Apr 26, 2024, 02:52 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Aging/Weathering hardware

Started by magepro, Aug 06, 2009, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

magepro

Aug 06, 2009, 10:41 pm Last Edit: Feb 04, 2010, 08:01 pm by Scarfwearer
Other than treating with chemicals and steel wool, is that another way to get an old-used look for the metal parts?
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom

tardis81

Jan 25, 2010, 12:27 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2010, 02:47 pm by scarfwearer
how i achievied the whethering effect on my police box was to use blackboard paint by appllying it on to the blue paint in small amounts and rub it into the paint work  until it is almost dry .  it is time cosuming but worth it

magepro

How does this affect the metal parts?
(http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af52/Magepro1/Avatars/th_8da9c60d.jpg)
Until next time, remember to, "Simply reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

** Tom

wayne venomous

I was reading in a car magazine where someone came up with a unique way of aging car parts that look a bit too "clean" on an old car.

It was an old VW Beetle that was original, unrestored and had a certain patina. But he bought some new handles and wheels that really didn't suit the aged look of rest of the car so he removed them and buried them in soil for a few months! Have to say, it worked very well though.

atomicgraph

i aged my hardware using a dremmel tool with the little stone attachment piece. i started by just putting some "nicks" onto the lock focusing around where the key goes in, then sparing- ly on the rest of the lock. the grooves looked pretty good and natural. the metal was still to shiny so i put duct tape over the whole lock the heated it with a hair dryer, when i pulled the tape off it left the sticky residue on the metal. to add the dirty look to it (i think) i just used a charcoal pencil. the charcoal powder sticks to the residue and the lock is no longer sticky and it looks like its been in use for 60 years.