News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Interior lighting???

Started by Volpone, Jan 28, 2015, 05:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lym

That's V21, the box on Verdun Road.

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8310

It was indeed one of the early wooden/concrete boxes. Not sure if the roof was unpainted or not - I've also heard that the paint on these early ones was fairly prone to running. Interestingly it's also been noted that this one in particular has windows that are longer than the panels, something that hasn't been seen on any other Mark 1 yet.

Andrew Harvey

Thanks for that re-direction there Lym! I had no idea those beautiful pictures were there! I clearly see now the windows being longer than the other panels. Cor! Great stuff.
  Andrew

dr hue

QuoteAvoncroft Museum - City of London - 1953 Pattern PA3 Police pillar
I believe this is Post 33? Its hard to tell after the Database was corrupted after the forum shutdown a few years ago.
DSCF5329.JPG

33 here:

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=6694.msg88901#msg88901

WonderWheeler

Feb 18, 2024, 07:15 am #18 Last Edit: Feb 18, 2024, 07:27 am by WonderWheeler
Quote from: alexcutler on Sep 02, 2022, 03:30 pmIt is indeed a wooden prototype, and the part that is a different colour is the part that is concrete on those models - I suspect it is not yet painted, but if anyone know better I am sure they will comment shortly!...

1. The paint must be some kind of gloss or semigloss paint but of the same color. Notice you can see a bit of a reflection of the dark "nuclear reactor" type light and stand in the roof. And the brightness of the overcast sky. Also some of the corners and top edges of the wall and wall projections and corners also reflect the brightness of the sky. I'm an architect and am pretty sure that is what is going on with the seemingly lightened colors there.

2. In another part of the thread, someone mentioned the interior lighting. Here is a picture of the electrical control that operates the flashing light along with the flashing red light.  https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3801.msg104298#msg104298   Slightly farther in the thread by the way is a picture of the pendant light inside the police box at the ceiling. As well as the nearby vent holes.

alexcutler

Quote from: WonderWheeler on Feb 18, 2024, 07:15 am
Quote from: alexcutler on Sep 02, 2022, 03:30 pmIt is indeed a wooden prototype, and the part that is a different colour is the part that is concrete on those models - I suspect it is not yet painted, but if anyone know better I am sure they will comment shortly!...

1. The paint must be some kind of gloss or semigloss paint but of the same color. Notice you can see a bit of a reflection of the dark "nuclear reactor" type light and stand in the roof. And the brightness of the overcast sky. Also some of the corners and top edges of the wall and wall projections and corners also reflect the brightness of the sky. I'm an architect and am pretty sure that is what is going on with the seemingly lightened colors there.

2. In another part of the thread, someone mentioned the interior lighting. Here is a picture of the electrical control that operates the flashing light along with the flashing red light.  https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3801.msg104298#msg104298   Slightly farther in the thread by the way is a picture of the pendant light inside the police box at the ceiling. As well as the nearby vent holes.

Hmm.  I do not believe there is any convincing photographic evidence that any of the early (prototype & MkI) Police Boxes were painted in any form of gloss paint - apart from the wooden exhibition prototype, photographed at Olympia.  When they started painting them dark blue they certainly did use gloss (and we have plenty of photos with reflections to show this), but the copious photos we've got when they were clearly a lighter blue, fail to show anything other than a matt paint.

This is one of the reasons  I think the roof is still bare cast concrete, which can often have a slightly reflective surface.  But again - perhaps this is yet another 'exceptional' box - it won't be the first or the last.

WonderWheeler

Feb 20, 2024, 08:31 am #20 Last Edit: Feb 20, 2024, 08:34 am by WonderWheeler
Quote from: alexcutler on Feb 19, 2024, 01:29 pm
Quote from: WonderWheeler on Feb 18, 2024, 07:15 am
Quote from: alexcutler on Sep 02, 2022, 03:30 pmHmm.  I do not believe there is any convincing photographic evidence that any of the early (prototype & MkI) Police Boxes were painted in any form of gloss paint - apart from the wooden exhibition prototype, photographed at Olympia.  When they started painting them dark blue they certainly did use gloss (and we have plenty of photos with reflections to show this), but the copious photos we've got when they were clearly a lighter blue, fail to show anything other than a matt paint.

A coworker years ago observed that my old car with oxidized paint looked like it had a new paint job when sitting in the rain. I think a damp or wet roof on a police box, I know it rains in London, can have the same effect as gloss paint, making it look slick and reflective.