Mar 29, 2024, 12:16 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The14thDr's TARDIS Console Mk.II

Started by The14thDr, Feb 19, 2015, 02:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Thanks Dino I think I've got it now. ;D I also put a link to the build diary at the very top of this thread to make it easier for people to find.
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

galacticprobe

Apr 30, 2015, 03:06 pm #16 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2015, 03:06 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Apr 30, 2015, 06:24 am
I also put a link to the build diary at the very top of this thread to make it easier for people to find.

I can see that! Well done! (I guess I can't think of everything, so it's nice to see some fresh eyes coming up with new ideas!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

May 01, 2015, 07:17 pm #17 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2015, 06:55 am by The14thDr
Here's a quick photo I took of the console on my mobile phone. You can see the newly-painted door levers on panel 1 and the glowing time rotor.
IMG_20150427_185539.jpg
IMG_201504117_065952.jpg

galacticprobe

May 02, 2015, 02:30 pm #18 Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:32 pm by galacticprobe
Looking good, 14th! One thing I just thought of: have you considered adding some "frosting" to the time rotor so the glow shows up a bit more? Also, what about a color-changing LED fixture that could come on when "in flight" to show that your TARDIS is moving?

And is she going to stay on the table like that, or are you planning to build a plinth for her at some point?

And for being mostly made of cardboard, she looks quite sturdy! Well done!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

May 02, 2015, 03:57 pm #19 Last Edit: Sep 08, 2018, 10:07 pm by The14thDr
Thanks Dino. I've got some 'warm white' LED string lights that I'll be wrapping around the outer tubes (which you can't see here, but I think I posted something about them in my build diary) and eventually I think I'll add some flashing LEDs and use some technical jiggery-pokery to make sure that they turn on and flash when I pull the big demat lever, hopefully in time to the TARDIS sound FX (great idea BTW, thanks!) ;D
As for the plinth I don't think I'll bother building one. I quite like the fact that having the extra table space around the edge of the console means I get a McGann-style shelf.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

The14thDr

I finally got round to making a belated prop showcase video for the console. It basically explains how I made the TARDIS, including all the levers, buttons, switches and time rotor.

The14thDr

Jul 30, 2015, 06:51 am #21 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2015, 06:53 am by The14thDr
Hello again. Just thought I'd pop by and post some more photos of the console's time rotor at various stages of illumination.

Lights off:
image.jpg
Centre bottle on:
image.jpg
All lights on:
image.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'll try to upload some more close-ups in the not-too-distant future. Kind regards, The14thDr :D

galacticprobe

Jul 30, 2015, 11:43 pm #22 Last Edit: Jul 30, 2015, 11:48 pm by galacticprobe
And to save on our necks (again)...

image1.jpg
Lights off...

image2.jpg
Centre bottle on...

image3.jpg
All lights on.

And this is one of those instances where the photos "look" upright on the computer (as when I saved them and opened them to view them), but must have been taken with a mobile device of some sort. This is why it is important to do a "Save As..." and overwrite the file even if the photo looks upright. There was obviously a disparage with the photo's orientation and the metadata, but doing the "Save As..." and overwriting the file fixed that.

Dino.

The14thDr

Apologies once again Dino. :P
I double-checked the photos and did the Save As... thing just to be sure, and everything looked fine from my end. I think from now-on I need to remember to take photos from my camera, to save our members' (and guests') necks!

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

galacticprobe

Jul 31, 2015, 11:40 pm #24 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2015, 11:41 pm by galacticprobe
14th, your console upgrades are looking great.

I'm just curious about the photos, but did you post those from a computer, or a mobile device such as a tablet, iPad, etc.? That could be why your images posted sideways... maybe. They looked fine on my computer when I saved them, but I did the "Save As..." anyway, and then they were upright when I reposted them.

Since this seems to be a hit-and-miss thing with images being posted recently, I'm just trying to figure out why. I know with the increased use of mobile devices that people are posting some images from them, but in order to ensure that images post upright the images might need to be transferred to a regular desktop computer and checked there (and have the "Save As..." done on the computer), and then posted from the computer, not the mobile device.

It's always a trial and error (and a frackload of guesswork) figuring out strange issues like this.

Dino.

klamath

That is a fantastic console! I really like the design of the time rotor. Any plans to wire up the levers and switches to anything?