Apr 24, 2024, 10:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Console Room Set

Started by barryrwuk, Jan 18, 2015, 12:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

barryrwuk

Thanks Tony.

Here is a quick render to show how I have modelled the screen inside the scanner housing. I have lightened up the internal bits so that you can see them more clearly. As you can see the screen is, as you describe, set back about 2 inches.

monitor_01.png

I happy with most of this now except for the top cross piece. I am having trouble seeing it in the picture that you suggest despite increasing the brightness. However, I'm sure it is there.

However, I feel like I am becoming bogged down with the monitor at the moment so I shall move on to something else for a couple of days (probably the castors  :D ) and finish the monitor housing after that.

Thanks for all the help and support.

Barry

rob49152

VTS_03_1_mpeg4_mp3.avi_000338172.jpg

Here's a frame grab I have from when I modeled this console room a few years ago. Hope it helps

barryrwuk

Jan 29, 2015, 12:52 pm #62 Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015, 12:56 pm by barryrwuk
Thanks for the frame grab, rob49152. It certainly serves to illustrate the problems that I'm having with the scanner housing.

The main issue is that the construction of the housing went through several changes over the first three episodes. It isn't easy to determine which changes were structural and which cosmetic.

Here are the examples that I have been staring at for the past few days.

1) Pilot

pilot.jpg

Not much to say about this one other than I am glad that they changed it.

2) Unearthly Child Ep 1

uc_01.jpg

Lots of right angles here. It is too dark to see if the black surround is curved or rectangular. The picture on the screen is physically smaller but I think that has been produced electronically rather than by the introduction of a second surround deeper in the box.

3) Unearthly Child Ep 4

uc_02.jpg

Uber shiny. It looks like this might have been clad in thin metal sheet as Tony has previously suggested. Even the front of the housing looks reflective. If so, the covering on the sides is wrapped around onto the front of the box by about 1/2". There is also a panel which lines up with the bottom of the screen but finishes some distance short of the top. I think that Tony gives the height of this panel as 17" in his 50th Anniversary Blueprints. The gap between the panel and the screen aperture looks, to my eyes, to be about 1/2"... ish... maybe.

4) The Daleks Ep 1

td_01.jpg

This is the closest to the frame grab that rob49152 posted above. We can finally see that the black surround has a curved hole. The panel is missing and we can see the same controls as in rob49152's post. However, the vertical part of the housing between the screen aperture and the space where the panel was remains at, about, 1/2" - in rob49152's frame grab it looks to be more like 2 1/2" and reaches to the top of the screen aperture.

5) The Edge of Destruction

ed_01.jpg

This is the one that I'm aiming for. They are finally using the whole of the monitor to display the image. The 17" high panel has returned and is reflecting nicely. The vertical space between it and the screen still looks like 1/2" at this point. Interestingly the front of the box to the right of the panel is no longer as reflective as the panel. In Unearthly Child Ep4 it had appeared exactly as reflective as the panel. Perhaps they had removed the metal cladding. Perhaps they had painted the metal cladding. Answers on a postcard to...

It looks like they rebuilt the scanner housing more times than I have... and that's saying something.  :D

Barry

Rassilons Rod

Also, the half roundel on the underside looks lighter than the body of the housing. Could it be that is white too?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

barryrwuk

OK. At the expense, once again, of the castors, I have spent some time having yet another go at the scanner.

monitor_again.png

Based on this...

monitor_again_ref.jpg

And that, for the moment, is that... as far as scanners go.

Now, where did I put those castor pictures...

Barry  :D

barryrwuk

I haven't had much of a chance to spend time on the console room for the past few days. Real life got in the way, darn it!

Anyway, I have at least, finally, put some castors on the bottom of the monitor stand. WooHoo!  :D

castors.png

Barry

barryrwuk

And so it begins...

console_01.jpg

TheWitch

Ooooooh how I've been looking forward to this!

- Tom

Rassilons Rod

Very cool!

You'll have me working on mine again :)
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Quote from: Tom_J on Feb 03, 2015, 01:30 pm

- Tom

You're not the only one!

galacticprobe

Feb 03, 2015, 10:08 pm #70 Last Edit: Feb 03, 2015, 10:09 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tom_J on Feb 03, 2015, 01:30 pm

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 03, 2015, 06:40 pm
You're not the only one!

Shall we make it unanimous in that? :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

barryrwuk

So, no pressure then?

barryrwuk

Feb 05, 2015, 06:49 pm #72 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2015, 06:50 pm by barryrwuk
Here we go then. The start of panel 6. I assume that everyone starts with panel 6? It looks like the easiest and has a lot of components that appear on the other panels.

Those ping-pong ball light thingies are really odd, aren't they? Do we know what they started off life as?

Anyway...

console_02.jpg

...so far, so good.

Barry  :D

tony farrell

Feb 05, 2015, 09:15 pm #73 Last Edit: Feb 05, 2015, 09:18 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: barryrwuk on Feb 05, 2015, 06:49 pm
Those ping-pong ball light thingies are really odd, aren't they? Do we know what they started off life as?
console_02.jpg
...so far, so good.

You're being too modest Barry - to quote David Bank's Cyberleader: This is excellent!

To answer your question, I think it would be fair to say that the consensus here on TB is that the dome is a single piece formed out of fibre glass (hence the discolouration seen down the years) which has a painted top half. The outer ring/bezel is clearly made of metal (the screws are countersunk and the paint can be seen to have peeled away on both the dome and bezel in the "Strangers in Space" screen grab below).

Chris/Celation kindly shared some of the principal dimensions he used and I've posted these elsewhere. Chris has made his collars from 2mm thick metal (i.e., from what is available in the UK today) whereas I think the collars were slightly thicker (0.125") being made from the then-available imperial thicknesses of metal.

d1-1a-074.jpg01x06-TheAztecs_01.jpghi000750004.jpg[/attach]FASTRETURN.jpgmuseum1.pngFast_Return.jpgsensorites_title.jpgweboffear.jpg

Hope this helps

T

Rassilons Rod

I notice that you haven't done the silver handles yet, in this shot... I found them rather difficult too....
Public Enema Number One.