News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Metal fixtures on the Season 14 Console

Started by warmcanofcoke, Feb 07, 2015, 07:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Feb 07, 2015, 07:16 pm Last Edit: Feb 07, 2015, 07:43 pm by warmcanofcoke
Quote from: meantimebob on Sep 25, 2009, 01:43 am
Here's a few pics of those rams. I can't work out what the area beneath the nose is, any ideas?

rams.jpg

Quote from: lespaceplie on Oct 27, 2010, 01:42 am
I believe I have found a closer version of the ram's head. It's not a furniture adornment but a 1970s belt buckle (hardware removed in Photoshop). The little cavity under the chin seen in the screen grabs is probably where the screw goes. The head adornment appears more stylized in this item than in the screen grabs, but that's not a difficult change to make.

ramshead.jpg

I'm not sure if Crispin even visits the forum anymore however I found something in my travels on ebay.
Two listings on ebay
1. Vtg BIGHORN SHEEP Belt Buckle RAM Bergamot 1975 Pewter 3D Horns RARE MINT
Bergamot%20sheep%20001_zpswwnb6nqr.jpg
Bergamot%20sheep%20002_zpsolss9gnh.jpg

2. Vintage Bergamot Brass Works 1975 Ram Belt Buckle Heavy Duty
Bergamot%20sheep%20004_zpsad5jldb7.jpg
Bergamot%20sheep%20006_zpsc1keiurf.jpg
Bergamot%20sheep%20003_zpspxlkb6n6.jpg
Bergamot%20sheep%20007_zpscha6aira.jpg
Bergamot%20sheep%20005_zpszets43fk.jpg

Now I'm not sure if these are the actual rams head fixtures / escutcheons on the season 14 Tardis console. * but it might help us identify the proper fixtures when the time comes.

Best of luck to those trying to make this excellent console.
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Feb 07, 2015, 10:46 pm #1 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015, 01:45 pm by warmcanofcoke
Reviewing the work here on the forum by it's many contributors, and examining the work by Scarfwearer. [ http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=284.0 ]
This Topic should be an excellent place to show reference images of the metal fixtures on the Season 14 Console. Feel free to add additional content.
Rams%20head%20006_zpsdrwjk65s.jpg
*Note the Brass Ram's head fixtures on the side of the Console. (The Time Ram)
Rams%20head%20005_zps1o9hhfxb.jpg
Rams%20head%20002_zpspysxj1np.jpg
Rams%20head%20001_zpsxnrokn7h.jpg
Rams%20head%20003_zpsjnlxnkcy.jpg

kiwidoc

Excellent spotting - that looks really close if not identical to the screenshots - surely it has to be the item?

warmcanofcoke

Feb 08, 2015, 01:38 pm #3 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015, 01:42 pm by warmcanofcoke
I'm not sure. It is very close. It could equally be the buckle that lespaceplie found. This console doesn't have much screen time in the series so unless some behind the scenes photos turn up that were not included on the DVDs we may never know. .... We may never identify the "Time Ram."  :P

galacticprobe

Feb 08, 2015, 03:54 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 08, 2015, 04:12 pm by galacticprobe
I think somewhere in scarfwearer's build diary someone found a close-up detailed image of the ram's head (one very similar, if not the exact same one used on the prop):
RamHead01.jpg
A very nice image of the ram's head viewed straight-on...

RamHead02.jpg
...and from the side, where you can see the screw holes that would be used to mount this.

RamsHeads(Grouped).jpg
Just for comparison, this is a collage I think scarfwearer put together while he was contemplating on sculpting one of these, and then casting more from a mould made from the sculpt.

And then don't forget the little lion's heads that were also on this little cutie:
LionsHead(Top).jpg
There was one at the top of each of the narrow post/fins that separated the console's lower half panels...

LionsHead(Bottom).jpg
...and one at the bottom as well. (Not the greatest images, I know, but they at least show the little heads are rounder than the rams' heads, and I think at the end of the discussion about them it was decided they were lions' heads.) So there would be 12 of these little things on the console!

I wish I had the talent for woodworking that scarfwearer - and many other members - have because I would love to build this! (And now lespaceplie knows why I was asking if he was going to tackle the dims of this console. ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

What are the "pipe holders" called? If I went to my local "Home Despot" what would I be looking for?
pipe%20holdersb_zpsfzuycqql.jpg

tony farrell

These are typically used as supports for clothes rails inside wardrobes or cupboards and go by the name of centre (center) rail supports!
T

warmcanofcoke

tony farrell

Mar 17, 2015, 09:05 am #8 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2015, 09:06 am by Tony Farrell
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 16, 2015, 09:11 pm
These are typically used as supports for clothes rails inside wardrobes or cupboards and go by the name of centre (center) rail supports!
T

This isn't the correct diameter/height - but you get the idea

$T2eC16V,!wsE9suw)qWDBRwuT7puS!~~60_58.JPG

Tony

warmcanofcoke

Mar 17, 2015, 01:09 pm #9 Last Edit: Mar 17, 2015, 01:10 pm by warmcanofcoke
I went to my local Home Depot and was sent from department -> to department -> to department. None of the employees had ever seen one =P
Looking on eBay most sellers are in the U.K. - I've been able to find them on Amazon. The most popular inner diameter sizes are 25mm and 20mm (sometimes called 19mm).
I'm guessing the 19/20 mm inner diameter one are closest to the originals. ... I hope it isn't some even smaller size that is hard to find......

So
I'm looking for a set of centre rail supports but I'm also trying to find a bail drawer pull that looks like the ones on the console.

trying to match door furniture is going to take some time.

Elvis Gump

A Home Depot or Lowe's  or indeed most hardware stores in the US are only going to have the most basic hardware bits in their stores, and the styles of such things change as buyers decide what to stock. Even their extended on-line catalogs won't have a lot of stuff that resembles things made more than to years ago or older. Your better bet is to do Google Image searches looking for things like decorative bits or pull handles, hinges and other cabinet hardware looking for matches.

meantimebob

Have you tried looking in Chandlery suppliers?

Actually I saw this on ebay and immediately thought of the season 14 console.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200916195879?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

expendable

Try looking for "Gallery Rails", also known as Desk Rails or Kitchen Rails.

warmcanofcoke

Found a set on eBay, thanks  :P
I appreciate you guys looking out for me. You give me options and it keeps me looking.   ;)

galacticprobe

Mar 18, 2015, 05:23 am #14 Last Edit: Mar 18, 2015, 05:39 am by galacticprobe
Nate, for the Panel Cover Pulls/Handles, take a look at Van Dyke's Restorers (http://www.vandykes.com). They've got a wide variety of "drop pulls", and just a quick glance at those I found these:

DropPull01.jpg
(Available in different widths; only color)
http://www.vandykes.com/classic-hardware-1700-circa-rustico-brass-drop-pull/p/215516/

DropPull02.jpg
(Available in different widths and finishes; "Antique Brass Distressed" shown)
http://www.vandykes.com/classic-hardware-1800-circa-classic-curved-brass-drop-pull/p/215524/

DropPull03.jpg
(Available in different widths and finishes; "Burnished Silver" shown, with "Antique Brass Light" insert)
http://www.vandykes.com/marella-antique-petal-decorative-drop-pull/p/215718/

All of the above are about $9 (and change) US. They've also got a larger selection of "Bail Pulls"...
http://www.vandykes.com/bail-pulls/c/1770/
...in a similar price range (some a little higher, some a little lower, some a lot higher), but just about all of them come in a selection of widths and finishes; some look even closer to those on the Panel Covers than the ones posted above.

No sign of the "rod holders" though. (Maybe you can get one of our UK members to help get some for you?) As for the size of those, have you checked Crispin's Build Diary to see if he mentioned what size he used?

Anyway, I hope this is of some help.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"