Apr 28, 2024, 03:53 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Console Control Panels

Started by tony farrell, Dec 14, 2014, 09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 28, 2015, 11:50 pmYes indeed. Personally I'd like to tackle the panels from behind the scanner in "The Abominable Snowmen" (First seen in DIOW (movie), War Machines, Underwtaer Menace... etc...). Would appreciate your assistance with that at some stage if possible. But let's move this to PM. :)
OK... I know i'm going to face palm myself for asking this, but DIOW (movie)?

Have to admit i'm curious about the panels you mention as well...

Rassilons Rod

Aug 29, 2015, 01:20 pm #331 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2015, 01:21 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Aug 29, 2015, 12:34 pmOK... I know i'm going to face palm myself for asking this, but DIOW (movie)?

Have to admit i'm curious about the panels you mention as well...

Oops. Typo. That should be DIoE. 2nd Dalek film.

Don't want to derail this thread any more so I'll  start a new thread over the next few days.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

barryrwuk

Aug 29, 2015, 04:30 pm #332 Last Edit: Aug 29, 2015, 04:34 pm by barryrwuk
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 29, 2015, 12:08 am
Quote from: barryrwuk on Aug 17, 2015, 09:51 pm
I'm now fairly sure that the other symbolic indicator lamps are, as you suggested, from railway lanterns. They were almost certainly glass and had fewer, deeper facets. I'm still looking for one... but it will be posted here if I ever find something suitable.

So, not this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-red-lens-for-Bedford-type-lollipop-lamp-54570757-/361368353343?hash=item54233b7a3f

That should do you for the flatter lamp on Panel 5. We think that one is probably a red Butlers 1518.

Barry  :D

Edit: Sorry, Tony. I didn't noticed that you had already replied.  :D

markofrani

Quote from: barryrwuk on Aug 17, 2015, 09:51 pm
I'm now fairly sure that the other symbolic indicator lamps are, as you suggested, from railway lanterns. They were almost certainly glass and had fewer, deeper facets. I'm still looking for one... but it will be posted here if I ever find something suitable.

Maybe this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Train-Signal-Lamp-Glass-Light-Red-And-Green-/221850440516?hash=item33a7511344
The red glass one is 4inches in diameter which would work for the indicator lamp measurements...

tony farrell

That does indeed look very close! Great find Jonathan!

T

tony farrell

Aug 31, 2015, 12:42 am #335 Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015, 11:41 pm by Tony Farrell
Whilst the hunt for the correct red lenses for the Symbolic Indicator Lamps continues, let's continue with our look at the ventilation grilles   :)

The following are pictures of the two off-white plastic grilles fitted to Control Panel One:

034a.jpg
unearthly take-off.png
fast return10.png
Fast_Return.jpg

The colour-balance in the final picture is poor but, probably, shows a yellowing/dis-colouration of the grilles' plastic due to repeated exposure to the hot studio lights. The brittle nature of the plastic can also be seen in the damage to the curved edges evident in the pictures.

Based on these pictures, here is my interpretation of the two plastic grilles fitted to Panel 1:

plastic grilles panel 1.png

As Barry has pointed out, the grilles fitted to the panels on either side of Panel 1 (so, Control Panels 2 and 6) were initially identical:

Doctor Who cast1.jpg
misaligned panel.png
N39a.jpg

detail_UnearthlyChild (1).jpg
panel_6_01.jpg

It is interesting to note the effect different lighting can have on the appearance of these grilles; in the photo of the cast from "Keys of Marinus", the grille appears to be shiny whilst in the other screen-grabs, the same grille appears to be matt in appearance and the unlit (black) void at its centre is visible.

So, whatever covers the central 'void' must reflect the light in some circumstances and in others allow the the light through to illuminate the frame (and void) beneath. A fine satin (aluminium) mesh would seem to be the most likely candidate - catching, as it does, the light in some circumstances whilst allowing light through the mesh in others.

To illustrate this, here is what I think was done:

grille panel 2.png

Enjoy the August bank Holiday (weather permitting  :D)!

T

galacticprobe

Aug 31, 2015, 05:45 am #336 Last Edit: Aug 31, 2015, 05:45 am by galacticprobe
That's an excellent analysis, Tony. I think you are onto something with that, especially for the "grilles" on Panels 2-6.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

markofrani

Re the panel 1 grilles, I found this on Ebay. This looks remarkably similar in size and shape. The only variation is the front grilles are horizontal not vertical. Maybe there are others that match more closely? The dimensions are : 6.75inches x 3.5inches. Not far off your plans Tony.

IMG_8969 2.JPG

IMG_8971 2.JPG

tony farrell

Goodness Jonathan - this is very close...... What search criteria did you use?

T

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

markofrani

If you look for vintage tape recorders circa 1950, some models have these. Interestingly when they have them, there are two - perfect for Panel 1!

grilles2.JPG

Still looking for the exact same version though...

Rassilons Rod

I wonder if the bezel on that eBay item is vertically symmetrical... if you could just flip it over...... (clearly the holes go all the way through.)
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Sep 01, 2015, 06:12 am #342 Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015, 06:12 am by galacticprobe
I was thinking the exact same thing, Marc! (It's amazing how sometimes even the medicated mind can think like a great mind. ;) :D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Aug 31, 2015, 05:07 pm
I wonder if the bezel on that eBay item is vertically symmetrical... if you could just flip it over...... (clearly the holes go all the way through.)

I understand what you mean Marc - if it could be flipped the horizontal ribs would be on the underside rather than 'on the top'... Unfortunately, as Jonathan has stated, the grilles he found on Ebay aren't the same size and, they don't have the same number of ribs (either horizontal (14) or vertical (29)):

plastic grilles panel 1.png

T

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Aug 31, 2015, 05:45 am
That's an excellent analysis, Tony. I think you are onto something with that, especially for the "grilles" on Panels 2-6.

Dino.

Thanks Dino. For information, I indulged in what the BBC used to call Colour Separation Overlay; I took a photo of some fine-grade Aluminium mesh, then enlarged it and (using the rubber in Paint) then blanked off each of the apertures in the mesh. I then placed the photo of the mesh over my drawing of the ventilation grille's base. So, what you are seeing is the base through the mesh as you would in real life.

Regrettably, I can't find a decent picture of the grille on Control Panel Three so, this will have to wait.

In the meantime, here is my interpretation of the Ventilation Grille on Panel Four:

01x06-TheAztecs_01.jpg
aztecs.png
lens.jpg
curve for grilles.png

T