Apr 25, 2024, 06:07 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 nightstand

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Dec 24, 2015, 06:52 am #60 Last Edit: Dec 24, 2015, 07:00 am by galacticprobe
Going by the best image of that Ram Head I've got in my stash of Season 14 Console images...
RamHead.jpg
...I'd say that Ram Head is indeed most accurate without the collar. (And boy, what I wouldn't give to be lucky enough to have six of those! Or at least being able to find a buckle or door knocker to have a friend of mine who just loves making moulds and casting things make some for me. Seriously; if this guy could mould and cast a complete K.I.T.T., he'd do it!)

In fact, I think in a previous discussion these were determined to have been door knockers (or casts from one). You can see the hole for the knocking ring where the ram's mouth is, and there is no "collar" around the ram's neck. So you did really well with those Ram Heads, Nate. (Shame to hear about that falling out, though; that's always a tough thing to bear, and sad to hear about. Hopefully you at least got to keep the mould, since it came from your buckle.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

So I cut several new panels and took the time to pencil in the diamond pattern.
IMG_1029_zpstfzyijas.jpg
IMG_1030_zpsgjfsfgzm.jpg

I did some experiments with the engraver and I don't like how it scores up Masonite..... So I am planning my next move.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Jan 05, 2016, 05:53 am #62 Last Edit: Jan 05, 2016, 05:53 am by galacticprobe
I hope your next plan works out, Nate. Those lines you penciled in are bang on for the diamond pattern on the panel covers! I hope you can get them to turn out with the next try; they will look amazing!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Jan 07, 2016, 10:55 pm #63 Last Edit: Jan 07, 2016, 11:07 pm by warmcanofcoke
I've taken the Dremel and used the saw attachment again because it has so far provided the best results.
IMG_1036A_zpsnoie9exa.jpg
[This one is acceptable. needs minor repair.]
IMG_1035A_zpsvhiuyhec.jpg
[This one is acceptable.]
IMG_1034A_zpsvue2ri59.jpg
IMG_1033A_zpswxa4rtwi.jpg
IMG_1032A_zpsd50i3bq0.jpg
IMG_1031A_zpsllo37rn8.jpg
[This one is acceptable.]

The detailed saw work really taxes the arms. I'm going to set these down for a moment and decide if I want to redo any of them for the final product. I think I can hide minor mistakes with wood putty, paint and varnish. I think I will more than likely redo three of them.

davidnagel

Good work.

As an alternative suggestion, how about cutting up strips of mahogany (or whatever wood texture suits best) fablon and arranging these on your boards? That way you could account for the gaps/dips/adjoining edges and keep that shape - without taxing the arms :)
Regards
David

elkad

I just thought of something. Are you going to add sound effects to your console?

I ask because I found a sound effects circuit board you can attach an amplifier.
It would be cool to see a video with sound effects when your done.  ;D

http://www.adafruit.com/products/2133?&main_page=product_info&products_id=2133

warmcanofcoke

Jan 08, 2016, 01:49 am #66 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 02:15 am by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: davidnagel on Jan 08, 2016, 01:12 am
As an alternative suggestion, how about cutting up strips of mahogany fablon and arranging these on your boards?

Previous attempts to find "Fablon" in America were unsuccessful - now I see they call it Wood Grain Vinyl in the states..... checking the internet now ..... I need to find a local place so I can see the product up close ..... I wonder if they have it at my local Home Despot?

Quote from: elkad on Jan 08, 2016, 01:25 am
I just thought of something. Are you going to add sound effects to your console?

Once it is complete, I first need to wire it up for the lights.  ;D I may need to review a tutorial on how to hook up 12v buttons to the main power. I may need a transformer. {maybe one like this  LEDMO Power Supply, Transformers,LED Adapter, 12V, 5A Max, 60 Watt Max, for LED Strip http://www.amazon.com/LEDMO-Power-Supply-Transformers-Adapter/dp/B01461MOGQ/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JNEEGKVQMVNG42JRHFE}
But once I wire it up for lights, and a recharge dock for my phone .... I could always add sound - there will be plenty of dials to turn it down/off when I'm using it as a nightstand.
Thank you for the link.

galacticprobe

Jan 08, 2016, 06:33 am #67 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016, 10:30 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 08, 2016, 01:49 am
Previous attempts to find "Fablon" in America were unsuccessful - now I see they call it Wood Grain Vinyl in the states...

Nate, if the wood grain vinyl doesn't work (which I hope it does), have you thought of using a knife against your metal straight edge to score those lines into the panel surface? (Can't remember if that's been suggested before.) If you put the back of the knife blade against the straight edge, and gently drag it along the wood with the blade sideways, the blade's tip sort of "scrapes" some wood away, and because the blade is moving sideways it pushes itself against the straight edge so there is almost no chance of the blade "jumping" the track, especially with a light hand. (And that is almost no chance; watch out for wood knots and grain splits/gaps.)

It might take a few passes, but with each pass the scored line will get a little deeper and the blade will just follow the groove it's scored. This would give you the diamond pattern, and it would be on the panel itself so you'd never have to worry about a piece peeling off or curling up on the edges.

Just a thought.

Dino.

davidnagel

You can always do some searching on UK sites, I don't mind giving you a hand by resending said fablon out to you.
Regards
David

greggnowling

Ooooh....where did you get the rectangle buttons?  I need some of those for K9.

Looks stellar mate!

Gregg

warmcanofcoke

Jan 29, 2016, 05:23 pm #70 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2016, 05:56 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: greggnowling on Jan 29, 2016, 04:53 pm
Ooooh....where did you get the rectangle buttons?  I need some of those for K9.

Looks stellar mate!

Gregg

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Mar 16, 2015, 01:20 pm
Quote from: kiwidoc on Mar 16, 2015, 12:01 am
is there a good deal somewhere that you can share?

I collect tardis bits. My attic has several shoe boxes, with parts for just about every classic tardis.  (They are not complete collections  ;) ....yet.) I also have some of that black pipping used in the base of the Eccleston/Tennant Console (went dumpster diving for this thing.). These were collected over a long period of time. I've just reached a certain critical mass of tardis switches for this console recently. As for cost - they weren't that expensive - I just went to ebay and typed in "Rectangle Push Button", then maybe a "colour" into the search criteria, and if you're willing to search for a bit you'll start finding the switches from China where you can get them in lots of 5, 10, 15, 20 etc for reasonable prices.... Personally I had to wait several months for orange to manifest at a reasonable price. Set yourself a budget every week. My strategy is to not buy treats and put that money towards tardis parts. You start to make the justification pretty easily . This item is worth 'so many' candy bars, or 'x amount' of sodas from the vending machine. I sell a lot of my Doctor who items from my adolescence on ebay - it's sort of like a trade.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Mar 16, 2015, 01:42 pm
25× Rectangle Red Momentary Push Button Switch + DC24V Llight NO-COM-NC 16mm $31.50 - Buy It Now - Free shipping - about the cost of a fancy meal somewhere. Or 2 less fancy meals some where.... or three submarine sandwiches ..... or a DVD, or a game on Steam....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Rectangle-Red-Momentary-Push-Button-Switch-DC24V-Llight-NO-COM-NC-16mm-/191124331991?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7fe5ddd7

you can probably find them at an even lower price if you want to take the time.

about $1.26 per switch.

or

5 Pcs Rectangular Orange Cap Indicator Light Accident Signal Lamp DC 24V - $5.56 - Buy It Now - Free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Pcs-Rectangular-Orange-Cap-Indicator-Light-Accident-Signal-Lamp-DC-24V-/321063847774?tfrom=311016342633&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined

$ 1.11 each

If the above links are no longer working the link descriptions will help you do a search on ebay. Rectangular Indicator Light push Button switch ... etc.

warmcanofcoke

Thank you David and Dino. I'm staying with the cut Masonite plan at the moment - I'm in the process of using wood glue to sandwich the cut panels with some underlayment board. I will have an update soon.

greggnowling

warmcanofcoke

made a template
IMG_6679_zpsrpq2tbc9.jpg
cut some Acrylic sheets
IMG_6680_zpsxtlbjz0z.jpg
IMG_6684_zpsmvrh6vg9.jpg
IMG_6683_zps7jjpympi.jpg
IMG_6681_zpsnhoutj28.jpg
IMG_6685_zpskfrq6egh.jpg
Test Fitting discovered some of the drill holes were off center.
IMG_6686_zpsl4lwn03d.jpg
IMG_6687_zpsmbyfmxgr.jpg
IMG_6688_zpsbtn5in5y.jpg
IMG_6690_zpskp5dcbak.jpg
IMG_6689_zpsqlozyp5o.jpg
Took a grinder drill bit and fixed it.
IMG_6691_zpsrontrfsz.jpg
IMG_6692_zpsvktrpfvy.jpg
IMG_6693_zpshi3h7yog.jpg
Took the buttons back out.
IMG_6694_zpsxjkz35er.jpg
Cleaned them with a product called Goof Off. (Sort of like Goo Gone)
IMG_6695_zpshybd8d3h.jpg
Still playing around with Switches.
IMG_6697_zps2iqhzkir.jpg

The best way to calibrate lorentzian spacetime id with a lowrentche.....

galacticprobe

Oct 12, 2016, 06:41 am #74 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2016, 06:44 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 12, 2016, 03:12 am
Cleaned them with a product called Goof Off.

Ah, finally a product named after me! ;D ;D ;D

This looks brilliant, Nate! (I've been hoping to see an update on your build soon, and it was well worth the wait!) This one definitely raises the needle on my Envy(medium-small).jpg meter!

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 12, 2016, 03:12 am
The best way to calibrate lorentzian spacetime id with a lowrentche.....

In the military, depending on how hard you had to "thump" something to make it work, we called it either "Field Calibration" (light thump), or "Percussive Maintenance" (heavy thump... or two). ;)

Great job as always, and I can't wait to see more!

Dino.