Mar 01, 2024, 08:05 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 nightstand

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: 13drwho on Oct 15, 2016, 05:29 pm
My cats are named Harry Sullivan and Sarah Jane Smith.

console progress, fourth panel installed.jpg
Sarah is a cutie.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

13drwho

I'll send her your compliments...

warmcanofcoke

Surprise visit by the parental unit this day. Worked on projects not my own. It was good, just unexpected. I am once again reaching that limit of acceptable short posts. So here is the update : I have trimmed down the panels so they look closer to the size of the originals. (I hope.) I had to remove all the buttons, then cut the panels, then replace the buttons. it had done a number on my hands I can tell you. Curse you carpel tunnel syndrome! Curse you to the gods and back. I plan to make the skeletal hexagonal frames that hold the panels in place and then a couple of desks, then work on drawers then maybe the brass fittings on the top- I'll need to find some varnish that approaches the colour of the Original console. But I'm happy with the work so far. My faithful companion Romana  has been supervising the work and she has done a bang up job. IMG_6751_zpslupq1pr5.jpg
IMG_6750_zps5n68lgak.jpg

I've discovered I really like those rectangle buttons I must acquire some more. I see on ebay you can get 25 of them for $32.50 USD shipping included. so $1.30 each.

I'm tempted. I'll want to build a K9 one day.

galacticprobe

Oct 18, 2016, 06:12 am #93 Last Edit: Oct 18, 2016, 06:12 am by galacticprobe
Those panels look amazing, Nate! I can't wait to see the structure come together. I've wanted one of these consoles since I first saw it back in the early 1980s, but could never figure out the dimensions of it, so I'm really eager to see this old girl grow!

And I looked back through this, maybe I missed it, but are those round lights on the "odd panel" just lights, or are they lighted buttons?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: galacticprobe on Oct 18, 2016, 06:12 am
are those round lights on the "odd panel" just lights, or are they lighted buttons?

Dino.

When I was originally pricing the light up buttons on eBay I discovered they were worth a kings ransom. Later I came across the idea of just buying indicator lights, it turned out they were significantly less expensive. I do have a plan to insert springs between the lights, the rubber washers, and the back panel. I'm hopping it will give the illusion of buttons. They won't be functional as buttons in that they won't activate anything, but I hope they will spring up and down.

I'd like to get some functionality out of some of the controls - someone mentioned sound effects, I have plenty of 100k radial potentiometers maybe I can turn the volume down when I don't want sound. Alternatively maybe I can wire in a CD, an MP3 player or even a radio. I'd still like it if it charged up my phone.

warmcanofcoke

Never fear, I am coming back to this shortly.

galacticprobe

Nov 08, 2016, 04:37 am #97 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2016, 04:37 am by galacticprobe
Never had any doubts about that, Nate. I think we could see how busy you were collecting all of those magnificent reference images for us. Besides, after doing all that work to put those panels together, you'd earned a break from building on the console.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Davros Skaro

Nov 08, 2016, 05:34 am #98 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2016, 05:34 am by davros skaro
WOW, love what you've done here, I've just spent a few hours just reading this post from the beginning, & I must say you've done a brilliant job on it. I don't have the money to buy any of the materials for this sort of thing, have enough troubles getting bits for my small projects. But anyways, keep up the fantastic work & have to agree with Dino, I'm ENVIOUS of this.  :)
Chris.

Scarfwearer

This is looking great!
I feel a great intimacy with this build, as it's a prop that not many others have attempted in quite this form, and you're starting the with the parts that I haven't finished, so I'm learning a lot from what you're doing. :)

I've compromised with the switches though, and most of mine will be dummies made with just the coloured switch caps - at least for the moment (it's been a very time-dilated moment).

I'm looking forward to seeing the next bit. I'm also expecting that you will have better dimensions to work with than I was able to come up with.

Crispin

warmcanofcoke

Nov 19, 2016, 04:12 pm #100 Last Edit: Nov 22, 2016, 12:10 am by warmcanofcoke
Thank you everybody for the kind word of support and praise.

Crispin your build set the bar quite high. I'm starting a new job come Monday and look forward to the extra funds for my Tardis Building needs.

warmcanofcoke

Dec 02, 2016, 01:43 pm #101 Last Edit: Dec 02, 2016, 01:47 pm by warmcanofcoke
Started the new job Thanksgiving week - I get to push buttons and make people happy - All the people who work there are awesome. I get an employee discount. And I found these boxes that I am going to turn into drawers for the nightstand.
Drawer.jpg
Yes making a wooden box isn't too difficult - but isn't it nice when you find a shortcut.
felt.jpg
To line the drawers I have found this Red Velvet paper.
And to top it all off, I found a Round-to-it.
Round to it.jpg
Literally if this is the correct size I won't have to try and make my own circle for the crown of the Nightstand. I just need to put in a wooden dowel in the center, with some wood putty.

Guess I need to find some varnish soon.

galacticprobe

Dec 03, 2016, 07:19 am #102 Last Edit: Dec 03, 2016, 07:20 am by galacticprobe
Great find on that "round-to-it"! ;D It looks really smooth along the sides. And with that hole in the center, if it happens to be a tad on the large side, you can always put a proper-sized bolt through it, clamp the bold into the chuck of a lathe (or a drill); then get it spinning and with a file or sanding block work it down to the right size.

If it's a tad small, I don't think anyone would notice. It's a great find indeed. The surface is perfect! It's going to look magnificent once you get the stain on it.

Dino.
P. S. If pushing buttons makes the people you work for happy, then that console should work wonders on them thanks to all of its buttons! ;)

warmcanofcoke

Dec 05, 2016, 07:09 pm #103 Last Edit: Dec 05, 2016, 07:21 pm by warmcanofcoke
So many many people have recommended Fablon or wood grain vinyl to make the diamond shape on the wood panel covers of the Jules Verne console. I wanted something that didn't feel like plastic.
I found an interesting option:Faux leather wood grain. It feels nice and soft, yet I'm sure once a wooden panel is applied to the back surface it will feel like wood.
Faux Leather.jpg
Faux Leather too.jpg
and I have found a stain that feels right. Time will tell.
Stain.jpg

I have put the first coat on the inside of the drawers - have to do things in the world and then I will return and stain the outside.

Cardinal Hordriss

How's this coming along?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...