News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 nightstand

Started by warmcanofcoke, Mar 15, 2015, 10:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Side Tracked  ;D
I will get back to it.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

May 10, 2017, 04:18 pm #106 Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 04:34 pm by warmcanofcoke
Cut a bunch of 30º angles.
IMG_7163.jpg
Perhaps my Saw needs to be calibrated or something.....
I'll see what can be done after I get back from Ottawa Comic Con.

Volpone

1) I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems getting angles to marry up.
2) Along with the obligatory ladder shot for TARDIS builds, I think at least one photo in a build diary requires an animal, supervising the build, so you've checked that box. 
3) This is coming along quite nicely.
4) A couple of the photos, where the overhead lamp reflects on your control panels, kind of has a nuWho feel to them.  The big gold concentric circles on the panel remind me of the new Gallifreyan writing.  It looks kind of neat--but I have no idea how you could get that effect if you wanted it (apart from having a lamp hanging above the panel that reflects from the shiny surface. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

May 12, 2017, 04:17 am #108 Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 04:37 am by galacticprobe
To go with the above:

1) Agreed; you should have seen what I went through when restoring that old wooden skiff years ago;
2) Agreed (and it's even better when they're helping wrap presents!);
3) Agreed! Totally, completely, agreed!
4) Agreed, but there were also light reflections in the Classic Series as well. The "big gold concentric circles on the panel..." Maybe it's my stanky old wizzard eyes, but I can't see those in any of the reflections. (I do see lighting reflections, but nothing that looks like Gallifreyan writing. So... whatever you've been drinking, Other Steve, I want some! ;D ;D ;D)

Still doing a great job, Nate, and I'm looking forward to each Update. (And between this build, Crispin's Season 14 console build, and Tony's hopefully-soon-forthcoming Article on the Season 14 Newbery props and sets, the wife is hoping that we'll be able to compile enough info so my uncle can help build one of these... at least the shell; I'll work the innards.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

barnacle

Yes, I would check the saw's calibration.  I usually use a protractor if I have to make any angled cuts to mark the first bit of lumber/sacrificial test bit-of-lumber to make sure I have the angle dialed in as close as possible.

On the plus side, your cut looks to be 28-29 degrees to leave the circle open, so you can carefully re-cut your existing pieces... I'm famous for cutting twice and having it still come up short...

warmcanofcoke

Talking to a friend  it has been suggested that I didn't take in in to account the width of the Saw blade. So despite having set the saw to cut 30 degree angles.... I really needed to set it 30.5º or 31º ... this idea seams a little strange to me .... I've cut 45º before and they came out alright. Wouldn't it make sense; if there were a need to take in to account the width of the blade - the measurements should be pre-adjusted to help the idiot factor.   ::)

Davros Skaro

Look at a protractor, it's 180 deg, a circle is 360, your dividing it into 6, there for logically it would put the angles at a 60 deg angle (6X60 =360).
hope this makes some sense, I could be wrong, but worth a try with some scrap, or with some card.

Chris.
Chris.

warmcanofcoke

May 13, 2017, 12:26 am #112 Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:27 am by warmcanofcoke
Yes, but two 30 degree angles = one 60 degree angle. 12 cuts.

Davros Skaro

Oops, your right, I forgot to halve it for the 2 pieces, just got up, brain only just working (morning here in Australia), LMSO, all good.  :D

Chris.
Chris.

warmcanofcoke

Is cool Chris  ;D

silverfox

Might be a stupid question but have you made sure that the length of all your pieces is exactly the same?
If one was slightly short or slightly longer than the others it would have the same effect.

warmcanofcoke

All 6 pieces match hen you pile them up. Ive even flipped them to check that both ides are the same.

Volpone

Have you tried reversing the polarity? ;)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

warmcanofcoke

Have cut 1 degree off 12 sides. - The angle is getting closer to true.
Thought I'd see just how big this thing was going to be.
So I'm doing a test fitting.
IMG_7302.jpg
IMG_7303.jpg
IMG_7304.jpg
IMG_7305.jpg

Davros Skaro

I like your "Mini" set of draws, you have there!  :) :o

Chris.
Chris.