Mar 29, 2024, 11:54 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Wooden Console Project

Started by dalekprime, Jul 24, 2009, 06:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dalekprime

Jul 24, 2009, 06:42 am Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 08:11 pm by Scarfwearer
Well, I'm inspired.  I stumbled on Scarfwearer's Relative Dimensions site and then saw the gorgeous build Celation is doing, and I began the planning stages for my own console.  Then I asked Mrs. Dalekprime and the tone of her first question "How big will it be?" told me there was no way in the Void Between Universes that I was going to build one of those.  So I regrouped.

First the plan was to make a desk--one with a slanted top, kind of a rolltop desk, but instead of a roll top it would contain one panel of a TARDIS console, in which would be integrated the keyboard and mouse--it would lift up and have storage underneath.  Then I realized just how much writing I do at my desk and how much I need the flat surface.

So I just said heck with it and chose to do the season 14 wooden console.  I looked up pics, found Scarfwearer's dimensional plans (that is plans with dimensions on them, not ones that transcend time and space, at least not that I could tell) and I broke it apart into what pieces of what would go where.  Then I made a scale model out of card-stock.  Currently this is as far as I've made it.  

I'm hoping in the next month to get the basic structure built, then begin with the stain, then begin inserting the control panels.  The great thing about the wooden console is that really it will look done with just the outside complete.  And as far as replicating, well we only ever saw three or four of the control panels anyway, so I am free to design my own a bit more.  I want to take a few things from the McGann console and merge it with a few Hartnell controls, a few from the late Tom Baker, and then a few of my own ideas.  

I'd also like to restore the idea I'd read about: that this console was intended to have an iris in the top that would open to reveal the central column.  If I can swing it that sounds fantastic to me.  I was inspired (ooo that's a terrible pun :P) by the Frank Lloyd Wright spire in Phoenix, Arizona (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMBGX_Frank_Lloyd_Wright_Spire) and I'd like to incorporate parts of that design in my own central column/time rotor/middle thingy. Perhaps....

Rassilons Rod

Aug 08, 2009, 06:12 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 07:11 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: dalekprime board=console thread=1713 post=21789 time=1249401086As near as I can figure the squares on the plan are about 2 ft. 

consoleroomdimensions.jpg

2ft is exactly what they are. Thats how the BBC do their plans :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

dalekprime

Jul 24, 2009, 06:58 am #2 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:36 pm by Scarfwearer
Pics of plans and mock-ups.  I had a bit too much fun with this...Sorry for all the pics...

First off, plans
model0plansdrawnup.jpg  
I was shocked to remember trig and a few other math-y items to get a few measurements. (I teach English Lit--this was quite a delve into the memory...)  The plans were altered--this still had the idea of making a double table top for the middle (think an Oreo cookie).  It also has the idea of just making a collar for the bottom of the plinth, instead of an actual 28" base.  Both ideas were abandoned....

My mock up will be 1/10 scale.

First attempt
model0prototype.jpg
I hated it--doing supports for the lower part of the "table" was a goofy idea--even the card-stock doesn't like it and refuses to look nice.

model1.jpg
Much better--having the lower panels come off the plinth with no (or very little internal support makes more sense and will make the whole console less top heavy.

Internal supports on top--will have to rearrange if I make a central column/ time rotor/ middle up and down-y part.
model5.jpg

All together, just a few sonic adjustments
modelsonic2.jpg

and some more
modelsonic.jpg

the mock up debuts next to the mock up for the abandoned Hartnell's console
modelandoldmodel.jpg

If we can keep that blue box there and have it around this at the same time....
modelboxthere.jpg
Yeah it's silly but it's one of the fundamentals of Time Lord tech.

Still having dimensional problems
modelconsole.jpg

Good grief!  Planet of the Giants II
modelplanetofthegiants.jpg

The Cybermen are confused
modelcybermenoops.jpg

Daleks don't fare any better..
modeldaleks.jpg

AHHH! There we go.  But the Hartnell one was green... (and yes, I know K-9 wasn't ever in this console room...that we saw on TV)
modelfourthk9.jpg

One more tweak and
modelfourth.jpg

OOPS!  That can't be right.  
modeltenth-1.jpg
I do kind of like the TV on the top of the console, a reference to McGann's and sort of the NS console, too.

So for a 1/10 mock-up, I had entirely too much fun. I can't wait to get started on the real deal.  The action figures aren't quite 1/10 scale, so it's a bit off, but it gives me a great idea of some of the structural needs of my console and the general look of the thing.

Oh the console room and Dalek city backdrops for the action figures can be found at http://www.actionfiguretheatre.co.uk/  under the downloads on the right-hand side.  There are lots of printable-sets for your action figures: Cyber-tombs, the Panopticon, TARDIS walls, new series stuff too.  Check it out!

My console, by the way, will go in my study, which has a seemingly-familiar door (this leads off the kitchen into my study).  My wife built it with some very handy friends for my last birthday.  She's the BEST!
IMG_0097.jpg
And that's our cat Tonks poking her head out the TARDIS doors...

EDIT: Shrinking pictures to 800x600, or the window is too wide for some people's screens.

Scarfwearer

Jul 25, 2009, 10:54 am #3 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:29 pm by scarfwearer
I'm very interested to see this happening, as I've been pondering doing a Wooden console myself on and off. I think there are one or two other people on Rebuilders who've been working toward this too.

If you build to my plans, you'll be the first that I know of - so don't take them as gospel truth as they're just a best guess. Screen shots and photos are the real sources, so if you have any corrections for me, do pass them along. Building a model is a very sensible start.

This console does have the distinct advantage of not being too large, even at full scale, so I think it will be a nice project.

Crispin

BTW, have I seen that spiral-stemmed sonic screwdriver somewhere before?

And I think we could start a whole section for TARDIS doorways - kudos to your wife and friends!

dalekprime

Jul 25, 2009, 07:20 pm #4 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:29 pm by scarfwearer
I'm going to the lumber yard today, I hope, and will begin the arduous task of pricing and budgeting this process (oh boy, oh boy!).

Crispin, your plans are the best (and only) guide I've found.  I will update here as the build happens.  The model was ridiculously fun to build and then photograph, so here's hoping the actual build is as fun but 10x so.

The spiral screwdriver is a build I did off of http://community.livejournal.com/crafty_tardis/72665.html .  It was very easy and took an afternoon once I had parts. 

I truly love my TARDIS door.  I wonder if I should update it with the white window frames and St. John badge....

Oh and thanks for shrinking my pictures. How does one do that?

edit Oh wait I see it. Thanks again! I thought they were too overblown when I first posted....

dalekprime

Jul 31, 2009, 06:30 am #5 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:33 pm by Scarfwearer
Just a tiny bit of progress, and not even my own creativity.  This is wholesale ripped from The Steampunk Console Project http://douglas442.livejournal.com/ .

Since the wooden console lacks any detail for three of its panels (and I'm not sure how to even attempt to replicate the banks of buttons, I want to combine some of my favorite elements from the other consoles through the ages.  

I love the "ping-pong ball lights" from the Hartnell, so on a few of the panels, I'll have these:
lightassembly.jpg

It's basic, nothing wired in and without a base, but I was excited about progress, so a pic must be posted (I swear I won't post every little thing...)

Except I think I might have a design for the central column/ time rotor that I like.
columndesign.jpg

The basic idea is brass pipes.  I'm not decided on the sleeker, less ornate version, or the gadget/gee whiz/ steampunk-y version.  I'd like for the rotor to raise a lower and be lit dramatically in any case.   I'm not sure if I want it to bob like the main console, or just rise up during "flight" and then lower again to beneath the top of the console with an iris closure when at rest.

What do y'all think?

karsthotep

Jul 31, 2009, 07:06 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:29 pm by scarfwearer
Hey I bought those exact same door stoppers for my ping pong ball lights..what did you use to cut the ping pong ball? I keep butchering mine.  Also what did you use to fix it in place..and Finally..what did you use for the ring around it? Is it styrene?  How did you cut it?  Awesome work.

karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

dalekprime

Aug 01, 2009, 05:10 am #7 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:29 pm by scarfwearer
Karsten,

I butchered a few of the ping-pong balls, too, and can only seem to salvage one usable half.  I squeezed it a bit on the seam, sort of loosing it up--then took an x-acto knife to some, which was a bit unsafe to cut, and scissors to the others. 

Right now the half of a ball is held on by tape, but I think super glue, or if I need to, epoxy will hold it there.  I had to cut a notch in the half, where the screw of the door stop would have been (wow this is harder to describe then I thought). 

I'm wondering if I need to paint the inside of the doorstop white or some kind of reflective metallic so it bounces the LED light better.  LED's leave a very clear pattern if they're too close or directly on the thin plastic of the ppball.  If they're further away they become ineffective.

I did cut a ring of styrene using a compass cutter I picked up a Micheal's (craft store).  It was a BEAST to cut out and isn't too smooth, and I don't look forward to doing it six or seven more times.  They have thinner styrene, so I might give that a go. I might look for some brass disks (perhaps drain covers?) to back it.  I have some action figure stands that are about the right size that I might try to use if I can't scavenge anything.  And then I've thought that thin wood, painted, might work well too.

I'll have to seal up the joins between ball and stopper in any case, I'd hate for light to leak though.

I'm still a n00b at all of this.  Tell me what you come up with and I'll share any eureka moments I've got. 

You console is a fantastic build.  Absolutely top notch!

Greg

karsthotep

Aug 01, 2009, 11:00 pm #8 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:30 pm by scarfwearer
Hey Greg,

Hey thanks for that info.  I went to Michaels and unfortunatley they don't carry styrene sheet there so I am going to order mine for USplastics.com, or Tapplastics they did have the Compass cutter you refered to and I picked up one of those.  Your instructions were clear, since I have the exact same door stop I know what notch you have to cut around.   I am looking forward to seeing your project.  The LED's is a good question. I don't know on that.  what if you recess them a bit in the panel so the light is simply force up and out..would that deflect some of the pinpoint brightness you were referring to?

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

handofomega

Aug 02, 2009, 09:29 pm #9 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:30 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: dalekprime board=console thread=1713 post=21732 time=1249021843
Except I think I might have a design for the central column/ time rotor that I like.
columndesign.jpg

The basic idea is brass pipes.  I'm not decided on the sleeker, less ornate version, or the gadget/gee whiz/ steampunk-y version.  I'd like for the rotor to raise a lower and be lit dramatically in any case.   I'm not sure if I want it to bob like the main console, or just rise up during "flight" and then lower again to beneath the top of the console with an iris closure when at rest.

What do y'all think?

I swear I remember a thread on this forum that mentioned that the original concept for the dome-shaped column had some sort of brass orrey inside of it that would spin.

I like you ideas though.   ;D

I have a pic of what I designed in Sketch-up using Crispin's dimensions for this console.   I like some of the stuff you have chosen to do.

dalekprime

Aug 03, 2009, 07:23 am #10 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:30 pm by scarfwearer
I'd thought about an orrey, but the engineering of it might be beyond me.  Also I'd played with crystal-like things and celiing-height tubes, but I think I like the organ pipes best.  It seems most season 14 with Deadly Assassin very organ-heavy musically and the brass and wood room.  The good thing about this central column is that it *could* be the most easily replaceable part.  When I first build it, I'm pretty sure it will remain a wooden disk.  Then as the rest comes together, I want to work on the column. 

I'd also thought about doing some kind of frosted glass in place of the disk.  Perhaps lighting it up in funky ways underneath.  Or doing a planter, with a large fern coming out the top (ok that was a joke, but it would crack me up a bit...)

I'd love to see that sketch-up pic.  I haven't quite mastered using that program yet.  Thanks for the encouragement.

Greg

dalekprime

Aug 03, 2009, 07:25 am #11 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:30 pm by scarfwearer
Went to the lumber yard today, picked up plywood and support dowels for the inside of the plinth and a few more brass bits for the PPBLs (ping-pong ball lights). 

We laid out the hexes of the table and the base, but ran out of time before cutting it out.  Hoping to do sometime this week. 

Teletran

Aug 04, 2009, 10:54 am #12 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:30 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: handofomega board=console thread=1713 post=21784 time=1249349173
Here is something I knocked up last year using Crispin's measurements.   I added a person component to show scale in these pics.   Now if I knew the size for the rest of the room I might one day go back and finish this.

I think the robots of death DVD has a floorplan of the S14 console room which would be a good start
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

dalekprime

Aug 04, 2009, 03:51 pm #13 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:31 pm by scarfwearer
The sketch-up looks great!  I think Crispin really nailed the dimensions, and this just makes me feel more confident about my plans. 

It occurred to me that I'll have to mock up the brass railing on the top unless I can find some joints that have the needed 120 degree angles.

I popped in the Robots of Death DVD and screen capped the console room in question.  As near as I can figure the squares on the plan are about 2 ft.  The top step near the doors is labeled 4x3 and it looks like it takes about 2 squares and 1.5 of another.

consoleroomdimensions.jpg

I'd love to do something like this for the central column ultimately. 
long-now-4%282%29.jpg

handofomega

Aug 05, 2009, 01:48 am #14 Last Edit: Feb 27, 2010, 11:31 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: dalekprime board=console thread=1713 post=21789 time=1249401086The sketch-up looks great!  I think Crispin really nailed the dimensions, and this just makes me feel more confident about my plans. 

Thanks!!!   Yes indeed I do think that Crispin nailed the console dimensions perfectly.

These will definately help when I go back to finish this room.  Thank you very much sir!!!  You made my day.  ;D

Quote from: dalekprime board=console thread=1713 post=21789 time=1249401086
I'd love to do something like this for the central column ultimately. 
long-now-4%282%29.jpg   

I would love to see something like this (or at least the top part of this) in brass inside of a glass dome.  I can imagine it turning (and possibly lighting up) inside the dome.   And of course the dome rising up from an iris closure at the top of the console when in flight.   ;)