Apr 18, 2024, 12:23 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Console Control Panels

Started by tony farrell, Dec 14, 2014, 09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Quote from: rassilonsrod on Mar 23, 2015, 08:40 pm
I'm sure I can see a filled area in that inferno shot........

Certainly the first 3 rings (from the top) are hollowed out... But that fourth one, before the metal support....

Hi Marc,
I too can see a filled-in ring but it seems to be only the innermost segments (as per my drawing) which I've tried to draw as flat as possible. Dino spotted the strange structure at the base of the mast, and I drew the bracket based on what I could see. Taking Jonathan's hi-def picture from Inferno (you really are a mine of info Jonathan) and comparing that to my suggested 'mounting plate', here is what I see:

detailed array.jpg

Interestingly the rotating navigational instrument's turntable appears to be made in two distinct sections.... hmmm. Thoughts anyone?

Rassilons Rod

Hmmm.... I really think we're talking a bit a cross purposes Tony :D

You have 5 segments working from the circumference inwards.

The fifth one is filled in, in your diagram... But as per your diagram, the mounting plate would cover it up completely.

I'm suggesting the 4th bit should be solid...
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

celation

Yes - I agree with you, Marc. The fourth bit is solid, and it's also completely flat. The basket stops being hemispherical and levels out after the third set of windows (which were removed by Shawcraft - only the first two levels are open in the original basket.

I'll see if I can find/take a picture...

markofrani

Mar 24, 2015, 09:52 am #153 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 09:55 am by markofrani
I think Marc and Celation are correct. It does look to me like the fourth segment is also solid. If this section had also been cut away it would certainly have weakened the basket.

galacticprobe

Mar 24, 2015, 05:05 pm #154 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 05:07 pm by galacticprobe
Looking at that 2-piece turntable, I'm guessing that the bottom (narrower) part is stationary and connected to the rest of the static part, and is part of the entire instrument's base. Then that top (wider) part is the rotating portion, possibly resting on some sort of bearings that are perhaps inside a track on the top of the narrow bottom part.

Plausible?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Quote from: celation on Mar 24, 2015, 09:30 am
Yes - I agree with you, Marc. The fourth bit is solid, and it's also completely flat. The basket stops being hemispherical and levels out after the third set of windows (which were removed by Shawcraft - only the first two levels are open in the original basket.

I'll see if I can find/take a picture...

As I've said before, I'm perfectly happy to change my drawings if someone can show me a decent picture of the original console....

In the meantime, here is what I see:

zarbi crop.png

Tony

tony farrell

Quote from: galacticprobe on Mar 24, 2015, 05:05 pm
Looking at that 2-piece turntable, I'm guessing that the bottom (narrower) part is stationary and connected to the rest of the static part, and is part of the entire instrument's base. Then that top (wider) part is the rotating portion, possibly resting on some sort of bearings that are perhaps inside a track on the top of the narrow bottom part.

Plausible?

Dino.

Entirely plausible Dino. Amazing the detail you can get from a decent-sized photo, isn't it? I do however think that both sections are the same diameter and the apparent difference is caused by the blue wires getting in the way of the bottom section.

And, who'd have thought the wires would be blue!

T

Rassilons Rod

I'm sorry Tony, I'm not seeing daylight where you have marked it in red... It looks darker than the bits above to me...
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

On the right hand picture immediately above the turn table is a smaller dark disc-like object, immediately above that are very small triangular sections of light coming from inside the basket, then there are the three big open sections.

What we need is a decent picture of this part from the original console - which is extremely unlikely.  :(

T

Rassilons Rod

Mar 24, 2015, 07:49 pm #159 Last Edit: Mar 24, 2015, 07:58 pm by rassilonsrod
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 24, 2015, 07:43 pm
On the right hand picture immediately above the turn table is a smaller dark disc-like object, immediately above that are very small triangular sections of light coming from inside the basket, then there are the three big open sections.

What we need is a decent picture of this part from the original console - which is extremely unlikely.  :(

T

Inbeween the Zarbi's leg sections...

Row 1 - Two open windows
Row 2 - Two open windows
Row 3 - One double width window
Row 4 - Then it looks filled in...

Ok, I won't labour this anymore... I have another question :D

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 22, 2015, 12:15 am
This drawing shows the 'directors' fitted to the dipoles:

directors.png

T

I think your dims for the vertical connecting pieces aren't quite right...

Here's my explanation :)
Fin_supports.png

The green box is from your dims: using 0.125" thick plastic (same thickness as I used for your fins)

Your dims for the connecting pieces - 0.33" high

My dims measured from point to point -
Height - 0.360"
Thickness - 0.87"
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Hi Marc, I've made everything from the same thickness of material including the vertical face of each 'director' and angled each join accordingly. Otherwise, as you point out, the visual effects team would have had to use two different thicknesses of Perspex.
T

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 24, 2015, 09:07 pm
Hi Marc, I've made everything from the same thickness of material including the vertical face of each 'director' and angled each join accordingly. Otherwise, as you point out, the visual effects team would have had to use two different thicknesses of Perspex.
T

But yours still isn't tall enough ;)
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

marc.png

A right angled triangle with sides of 0.625" would give you a hypotenuse of 0.88". I've simply gone to the nearest sensible fraction of an inch - 7/8th (0.875") - that could be cut in the real world of 1963.

My drawing is 96 pixels to the inch (so, if printed full-size, as near as damn it life size) and 0.33 inches for each vertical is clearly accurate (well, to a pixel). In 'real life' any slight gaps would be filled with the glue used! 

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 24, 2015, 09:54 pm
In 'real life' any slight gaps would be filled with the glue used!

Yeah, I'll give you that one :)
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Mar 25, 2015, 06:10 am #164 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2015, 06:12 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Mar 24, 2015, 07:31 pm
Entirely plausible Dino. Amazing the detail you can get from a decent-sized photo, isn't it? I do however think that both sections are the same diameter and the apparent difference is caused by the blue wires getting in the way of the bottom section.

And, who'd have thought the wires would be blue!

Tony, I didn't see any wires interfering with how that rotating part of the turntable looked. I opened the image in a new window and it's quite large. That top section of the turntable is definitely larger than the lower part, and you can clearly see the "dividing line" following the curve of that "assembly".

detailed array2.jpg
The red arrows point to the blue wires (and they are blue!). The yellow arrows - hopefully not interfering with the view - show the line/seam between the upper and lower section of the turntable and how it follows the curve, and on the far right side you can see the top part is overhanging the lower part by just a little.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"