Jul 14, 2024, 01:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

SJA Police Box

Started by d0ct0r200004, Dec 15, 2014, 06:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

d0ct0r200004

Dec 15, 2014, 06:13 pm Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 03:10 pm by warmcanofcoke
So, Something I've noticed recently is the police box in the Sarah Jane Adventures Episode 'The Temptation of Sarah Jane Smith' is something completely different then what's been in Doctor Who or any other BBC show, take a look for your self.

sja_s2_ep10_police_box.jpg

what do you guys think and (because I'm sad like this) does anyone have any really good reference pictures for it, I might do a 3D render of it because although it isn't DW, it looks pretty cool. :D
-Doc204

d0ct0r200004

I've just been thinking, is it just me or does this look like that police box?

tardis.jpg

Looks more like that exterior then the 2005-2010 to me, colour scheme seems to be the same as well as well as the look of the size, looks wider then the dw prop to me.
-Doc204

the_prop_maniac

The boxes do feel similar. The SJA box does feel like a 5th Doctor era box, and I know that the box in the window is from The End of Time Part One. But that box also feels like its a classic Who box, not necessarily the same, but I feel like it has that vibe.

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

galacticprobe

Dec 15, 2014, 09:56 pm #3 Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014, 09:58 pm by galacticprobe
I haven't seen that episode of 'The Sarah Jane Adventures' yet - the Syfy (Siffy) Channel stopped airing them after I think Series 1, and I think BBC America stopped airing them after Series 2. (Maybe it was a Series 2 episode and I just don't remember it.) But could the "odd" TARDIS have something to do with that "temptation" thing? Something not really real, but a vision of how she sees it in her mind?

I really need to get those DVD sets!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

It was a series 2 one, it was series 3 that David Tennant popped up in as The Doctor himself, and to be honest it puzzles me. Supposedly, Tennant was actually flying around in Matt Smith's first Police Box then as it showed up better in HD, but repainted and modified to suit Tennant's needs. I've tried to check this, but can't conclusively as the only time you really get a good shot of the prop that isn't either the door to the console room or CGI is at the end when it's crammed into the attic. You don't really get any full shots of it and when you do it's from an awkward angle and much of it is concealed. The only way to tell for sure from that angle would be the size of the base and corner posts - but it's very difficult to judge. I've always wondered though that if it IS Smith's prop repainted in Tennanr grey-blues, how would they then re-coat it in Blue Pearl car paint in such a way the wood grain is so visible and contrasted? A dubious rumour then, to be sure...

But I, side tracking, the box here within the narrative turned out to be a real Police Box, Sarah runs up to it yelling "Doctor!" only for a bemused officer to step out. This, for obvious reasons, annoys me just as much as the Smith standing in for a Met box in The Wardrobe, I realise they're on budget but at least a nod to some sort of attempt to make it consistent would be appreciated, they wouldn't get away with slimming down the Millenium Falcon and changing the engines with no explanation, so why should the BBC get away with changing an even more iconic piece of history! Oh wait...

Yes, that's meant in jest, though I do hope they have an explanation for the Falcon's diet (if, indeed, it wasn't just a CGI mishap as is the explanation I was given), and equally I do wish they'd take some pride in representing Police Boxes, rather than the "this'll do, it's just a blouse box" approach. In some ways I'm really not fond of this box because of the attitude behind it, and I'm not such a fan of it's shape either. Though it looks to be nicely made and I'm sure there are several people queuing up to disagree with me there. It's all subjective!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

d0ct0r200004

The one "stuffed in the attic" wasn't cgi, the attic set and the TARDIS set were about a studio or so over, there was a studio prop for tennant in there, they just threw that in. I'll try to get some good reference pictures of the tennant prop used in the wedding of Sarah Jane smith.
-Doc204

d0ct0r200004

The only good pic on the Internet for that box is the studio version

image.jpg

I'll rewatch the episode and see what I find, I'll also rewatch the temptation of Sarah Jane smith to see what I find on that box. One thing I noticed about that tennant box is that it seems darker, like it got a new lick of paint before being frown at London, oh wait :P
-Doc204

russellsuthern

Hi, all.
Lucasfilm are always modifying props & such, & I'm sure it's so the fans have to buy the next variant. I hate to say it, but I'm sure that's part of the BBC's motivation for tweaking things, too...
Anyway, I think it was Russell T. Davies, who explained the Police Box's changing image by saying the Chameleon circuit "wobbles" every now & again, & the Police Box "image" changes slightly. After all, it is only a disguise, & not it's "real" shape.
That's the explanation I use to calm down my fevered mind every time I see a new variation!
BTW: Love the photo in Sarah Jane's attic, especially the Dalek gun box parts on the ledges. Just hope the Master isn't lurking in the Grandfather clock!!
(Still missing Lis...)

Russell

superrichi1a

That's the shot I mean! The only one that you get a decent look and yet it's still at an odd angle. The base looks a bit bigger than Tennant's, and you can't really tell with the corner posts, though I would suggest that they're protruding a bit further than Tennant's, too, so it likely is the Smith prop - yet then how did they repaint it successfully? Mysteries, mysteries...
The prop does look very grey, but then again if you look at the actual last true NST prop, introduced in series 4 and only taking on full duties in the Specials, it basically is grey, not much blue in there at all, and the reason I think it looks a bit odd is because we're not used to it: it was only used sparingly in series 4 and the more vibrant older prop was used more often, and then in the specials the only good look we ever really get of it is in the End of Time - it's covered in snow and FX at dusk in "The Next Doctor", it's night time in "Planet of the Dead", it's either CGI, night time, heavily colour graded, or all 3 in "The Waters of Mars" so by the time it gets numerous fleeting shots in "The End of Time" we still haven't seen it properly very much, and even then, even in that some shots were night shots, one shot was colour graded heavily and one was covered in CGI - I reckon we only ever get to see it close to its true colour is when it's parked outside Wilf's, and Sarah's houses (and in the background at the wedding). So, frankly, I don't think, which a grand total of 5 episodes to its name, and even those questionable experience, people really notice how different that box looked. :)

Now excuse me while I go and check my grandfather clock for renegade Timelords....
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

d0ct0r200004

I believe that exterior is the one they used for the 11h hour, and then later for the war TARDIS because the war TARDIS was a bit darker than the 10th doctors in that episode. The war TARDIS was a pretty damaged prop, the 10th doctors (although damaged) seemed to be the series 3-4 prop.
-Doc204

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2014, 06:30 pm #10 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 06:31 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: superrichi1a on Dec 15, 2014, 10:57 pm
It was a series 2 one, it was series 3 that David Tennant popped up in as The Doctor himself...

Ah. Now I have to find Series 2 and re-watch it. (You all know my short-term memory is, well, almost less than useless, and I don't remember this one.) Also, I think 'Sarah Jane' stopped airing in the US (on both "Siffy" and BBC America) after Series 2 because while I heard about Tennant appearing in a full episode - not just a cameo - I know that one never aired here, at least not in my area. (I also heard rumors that Tennant filmed his episodes of 'Sarah Jane Adventures' a week or so after filming the 10th to 11th Doctor regeneration scenes. I think it might have been in one of those BBC America's "Doctor Who Insider" blurbs they throw in during the show's airing when Tennant made a comment to that effect.)

Anyway, it's time for me to start looking for those remaining 'Sarah Jane' episodes to watch again (as if I need a reason to re-watch the most-loved companion ever), and to see the episodes that never aired on this side of the pond.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

Yeah, I always thought the bits of SJA where The Doctor comes closest are the best. Right you are - Tennant filmed the episodes (Yep, full role) a week after The End of Time, and there's a video of him at his wrap party trying to fight tears but then going "but I'm doing it all again next week", or works to that effect! There was also "Death of The Doctor", which I think is the best Sarah Jane Adventures ever got. Nice cameos from multiple Doctors, some beautiful TARDIS shots, and to say Smith was "on form" would be a disservice, he blew everyone else away, which is quite something considering Sarah, Jo Grant, Loras Tyrell and that woman from Primeval were all in it! Alas, I fear we never saw the best SJA had to offer, Smith was meant to appear once again but Doctor Who filming got in the way, and had it continued for the planned specials and series Sylvester McCoy was set to take the reins leading a team of Jo Grant, The Corsair and an older Ace which would help the Bannerman road team in a substantial way (such a tragic shame all of this never happened, both in itself and the reason for it).

And yep youre mostly correct d0ct0r, that prop is Hero 3, which later became the War Doctor's TARDIS. In the 11th Hour a fobreglass "stunt" prop was also used, but I've come to refer to it as the "lost" NST as no one can seem to confirm exactly what it did, supposedly it also made "Up Close" museum appearances on behalf of Hero 3 before eventually getting scrapped and rescued by a private collector. It's an odd one, that, probably came out of Purple's GRP moulds and passed into the show discreetly. It's in good nick now, though, restored alongside the famous Brighton box.
The Tennt box from "Day" is actually from 2004 and is Hero 2. It saw little to no use until Tennant took over and took the rains jointly with Hero 3 in series 4 before it became too dilapidated to use in HD. It then remained in storage for years until The Experience had it renovated, and to do that they literally ripped bits off a Smith promo box and screwed them on - you can see it up close as well as in the special if you look closely, and thus it remains. Hero 1, Eccleston's, was sold to a private collector for around £12 thousand some years back.

d0ct0r200004

Another thing that was talked about to happen in SJA was Tom Baker's Doctor landing there and seeing Sarah again, was meant to be in the series after the last one aired... Baker was happy to film it too, they were planning out dates when Liz got ill.

From what I heard the reason they used that TARDIS as the wars was because they had to replace a lot of it after destorying it for the crash scene, new windows, new base, new doors. If you look at the hinges of the doors on the war TARDIS you'll notice that at one point the doors on that prop opened the 'wrong' way (technically the right way as police box doors opened the opposite way) which is why I thought the eleventh hour prop and the war prop were the same.
-Doc204

galacticprobe

Dec 17, 2014, 08:29 am #13 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2014, 08:31 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: superrichi1a on Dec 16, 2014, 06:51 pm
Hero 1, Eccleston's, was sold to a private collector for around £12 thousand some years back.

Yeah... the guy that won it at the auction lives in Texas, USA. One of our former members, a friend of mine, is a friend of his, but this guy absolutely refuses to give out a single measurement of any part of that prop! I asked only for the measurements of the little box on the roof the lamp sits on, and my friend asked on my behalf and was told (and I quote) "Absolutely not! None of these measurements are to be given out to anyone!" And he made my friend swear that he would never give out a measurement, and my friend is one to keep his word.

Interestingly enough, my friend was allowed to measure that box up, down, and sideways. And on the RPF he's built a most amazing, exacting replica of that box (though he still hasn't given out any measurements).

People like that really irk me. Yeah, you're a lucky SOB for winning a screen-used TARDIS prop, but you're a royal prat for being stingy and keeping the measurements all to yourself, and swearing the only other person you let have at the box to secrecy. (Dumb-arse. >:()

Dino.

d0ct0r200004

That is kinda stupid of the guy, it's not exactly the end of the world if the mesurements are given out. But there we go, not changing his mind is he. If someone could get a tape mesure into dw eperience and permission to touch it then you'd get the measurements of the day of the doctor boxes. The only way you'd get permission though is if you work there... Anyway, back to the SJA box, anyone recognise it? Know where it came from?
-Doc204