Apr 19, 2024, 06:18 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Brachacki TARDIS Build

Started by bdhuey, Jan 08, 2015, 01:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bdhuey

Forgot to add, but if you look close you'll see two spots at bottom of phone door window.  Another Dumb mule mistake, punched two holes in it with nail gun. Fun time, fixed it, just didn't paint over it yet.   I also having a problem finding the right security lock for the door.  I bought what I thought would do, but it's too big.   To make it work I'd have to move the outside key lock way too far to left, almost to where horizontal panel board meets the vertical one.  Any suggestions where i can find the proper lock?

russellsuthern

Amazing work,
Looks really authentic.
I have to say this is one of the builds keeping motivated to keep going on my build!

Russell

bdhuey

Thanks, It's comments like yours & others that keeps me motivated to finish it. At first, I was overwhelmed with it, because of it's size and thought NO Way! After starting and with the light being the 1st part of build, then the base, followed by the pillars, it was finally doable in my head.  From there, it was one step at a time with no immediate time frame. If I got frustrated, I'd just quit working on for a few hours then come back with a new attitude.  With all this said, hang in there on your build, it's like the quote from the Water Boy "You can do it!". LOL   

bdhuey

Didn't like the look of the painted frosted glass panels (plastic in this case).  Was just too much white, windows in place, phone door.JPG  so, I tore them out and replaced them with ones that weren't painted. glass changed out front.JPG  To me it gives it a contrast ans better look. Also, doing the same on the inside of windows as the outside.  Will post a pic on a follow on post . Having a time trying to find the short version of the door lock and single screw door pulls. Find the small pull handle ones all day long ( 4.5 in) but not a matching larger one.  Any clues were to find?  Any help will be appreciated.

galacticprobe

Feb 04, 2015, 09:08 pm #49 Last Edit: Feb 04, 2015, 09:17 pm by galacticprobe
Bd, if you're building the "production" version of the Brachacki and not the "pilot" version (the blue frame around your Phone Panel indicates the production version), then you don't need to worry about door handles. The original prop didn't have door handles on her until her refurb during "The War Machines" when she lost the St. John logo, ended up with blue window frames, and replaced/reworked doors that now had no drip sills on the window frames and the lock moved to the right door.

During the years between "An Unearthly Child" and "The War Machines", the actors just pulled the TARDIS prop's doors closed by grabbing hold of the doors' stiles. So, I wouldn't worry about going crazy trying to find door handles just yet, especially when you consider the originals were the quad-hole handles: each end of the handle having two screw holes, one atop the other. You can concentrate on the main build, and then take your time finding those "twin-hole" handles. Most are only available from UK stores, and while they don't ship to the US, as has happened before if you ask for a member that has access to a place selling those handles to contact you either via PM or e-mail, someone will usually be happy to help you get a set of handles.

I hope this helps.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

bdhuey

Dino,  Thanks again for the info about the handles. I wanted to keep it straight production, but with it going to a cabinet I'm going to have to put handles on it for easier access. As much as I hate to do it I think I'll end having to move the lock just so everything fits a model. You'd think that in all of the US there would be a manufacture that makes those silly handles. I'll try my buddy who fly's for United and goes to England about 3 times a month for the handles. It's a work in progress. I Again thank you.

Volpone

OK.  First some good-natured ribbing:  You all make the POLICE BOX signs so much more complex than they need to be.  Just do what Scotland Yard did--leave the backs open and hang a lightbulb in the center of the box at that level.  It lights the signs.  It lights the windows.  It lights the phone door.  And it lights the interior.  All with one 60W lightbulb.  ;) 

Now the lock...that's more difficult.  Again, with police boxes, what you described sounds perfectly normal for the actual police boxes.  The first time I saw it, it looked odd to me, but our respected police box historians assure me that the lock on the actual police boxes overlapped the crossbar/stile of the door.  That's just the way it was.  But since it sounds like you're going for the 1963 prop, you don't actually want a night lock deadbolt. 

If you look at the publicity photo in the reference thread, the lock on the prop actually sticks out quite a bit (while the modern lock and the lock on police boxes mounted flush).  What you need is a standard deadbolt that mounts into the door and locks into the other door (not into a metal latch screwed to the back of the other door).  If you really want to go for accuracy, the next time you're at a Safeway supermarket (are you somewhere that they have Safeways?  That's the one I know has them, but any store with glass doors probably works) to see the type of lock on the prop.  It doesn't have a pretty flared flange around it--just the cylinder, sticking out from the door almost an inch (of course it does have cladding around it, it just isn't tapered to flow into the door). 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Feb 05, 2015, 06:01 pm #52 Last Edit: Apr 11, 2016, 03:34 am by galacticprobe
Not sure if this image is in the reference section:
Sensorites.JPG
A nice close-up of the lock from "The Sensorites".

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

bdhuey

Feb 05, 2015, 10:51 pm #53 Last Edit: Feb 06, 2015, 12:42 pm by bdhuey
You're right about the lock portion, after much wasted time that's exactly what I'm going to do, just put a Yale or similar deadbolt in that's raised. Then locks done.  Went with LCD's on lights because I don't want to be changing them out in near future, plus needed no to low heat because of the signs. But believe it or not I do believe the the KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle 95% of the time.  Missed it on the lock, LOL

bdhuey

Family all here, so I've been entertaining not much progress on TARDIS other than WE did get to do a little bit of painting on the left side. Had some fun before paint over. Bad Wolf Joke while painting.JPG.  My kids did get me to go ahead and indulge myself and buy the correct lock since I'm buying the the sash handles. Here's the listing on EBAY if anybody else is interested.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/121515920519?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT    Again, found this on the site and it was posted by Gregory Hacienda on Jan 03 2013.    This is the short correct version that allows you to center the keying portion in the center of the vertical door panel.

russellsuthern

Looking good!
I hope your lock fitting goes well.
I've left the fitting of my lock till last as I'm a bit nervous about getting it right...

Keep up the good work!

Russ

bdhuey

Thanks, I also will wait on the lock fitting till last. Still have a long way to go before finishing, ie 2nd coat of paint and interior finishing.  Never would have gotten this far if it wasn't for this forum for all the ideas, opinions and advise. Thanks again. BD

bdhuey

Feb 09, 2015, 11:20 pm #57 Last Edit: Feb 10, 2015, 10:42 am by bdhuey
Finished applying 2nd coat of paint! TG 2 coats done, exterior done!.JPG  Started on trim work for interior, doors done and window panel trim on all windows completed  interior start for trim finish.JPG  I wasn't going to trim out the interior, but as I've progressed and with my kids edging me on to do a complete job, I decided to do it.  After seeing the video that posted by "warmcanofcoke", that showed the inside, I'm going to add the left side (as you enter) shelving/desk area as in the video, just for grins.  It's still going to be a prohibitionist nightmare cabinet with wine rack, etc and we are thinking about installing a kegerator.  Phone on door, as in series, but inside, when you open it up, there will be a tap - serving either Newcastle or Bass.  Hey, I live in Florida, it's hot and you need to quiche your thirst. LOL

bdhuey

Feb 12, 2015, 09:32 pm #58 Last Edit: Mar 12, 2015, 08:54 am by bdhuey
Been busy, finished painting inside of doors inside pic, doors finished.JPG then jumped on wiring in the roof and ceiling lightwiring in roof light.JPG installing elect box for inside & roof light.JPG celing for roof with lamp & speaker wires.JPG If you look close you'll see pegs that I installed so that roof will align when removing. Again, made to come apart.  Finished installing roof light light mounted to roof -finished.JPG. Here's a pic with forward Police Call box sign, interior and roof light on.Tardis with roof light mounted and lights on.JPG  I did a mock up of electric wiring to see where I'm going with it and give me an idea for finish.   light switch & plug mockup.JPG  I ordered the door/sash handles & the short correct Yale lock. Once they come in and are installed with my St Johns sticker, exterior done.

galacticprobe

Feb 13, 2015, 04:24 am #59 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 04:27 am by galacticprobe
To borrow a quote: "Sheer poetry, dear boy!" You have definitely done Mr. Brachacki proud with this one. (I may have said that about other members' original Brachacki builds, but they all deserved the praise, and now yours has joined that illustrious Brachacki Group!)

What can I say? "The original, you might say" has always been my favorite version of the TARDIS prop, and with so many TARDIS replicas being those from the New Series - all fabulous builds as well (and let's face it; those versions are all fresh in everyone's mind) - it's always refreshing to see another original Brachacki TARDIS prop replica join the flock.

Well done! (I can't wait to see her with the St. John logo in place!)

Dino.