Apr 19, 2024, 10:12 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Console Control Panels

Started by tony farrell, Dec 14, 2014, 09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Jan 01, 2015, 04:05 pm #75 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015, 11:08 am by Tony Farrell
Interestingly, Rob's short video clip also reveals that the ventilation grille above the Radiation Meter wasn't originally a grille at all but, rather, a piece of perspex:

rad1.jpg
_Robs DVD rippapolza-0-01-02-885.jpg

I've revised the panel diagram accordingly:

5th panel.png

galacticprobe

Jan 02, 2015, 06:26 am #76 Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015, 06:26 am by galacticprobe
Once again, beautiful work, Tony! And I love how you keep your drawings updated whenever we find out something new about one of these panels or the controls on them, like that perspex "plate" instead of a speaker grille. Brilliant work (and good eyes for catching that bit of detail).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rob49152

Feb 13, 2015, 03:18 am #77 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 03:24 am by rob49152
I don't know if this is the right area but it concerns the original console so I'll put it here.

So out of curiosity I made a webm video of the 'telepathic circuits' as they eventually became known as.
http://webmshare.com/GX9e7

And 2 frames I've animated to toggle back and forth
http://webmshare.com/Onq9W

Somethings to note;
- on the clear plastic sides of the posts that hold the black zig-zag squares there appear to be 3 square mirrors affixed to the side posts
- The silver balls are actually quite spiky. I always thought they were like 'behive' doorknobs.
- along the center post there appear to be a something attached between each zig-zag post. I can't tell if they are more square mirrors or an acrylic cube. I am leaning towards more mirror squares. In fact I am starting to thing the cube at the bottom is infact 4 mirror squares instead of being solid
- the Black & white panels at the top appear to be black-white-grey card.

galacticprobe

Feb 13, 2015, 06:19 am #78 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 06:19 am by galacticprobe
Frack! It says my browser "doesn't support webm video format" and the things won't play. :P

(Any chance of a quick YouTube vid of these? Or maybe e-mailing me a WMV of them so I can see? ???)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Quote from: rob49152 on Feb 13, 2015, 03:18 am

Somethings to note;
- on the clear plastic sides of the posts that hold the black zig-zag squares there appear to be 3 square mirrors affixed to the side posts
- The silver balls are actually quite spiky. I always thought they were like 'behive' doorknobs.
- along the center post there appear to be a something attached between each zig-zag post. I can't tell if they are more square mirrors or an acrylic cube. I am leaning towards more mirror squares. In fact I am starting to thing the cube at the bottom is infact 4 mirror squares instead of being solid
- the Black & white panels at the top appear to be black-white-grey card.

How those 'movement sensors/telepathic circuits worked has always confused me and watching your video, I'm even more confused as to how they did it!

I wasn't going to post these yet as I haven't had the time to finish them due to bereavement: What I've tried to do is build the rotating portion of the central column's navigational instrumentation from the perspex frame up/out. The dimensions aren't quite finalised as I'm not happy with the 'cube'. As to the 'gyroscope' balls, I agree with Rob - they do seem to have a series of concentric broken ridges (elongated 'reverse' dimples - 'outies' not 'innies', so to speak - that bit probably doesn't read very well ;D) but I have no idea how to draw these in paint so have drawn concentric circles instead...

Principal Control Dimensions  Central Column for tb.pngPrincipal Control Dimensions  Central Column with detectors and inner surround BEFORE MIRRORS.pngPrincipal Control Dimensions  Central Column with detectors inner surround and mirrors.png

Tony

barryrwuk

Those two video clips are very interesting rob49152. I am particularly interested in the central column. I agree that there seem to be mirror squares fixed to the side posts. I can also see what you are saying about the perspex cube at the bottom of the central pole. I would agree that in this picture it looks to be constructed of 4 mirror squares stuck to the pole itself. What story is this from?

I am also struck by the silver sphere in this picture...

central_column.jpg

...which looks to be a child's plastic golf ball. This picture show what I think I am seeing.

childs_golf_balls.jpg

Does that look possible or am I out on a limb with that?

Barry  :D

tony farrell

Are they the correct diameter?

barryrwuk

The ones in the photo are around 3.8cm diameter (roughly 1.5") - but these are the first ones that I found after a quick search. I have seen them at 5cm (about 2") and they do come in various sizes. They are typically made from two hemispheres of hard but cheap and thin plastic.

I am quite convinced that they are right. You know, probably... ish.

Barry  :D

rob49152

The two clips are from the Sensorites DVD.

I also notice 2 sets of square mirrors attached to the central post on the first top two 'rungs' or bars that hold the zig-zag bits. The top bit appears to be 4 squares making a 'cube' again. While there are just 2 on the 'rung' right below that.

I wish I could have gotten more of the central column, but it was part of a fast pan up to the actors. I'll look again and see if I can grab just a bit more.

rob49152

yes, I am now convinced the bottom cube right above the spikey balls is actually 4 mirrors. In the above webm video I posted of the 2 frames you can see the reflection of the fruit basket (one of the 3 round spheres on the top of the fruit basket)

galacticprobe

Feb 14, 2015, 06:26 am #85 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2015, 06:27 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: rob49152 on Feb 13, 2015, 08:03 pm
I wish I could have gotten more of the central column, but it was part of a fast pan up to the actors. I'll look again and see if I can grab just a bit more.

Rob, have you looked at the opening of "The Space Museum"? That one has a great close-in shot of the column,, shows more of it, and the shot holds there for a few seconds. (I don't know where my DVD has gotten to or I'd get some grabs from that. :P)

Dino.

rob49152

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 13, 2015, 06:09 pm
How those 'movement sensors/telepathic circuits worked has always confused me and watching your video, I'm even more confused as to how they did it!

If I was to do it these days I'd use something like the NeoPlex ring
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1586

rob49152

Ok, here are all the frames from showing the inner column. If you use a program like the free xnview you can cycle back and forth and see.

www.interocitor-media.com/The_Sensorites.zip

Rassilons Rod

In that photo in Barry's post above...

It looks like instead of having individual holes for the paddle wheel, that there is one long slot for the lower three rods.

What do you guys think?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

This is the confusing thing Marc, all these perspex rods and sheets serve to distort, bend and refract the light such that the picture becomes hard to interpret.

Nevertheless, taking on board Rob's observations about the lower 'cube' actually being four mirrors (and the additional 'cube'/mirror arrangement immediately beneath the top cross-bar) here are my revised drawings - again, starting with the basic perspex frame, adding the orientational 'fins' in the second, adding the hatched perspex in the third and finally the mirrors and mirrored strips in the last picture:

Principal Control Dimensions  Central Column 50%.pngPrincipal Control Dimensions  Central Column 50% with orientational detectors.pngPrincipal Control Dimensions  Central Column with detectors and inner surround BEFORE MIRRORS.pngPrincipal Control Dimensions  Central Column with detectors inner surround and mirrors.png