, 04:57 am #99 Last Edit: Aug 23, 2016, 04:57 am by galacticprobe
That drawing of the ERA lock looks a lot like the chrome plated lock inside the 2010 onward TARDIS interior set doors, at least going by the overall shape of it. And with nice measurements, too! Thanks for sharing, HB!

Dino.