Mar 29, 2024, 06:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Teletran's TARDIS

Started by Teletran, May 22, 2006, 08:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Teletran

I actually have an idea idea for an fan film which will show it off when it's finished.

An external force starts to drain the power reserves and the Tardis starts jettisoning rooms in order to survive, forcing the doctor and his companions to run from one island of stability to another before they wink out of existence.

Ep.3 of the Matt Smith Adventure Games sounds similar but I haven't played it yet so I hope they haven't stolen my idea.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

Teletran

Actually I kind of wish they had used my idea, in the event they managed to show less of the Tardis than we've seen on television. :'( I think someone forgot to tell the writer that they didn't have to pay to build the new sets.

Elvis Gump

I just wish they'd resurrect the old gag that Tom Baker had about the cathedral sized boot cupboard and nip into it to escape the baddies. They sort of did this in the Big Finish audio he did last year, but I really need to listen to it again to make sure I didn't fall asleep and dream that part. Didn't the wasps chase him inside the TARDIS for a while? Definitely must listen to it again...

I actually was in a torn-out and reassembled-in-a museum library a few years ago and thought with a few clever set walls built to temporarily disguise window openings and the door into the room, one could use any practical location like a manse-sized library as the TARDIS library. I feel sure there must be some room from the "Silence in the Library" practical location they could do this in. They've used that location a LOT like where Lady Desouza or whatever her name was cat burgles the chalice (didn't really like the bus of death episode myself) and they used it and it's stairs again in "The Big Bang" where the Doctor 'dies' momentarily.

Even just building a practical set on stage like Professor Chronotis had in "Shada" should be that much of a budget breaker. I think it would be wonderful to you know at least encourage kids who watch that reading books is cool along with bow-ties and a fez...

Teletran

I think they used that for the museum in Sherlock complete with TL monogram railings.

My Tardis library will a long hall like structure with stairs and a balcony, the secondary control console lowers from the ceiling for those moments when you can't be bothered running up three flights of stairs to avoid be sucked into a gravitational anomaly. I also like the idea of the doctor being able to disguise the inside of the Tardis as something mundane.

michael_k74

Okay, I'm new at making roundels, so I'd like to ask how to do one up in Adobe Photoshop.  I have CS3 and would like to make high quality roundel textures for Second Life.  What's more, having recently installed Blender, I'd like to try my hand at making them in that program as well.  Is there a tutorial for making roundels in Photoshop?

Teletran

Jun 22, 2011, 10:59 am #95 Last Edit: Jun 22, 2011, 11:01 am by Teletran
Sorry mike I was going to get back to you but I've been absolutely swamped at uni.
I'm not very familiar with Gimp, I mostly use Photoshop Elements but they seem to have broadly similar capabilities. in Photoshop you can create purely 2d roundels similar to mine with a tool called Polar Coordinates which makes square things round and vice versa.

roundel_example04.jpg

This is just a quick example but if you create some appropriate profile stripes and then apply the Polar Coordinates filter you have a basic roundel shape. I'd suggest blending the lines to create contours, I've just used a blur filter here. If you've done all this in an isolated layer you can then change the background and add whatever effects you want, I've just added a bevel effect to create depth.

Teletran

Here's a website I designed to show off my work that people might find interesting, I think they're going to take it down after I get my mark. http://studentprojects.sca.ecu.edu.au/2011/01/CMM1108/damient/portfoliowebsite/index.html

Putting this portfolio gave me the chance to see all of my Doctor Who work in context and some of the things that need doing. When I first started my build it was my intention to make the console room much larger and grander than what has gone before however after 6 years of the new series and with increasing fan access to 3d modelling tools it's starting to look a bit passée.

There are some upgrades that I've been planning since last year that I haven't had time to put into effect, these include modification to the floor ceiling and possibly the walls which will hopefully make the room seem larger and more dynamic without actually changing the footprint of the room itself to any great extent. I'll also be working on my Tardis Library/Secondary Console Room, which is a different beast entirely and will feature a more opulent two story set.

At the moment I'm dusting off and updating some of the Tardis computer displays I started last year.
th_CCdisplay08b.jpg

greatwazoo42

Jul 20, 2011, 02:34 pm #97 Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 02:36 pm by greatwazoo42
Drat.  They must have taken down the site already, I clicked on the link and got a 404.  

I've gone back through this entire thread and all the images and I am still in love with the design work and thinking going on here.  I hope we get to see more.

Vale

Nov 01, 2011, 06:13 am #98 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2011, 03:33 am by Vale
I've always liked the white neoclassical minimalist look of the classic TARDIS and this takes the 80s sets to their logical conclusion, freed of any budget and time constraints. Very impressed. The design of the stairwell feels very right to me - nice to see a design that considers the rest of the interior as much as the console room, which all too often seems to be the only part of the TARDIS that exists.

EDITED TO ADD: the design for a hexagonal keypad is, quite frankly, a stroke of genius.