Apr 20, 2024, 01:15 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:4 Sharp Console

Started by lespaceplie, Jan 20, 2015, 04:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Jan 20, 2015, 04:17 pm Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 08:55 pm by lespaceplie
Though I also have the Kelt build going, this one is started, too. It could slow progress on either, but it saves laser cutting expense by grouping components on the same sheets. Fortunately, this console is an easier build.

This console is probably the least consistent with changes to the controls happening all the time. Instead of nailing the look from a single episode, I'm going with the configurations that I like best or are easier to construct. For instance, I'm going with the later rotor with the longer, single tube lights.

For added authenticity and realism for a fan video, the construction will use thin plywood in many areas. The rotor housing will be constructed from thin acrylic sheet instead of a ready-made tube (generally too thick-walled). Instead of using a gel, I snagged some 1" red acrylic tubing. I have way more of it than is required (enough to construct 4 rotors) so the remainder could find its way back to eBay.

red_tube.jpg

lespaceplie

Jan 25, 2015, 05:26 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2015, 05:26 am by lespaceplie
Finding a 1 - 1.5 mm thick fluorescent yellow acrylic sheet has proved impossible. It's all 3 mm or thicker. It later occurred to me that there are plenty of cheap iPhone cases made of just such a material! They're likely acrylic or polycarbonate.

fluoro.jpg

lespaceplie

Feb 02, 2015, 11:10 pm #2 Last Edit: Feb 02, 2015, 11:28 pm by lespaceplie
D'oh! I got the iPhone case, but it's much more flexible than anticipated. I don't believe it is polycarbonate and likely too soft to file. Nonetheless I have an even better solution! Clear neon CD standard jewel cases are just large enough and acrylic to boot. They will provide fodder not only for the citron colored strips but something to construct the central pink triangular tube.

Earlier I had suggested that I'd use mini plywood where possible, but I'm changing that idea. In the interest of precision, it's going to mostly be plastic afterall. In fact, I'm going to avoid painting where possible thanks to black styrene and grey ABS sheets.

galacticprobe

Feb 03, 2015, 06:21 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2015, 06:21 am by galacticprobe
Something else just hit me - one of those occasional thoughts I get when my spare brain cell wakes up. For those yellow plastic strips - especially the long ones needed for the top of the column - how about one of those glowy clipboards? I know they sell them at places like Office Max/Depot, or other office supply places. They'll offer more structural support than a CD jewel case would, and they're not all that expensive. One, maybe two clipboards should do the trick.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lespaceplie

Those are actually great for a full size replica (though not much cheaper than a plain fluoro acrylic sheet). The problem is that they're too thick for this scale, which needs something around 1 mm thick. For a 1:4 model, those strips are only 2-1/4" long.

Another way to go, which isn't cheap at all, is to laser cut 1 mm strips from 5 mm thick sheets. The edge of the source material becomes the face.

galacticprobe

Feb 03, 2015, 09:41 pm #5 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2015, 09:42 pm by galacticprobe
Duh... stupid me. :P I forgot this is a scale version and not a 1:1 build. (Maybe I should tell that brain cell to go back to sleep! ;))

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

lespaceplie

Feb 03, 2015, 10:29 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2015, 07:52 pm by lespaceplie
We have a winner! $2.99 acrylic storage boxes from Michaels (craft store). They're just large enough for the yellow only.

UPDATE: The pink central tube is now resolved with some desk organizer baskets from Dollar Tree. Those are the perfect fluoro pink/red in 1.5 mm acrylic. I might try another location to see if there are yellow ones as well. Otherwise the storage boxes will be fine.

organizer.jpg

rob49152

How big is the case? I'm looking for the same (1.5mm thick yellow acrylic) but at least 18mm long.

lespaceplie

The tops of these boxes are 8 x 12 cm - too small. The baskets from Dollar Tree (and Target in the "One Spot" section) are definitely large enough if the colors can be found.

markofrani

If it's of any help, for my 1:6 Pertwee console I used clear styrene with the self-adhesive tinted window film applied. There's plenty of colours on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-x-610mm-ROLL-TRANSPARENT-COLOURED-WINDOW-FILM-SELF-ADHESIVE-VINYL-FABLON-TYPE-/221041303658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item337716a06a

lespaceplie

For the moment I've had to bail on constructing the rotor housing cylinder from scratch. The 1 mm acrylic sheet could be coaxed to bend to that diameter, but it formed fine striations that were quite visible. This might be avoided by heating the plastic, but a sheet this thin might droop or shrink. A 150 mm acrylic tube has been ordered for now.

Incidentally, sourcing all these plastic parts has revealed lots of pieces that are suitable for much smaller builds. Character Options doesn't seem to be in any hurry to manufacture classic consoles so...

lespaceplie

image.jpeg

This project is finally rolling again with laser cut panels.

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

galacticprobe

Dec 13, 2015, 05:27 pm #13 Last Edit: Dec 13, 2015, 05:27 pm by galacticprobe
Whoa! What Nate said! :o :o :o

Dino.

lespaceplie

I'm restarting this one after having abandoned most of my projects in last year's move from Georgia to Colorado. That was a brutal trimming, let me tell you! Free local laser cutting and $1 acrylic clipboards from Walmart to the rescue!

acrylic.jpg