News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Gallifreyan-Inspired Desk Tidy

Started by The14thDr, Dec 10, 2014, 06:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Dec 10, 2014, 06:39 pm Last Edit: Jun 10, 2017, 01:28 pm by The14thDr
Hello TARDIS builders!
This is a little project that I've been planning for a couple of days. It's basically my version of the bookcase seen in the Twelfth Doctor's TARDIS console room, which was first revealed earlier this year. I've been looking through the reference images for this particular piece, and I have to say it looks stunning. Here's a shot of the original bookcase:
TARDIScatwalkBookcase-04.jpg
(photo taken from this thread: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5587.0)
I haven't actually started the build yet, as it's still in the planning phase. However, I have been working on some drawings and blueprints, as well as a 3D model on Google SketchUp to test the logistics of it all.
tardis bookcase 1.jpg
As you can see I've excluded the two smaller sections of the bookcase as I don't have enough room to build all the pieces. (The solid block next to the bookcase is a quick mock-up of my desk, just to make sure everything fits). I've also simplified the design a little to make the construction phase a little easier for my inexperienced hands. I probably won't begin building the bookcase until the New Year, but I will keep this thread updated with designs and blueprints, so don't hesitate to post any questions or advice below.

Kind regards, The14thDr  :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

TheWitch

Hey,

Hope these can help in some way.

-Tom_J

large.pngsmall.png

The14thDr

Thanks Tom_J. That top image should help me with the completion of my SketchUp model, and as for the second render, that would make a very nice project in itself. ;)

Kind regards, The14thDr :D

The14thDr

Dec 11, 2014, 04:14 pm #3 Last Edit: Dec 11, 2014, 04:14 pm by The14thDr
As promised, I've made a few changes to the 3D model that I put together last night. I modified the shape of the top section to make it look more like the original bookcase, as well as adding the extra Gallifreyan symbols.
bookcase design2.jpg
bookcase-top-section.jpg
And here's a nice head-on shot of the entire thing:
bookcase-head-on.jpg
For the construction of the bookcase I'm planning to use 3mm hardboard (also known as Masonite and high-density fibreboard) as I have plenty to spare and I can cut all the sides out myself, even with my limited woodworking skills. I'll also be using some small wooden blocks to help hold all the pieces together as well as support the extra weight of all my Doctor Who books.

The14thDr

Jun 01, 2017, 12:06 pm #4 Last Edit: Jun 01, 2017, 12:11 pm by The14thDr
Wow!! I can't believe it's been over two-and-a-half years since I last updated this thread! You'll be glad to know I haven't completely abandoned the idea; I've simply lacked the space for any new Gallifreyan-themed furniture.

This time, however, I'm going for a miniature, desk-tidy type thing for my bedside table, inspired by that famed Gallifreyan bookcase. :D

So far, I have the following sketches, and I plan on having plenty of drawers to store all my Doctor Who props and other bits and pieces inside.
IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG

I do hope this sort of project will still be permitted here, as it is technically inspired by a piece from the current console room, merely on a smaller scale and with a slightly different shape. :P

galacticprobe

Jun 02, 2017, 04:41 am #5 Last Edit: Jun 02, 2017, 04:42 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: The14thDr on Jun 01, 2017, 12:06 pm
Wow!! I can't believe it's been over two-and-a-half years since I last updated this thread! You'll be glad to know I haven't completely abandoned the idea; I've simply lacked the space for any new Gallifreyan-themed furniture.

Time really does fly when you're having fun (or when school tests are looming overhead!). And it's nice to know this one didn't just fall by the wayside.

Quote from: The14thDr on Jun 01, 2017, 12:06 pm
I do hope this sort of project will still be permitted here, as it is technically inspired by a piece from the current console room, merely on a smaller scale and with a slightly different shape. :P

At least to me, this is no different than a custom console or hybrid TARDIS, especially ones that have been scaled down (like for a TARDIS cat fort, or type55tardis' consoles just to mention a couple that spring go mind), or some of those other members' "inspired designs" builds. If it's got 'Who' designs on it and is based on a 'Who' prop or piece of scenery, then it's all good.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"