Apr 19, 2024, 04:51 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hartnell Console Room Set

Started by barryrwuk, Jan 18, 2015, 12:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rob49152

Here's a quick render of the red glass telepathic circuits from my 2015 console. The closer one doesn't have any edge bevels. The one further away has edge bevels. You can see on the right hand side the effect of the beveling on the glass. For something like this you REALLY have to get close to see the full effect. But it does change how the light from behind bends.

IPR_imageA_1.jpg

barryrwuk

Thanks, Rob49152.

I think I'm bevelling about right. I use 3 or 5 bevels for most items.

The main difference seems to be lighting/reflections. My renders here (in the main) have been quick renders with a single light source and nothing to reflect but a plain sky. This is because I'm simply keeping a record of the bits and bobs as I build them. Once I start putting the pieces together I'll concentrate more on lighting and texture. Things will start coming alive at that point.

However, Blender's internal renderer (at least on my machine) is extremely slow at ray-traced transparency, so I think I'll have to leave the lenses as they are and revisit them when I have something a little faster.

Barry  :D

galacticprobe

Jul 31, 2015, 11:29 pm #197 Last Edit: Jul 31, 2015, 11:30 pm by galacticprobe
Just for impact, when you open Rob's images in a new window to see them full-sized (since in the post they've been resized to fit your browser's window), if no one told you they were renders, you'd swear those were real-world objects.

Your renders are amazing, Rob!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

barryrwuk

This is my model of a Butlers 1518 lens which we believe was used in the 'Movement Sensors' on Panel 4. I modelled it in order to produce accurate drawings for future reference and thought a quick render wouldn't go amiss.

butlers_1518_01.jpg

Rassilons Rod

That render looks amazing!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Aug 05, 2015, 04:37 am #200 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2015, 04:37 am by galacticprobe
I'll second that!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

barryrwuk

Four lenses, 'painted' and ready for fitting.

symbolic_indicators_01.jpg

galacticprobe

Aug 07, 2015, 05:51 am #202 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2015, 05:51 am by galacticprobe
Nicely rendered! They really do look like actual lenses. Amazing!

Dino.

barryrwuk

Aug 12, 2015, 10:33 am #203 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2015, 10:35 am by barryrwuk
Having (finally) completed the various lenses on the console I am turning my attention to the ventilation grilles that feature at the top of most panels.

These seem to be changed frequently over the years. I am trying to match the console as it was in 'The Edge of Destruction' and have to rely on the earliest images available. I was looking at this photo of Panel 2 from 'The Keys of Marinus'.

panel_2_grille_marinus.jpg

Now, forgive me if this has been suggested before but it suddenly occurred to me that it might very well be a car's air filter. A quick search online produced the following picture.

air_filter_maybe.JPG

Which looks quite close.

What is the current thinking on this? Am I way off?

markofrani

That's a great find! Looks very close in my opinion. Is there anything looking like the right dimensions?

barryrwuk

Aug 12, 2015, 11:07 am #205 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2015, 11:10 am by barryrwuk
They seem to come in all shapes and sizes. However, the auto-part websites let you search by make, model and year - but not by size.

It looks right though. They seem shallow enough just to have been stuck to the surface of the panel.

Rassilons Rod

Trouble is, the one on the console looks reflective.
Public Enema Number One.

barryrwuk

It does in that shot. I don't think that is too much of a problem though. Some of the air filters I've been finding online are coated in a refletive material.

On the other hand, there are also pictures where it doesn't look reflective at all. Like this one on Panel 6.

panel_6_02.jpg

A lot would depend on the material of the filter itself.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: barryrwuk on Aug 12, 2015, 11:43 am
It does in that shot. I don't think that is too much of a problem though. Some of the air filters I've been finding online are coated in a refletive material.

On the other hand, there are also pictures where it doesn't look reflective at all. Like this one on Panel 6.

panel_6_02.jpg

A lot would depend on the material of the filter itself.

I suppose it also depends how many lights are on above and the angle of the shot.  It's essentially a big open space above so no lights = dark.

Did not know that filters could be shiny though.

Just thought also that it could have been a filter from s vacuum cleaner, not only a car :)
Public Enema Number One.

barryrwuk

Aug 12, 2015, 01:53 pm #209 Last Edit: Aug 12, 2015, 08:09 pm by barryrwuk
I think the shiny ones incorporate some sort of metal mesh into the filter material. I have no idea if they were made that way in '63.

I suppose they could have given it a quick spray.

I have just looked at that scene from 'Marinus'. Although the photo shows it reflecting, the actual broadcast footage doesn't show any reflection.

Why is nothing to do with this console ever easy?  :D