New, New TardisBuilders!

[PROJECT] Doctor Who UE4

Started by doctor222, Dec 12, 2014, 10:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor222

Dec 12, 2014, 10:07 am Last Edit: Jan 25, 2015, 11:01 am by doctor222
DOCTOR WHO UE4

Presentation
Behind this name, an attempt to recreate some of the famous scene of the classic serie, as a computer Game. If for the moment we are still thinking about the goal. We can say that the first Demo will containt the Junkyard of Totters lane, and the Console room of the Hartnell Era.

Staff

Images
render_console_02.jpgrender_console_01.jpg
"You're a beautiful lady, probably" - Tom Baker City of Death

tony farrell

This is starting to look very good indeed (oh, how I envy people with computer skills)! I'm looking forward to seeing much more.

Tony

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2014, 07:05 pm #2 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014, 07:05 pm by galacticprobe
Ditto, Tony; very much ditto!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

expendable

So you can use this program to do a walk through..... hmmmm!

tony farrell

Really? Oh, the possibilities!

doctor222

For the moment i try to import and reproduce in the Unreal Engine 3 the Hartnell Console Room. And i will certainly put the demo on the web for everyone to play. But IF the BBC didn't ask me to stop it, and if i found more people to work with me, i think we can do a good free 3D Game.

for the first version i think there will be no gameplay, only a walk in the console room. But i will try to add a first one, where you will have to look for a fluid link for the console to make the TARIDS work, like in "The Daleks".

vortex maker

You should also make it have different versions of the console room. So you start out in Hartnell's console room and then you find other ones either in the locations that you visit, or hidden throughout the TARDIS.

galacticprobe

Dec 19, 2014, 05:44 am #7 Last Edit: Dec 19, 2014, 05:44 am by galacticprobe
Better than "finding" other consoles/rooms in places where you visit, or in other parts of the TARDIS (other than the Secondary console room), like with 'The Legend of Zelda' games and the like, as you progress through the game, you can find pieces to use to "upgrade" the TARDIS, and as you collect the pieces and bring them back to the TARDIS, you can select an "Upgrade" function that incorporates your new-found pieces into the console, so it slowly changes from the original Hartnell, to the version Troughton used, then to the "Inferno" version, and so on. With each bit you find you get a more "high tech" console (until you get to the "Five Doctors" version - you'll need to find loads of bits for that "upgrade" <word used loosely>).

Not sure how you'd move from that one to the TVM console, or from there to the War Doctor console, then to the 2005 console, but I'll leave that bit to the gamers.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

doctor222

Project isn't dead at all. I just didn't have much time to work on it. So watch this :

tony farrell

Now you've really whet my appetite. I want more!
T

doctor222

Another update. So for start I'm now working on Unreal Engine 4. Since the beginning of this project I've deleted all my work and starting to remake everything. Also as I'm starting to understand more and more how UE4 work, I'm working a bit faster. But clearly the longest things to do is creating all the object in 3D Studio Max.

Since the biginning, I'm asking myself what to do exactly with the project. Do i make an exacter replica of the studio in 1963. Or do i made a sort of updated version. I mean, do i made a video game version with walls, and so on. I've made my choice and i will do both, but starting with the video game version first. I'm also planning to do a exact replica of Lime Grove studio D, and mostly the set from the very first story with the junkyard and Coal Hill School.

But for now, let me show you what is done :

Basically I'm starting to create a sort of blueprint of the console room. The Roundel Wall aren't finished at all. The Main door aren't made either.

About the Main Menu. Is a mock up of 76 Totters Lane. A map I'm also planning to do. But not sure if you will be able to walk in it as it's quite small. And also there another problems. With the Unreal Engine 3 you could reproduce the Portal effect. Which means you could walk into a box and been teleported in another without loading screen and such. So for Totters Lane, i would love to make this possible. Walk toward the TARDIS and ending up in the console room. Being able to walk around the Police box and seeing from the exterior the cosole room also.

The Only trouble is that it's not possible yet in the Unreal Engine 4. It is said that they are working on it to bring back the effect, but it's not yet done. And we are allready at the version 4.9 . Wait and see.

If people want to help me, feel free to contact me in private. I'm sure we could find a way.