Apr 19, 2024, 11:41 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hand of Omega's Sketch Up TARDIS

Started by handofomega, Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

handofomega

Feb 20, 2008, 10:36 pm Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 08:44 pm by Scarfwearer
Well I downloaded Google Sketch up and have been fiddling around with it.  ::)  This is a first attempt at my dream console room.  Still learning just what the hell I am doing with the program.  I have absolutely no experience with ANY 3-D progams so be gentle.  Hopefully it will eventually look EXACTLY the way I want it to.  Till them enjoy these humble beginnings.

Consoleroom1.jpg

Consoleroom2.jpg

Consoleroom3.jpg

Consoleroom4.jpg

Still need to figure out how to do the hand rails... ;D

karsthotep

Dec 15, 2009, 08:13 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 07:15 pm by scarfwearer
this is an AWESOME console..I might just have to borrow some ideas for my full size console :)  Great work man..great work. ..now time for your next phase..BUILD IT :)

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

type 83

type 83

I see you tried to import the console and it didn't work.
Did you try copy/paste?

handofomega

Quote from: type 83 on Aug 29, 2010, 02:00 pm
Did you try copy/paste?

Yeah.  The console was too detailed to make the trip over with out stalling my system.  I need more memory in order to do that.  The thing is I have gotten loads better at using Sketch-Up so I actually don't bother with making a console in one and a console room in another.  I just make all the controls on the console in the console room now.

type 83

Quote from: handofomega on Aug 29, 2010, 02:06 pm
Quote from: type 83 on Aug 29, 2010, 02:00 pm
Did you try copy/paste?

Yeah.  The console was too detailed to make the trip over with out stalling my system.  I need more memory in order to do that.  The thing is I have gotten loads better at using Sketch-Up so I actually don't bother with making a console in one and a console room in another.  I just make all the controls on the console in the console room now.

Good good. I like the idea of the bulkhead doors. We have them on our house, storm doors. Great big iron/wood things. The key is longer than my hand.

willytron

Feb 20, 2008, 10:50 pm #6 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:43 pm by scarfwearer
I really dig that console room.  Love the diamond steel door frame.  The base of the console somehow reminds me of super maro brothers.

dalethetimelord

Feb 20, 2008, 11:25 pm #7 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:43 pm by scarfwearer
Looks stunning fella, especially for a newbie using it!  Great stuff! Have... oooh, I dunno... 50 karma points!

avadh

Feb 20, 2008, 11:28 pm #8 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:43 pm by scarfwearer
Superb.

exilea

Feb 20, 2008, 11:31 pm #9 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:43 pm by scarfwearer
Nice, bro! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Wish I coulda scored that much karma for my Wings3d TARDIS :(
LOL j/k

handofomega

Feb 20, 2008, 11:48 pm #10 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:44 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: willytron board=discussion thread=1203547002 post=1203547831I really dig that console room.  Love the diamond steel door frame.  The base of the console somehow reminds me of super maro brothers.

The diamond steel around the door frame was inspired.  What I didn't show is that I have two steel doors that slide shut over the Police Box doors.  They look similar to the old series doors in some respects.  Hopefully I can add them to the picture at a later date to show them too.

Well the diamond steel on the console area is supposed to be steel mesh but the program didn't have a texture for that.  LOL!!!   I am hoping that under the mesh (once I get it done right) I will have all sorts of technical looking bits and bobs.

The console base is based off the McGann console base.  But as I said I am new to this and wasn't sure how to do the supports that attach to the sides.

Although it doesn't look like it now, the area right over the glass part of the column is going to look similar to the Davison-McCoy console base just turned upside down.  The hexagonal panal that is on the base will be replaced by the new series roundel.  Kind of my homage to past and present TARDIS designs. 

Also the base that the console is sitting on I wanted to be a bit higher I think I will go with another tier.

Thank you all for the comments and the encouragement.  I greatly appreciate it.   ;D

exilea

Feb 21, 2008, 03:29 pm #11 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:44 pm by scarfwearer
How long did those take to render in Sketchup? I don't know what it is about the comic book look it's got, but I really like it ;)

handofomega

Feb 21, 2008, 08:48 pm #12 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:44 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: exilea board=discussion thread=1203547002 post=1203607746How long did those take to render in Sketchup? I don't know what it is about the comic book look it's got, but I really like it ;)

Well I downloaded sketchup and played with it for a day or two to learn the tools.  Then I played on and off for about a week or so.  This is what I came up with so far.  Close to the design in my head but still off by a ways.

willytron

Feb 21, 2008, 09:43 pm #13 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:44 pm by scarfwearer
This design sort of reminds me of a photo-mash I did with the secondary console room, except yours is bursting with originality.  I really like the way you combined circles and hexagons to make up the wall panels.  Can't wait to see more.

exilea

Feb 21, 2008, 10:32 pm #14 Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 07:45 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: handofomega board=discussion thread=1203547002 post=1203626896

Well I downloaded sketchup and played with it for a day or two to learn the tools.  Then I played on and off for about a week or so.  This is what I came up with so far.  Close to the design in my head but still off by a ways.

Sorry, I mean how long did it take the program to render your images?