Jul 19, 2024, 01:10 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 nightstand

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Ideally I would like to learn how to wire the buttons up. So they would illuminate, and play a classic sound effect when pressed. I would be able to turn the sound off, I have plenty of working knobs so i'll be able to play with the volume and run silently if I want. I have an extra amp laying around the house, maybe I can work this into the build. I could plug in a microphone or a guitar right into the console. (I have it on good authority going to conventions with Tardis consoles is the thing to do now.)

So I would like to see if I can find a quarter inch jack I can attach to one of the panels and then inside the console the patch cord would go right into the amp's jack. Maybe I can wire the gain and the power switch into one of the console panels.

now the just plain dreaming part. The stuff I haven't a clue about. It might be cool if a couple of the switches could via bluetooth .. or sum such wireless communication.. turn on lights all over the house, activate my video projector, or some other function. That would be cool.

The other thing I don't know how to do : in one of the episodes the buttons on the console were flashing a sequence across the panel. So I dont know if I would want the lights doing that all the time, but maybe I could press a button on the console to get that effect, an then press it again to turn it off.

There is a lot to think about. I am a fan of push buttons, switches, knobs, dials and levers - but they should do something too.

elkad

I'm the kind of person who likes a button or switch to do something.
I always wanted to have a console with my computer in it so I could flick a switch & open up the wall screen, (possibly using a wide screen TV or projector behind a opaque screen), & play videos, or surf the net on a Tardis Wall Screen.  :P Ooo, just thinking of it is making me drool.

Adjust or change the color of the room lighting, lock my bedroom door, On-Com the various rooms, open a panel to play a various of old style cartridge games, maybe have a switch that ejects a keyboard & mouse pad from the control panel. Exchangeable panels, for each series of consoles. (AKA, my version of the Architectural Configuration. ;D

OOooo, SOoo, Meany, Ides, & so little time.  I WANT MY TARDIS TO HAVE IT ALL. :'(

It always comes down to, "What IF". (time machine quoat)

warmcanofcoke

We all have our time machines.... ;D

Volpone

The sheer number of buttons makes for a daunting task--although I'm just a simple caveman.  Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes when I fly to Europe on the Concorde, I wonder, am I inside some sort of giant bird? Am I gonna be digested? I don't know, because I'm a caveman, and that's the way I think.  Some others here might have some more practical advice. 

I'd probably keep things simple; maybe have a button in the row light up buttons.  Have one that plays random sounds.  KISS. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 29, 2019, 03:14 am #140 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2019, 03:15 am by warmcanofcoke
Thank you. I will give it some thought.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 29, 2019, 04:21 am #141 Last Edit: Oct 29, 2019, 04:40 am by warmcanofcoke
Today I found the black plastic that I was looking for in the basement. Thank goodness I had some more and I got a new replacement black plastic control panel.

Also this:
IMG_20191028_154504.jpgIMG_20191028_154514.jpgIMG_20191010_112958.jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

Slight side question - As you wouldn't have set out to build such a difficult prop unless it was your absolute favourite I wondered what you think the purpose of those white blocks is.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

warmcanofcoke

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=dlattach;k=461;topic=9887.0;attach=214710;image

Because of some of the rough edges on my white doodads, I'm jokingly refer to them as Chronodyne wafers. [Chronodyne was used in The Armageddon factor.] 

Sometimes I think of them like the vents on top of the Brachacki and Sharp Consoles.

They could be speaker grills. Or why have speakers when the audio could be telepathic in nature.

Truth be told I think the set builder just needed to add something to the panel to make it look cool.

redfern

"Chronodyne wafers"...I like that term!  New, endearingly goofy technobabble to roll off the tongue. ;D

Sincerely,

Bill

Cardinal Hordriss

That is a great name for them.

I thought they might be a telepathic interface or palm/fingerprint scanner but that doesn't sound nearly as cool.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

warmcanofcoke

Who says it doesn't do both. ;D

Cardinal Hordriss

Fair point.

Last time I saw chronodyne wafers they were sticking out of a trans-temporal ice cream covered in timeywhimey sauce and kontron sprinkles.

warmcanofcoke

Sounds like an awesome Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream‎ Flavor. ;D
https://www.benjerry.com/

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Oct 30, 2019, 02:56 am
As you wouldn't have set out to build such a difficult prop unless it was your absolute favourite

It is my favorite secondary control console.  ;D
But I love all the consoles - just don't have room.  :-\
As far as I'm concerned this room was always in the background of the TARDIS in the classic series.   8)