Mar 29, 2024, 05:04 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2014 Console Coordinate Display?

Started by The14thDr, Nov 25, 2014, 03:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The14thDr

Having watched Death in Heaven the other week, I was really inspired by the scanner display that appeared on one of the monitors as the Doctor tried to enter the coordinates for Gallifrey:
IMG_20141125_154111.JPG
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I could recreate this sort of display for my own TARDIS console? Only I want it without the coordinates, so that I could enter my own as I fly through the Vortex. :)
Also, since I'm planning to use my tablet for the monitor, does anyone know of an app or something similar that would allow me to enter text over the top of an image? I know it's a bit of a long shot, but I was wondering if there was an app that would let me do that. If not could achieve something similar with a digital photo frame or any other piece of cheap-ish technology?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

asimov

Hi 14thdoctor,

Yes this could easily be achieved in photoshop.
I did something similar for a game I was making
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XSYflFPJnw&list=UUm1KA1OptzEZR7AcTRKXXrQ

You will see what I mean a few seconds into this video.

Basically get hold of a plugin called glitterato. Which makes the swirling nebulas and clouds. Over lay another layer and draw some grids in a colour say green, and make it slightly tranparent. Then find a picture of a nice nebula and put it at the bottom layer. Basically to get the effect you want you building up layers in photoshop and making them all slightly transparent.

Hope this helps.

Asimov
------------------------------------------------------
Asimov

The14thDr

Thanks for the reply! I might give that a go, although I don't own the full version of Photoshop. Will this matter, or can I still achieve the same effect with the trial version?

I was also thinking of purchasing a small digital photo frame that I could display the various GUIs and HUDs on. Does anybody know if there's a way to connect a bluetooth keyboard to a digital photo frame so as to add a sort of caption to the photo? That way if I created a GUI similar to the one used by the Twelfth Doctor to enter coordinates, I would be able to add the coordinates over the top as a sort of caption. Then I could change the coordinates for any 'destination'. Is this possible? Or have I got to start thinking about other ideas?

BioDoctor900

Hi The14thDr,

I've been working on this...https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-0Cdj9mzXwmTcTTL1uiCmpwCxqRppIdD

It is in a different thread, but I'm trying to work on and improve It as I go along. The screen from Death in Heaven is one I'm planning to make. The pain is finding the background videos to work with as they're very particular

Hope this helps and I'm going to try and keep this updated

BioDoctor900

The14thDr

Thanks BioDoc! They look fantastic. I particularly like the London scene from The Caretaker. I'll definitely be using these for my TARDIS console.

TheWitch

The London one looks great - A great attempt at the monitors as well! maybe add lines connecting to the rotating symbols...and speeding it up a bit.

Looks great...just seems a smidge to slow.

- Tom_J

asimov

Hi Bio Doc,

Are you using AfterEffects to do the animation? I have dabbled in AE myself. I reckon you would have use vector graphics for the art so I am guessing you may have used illustrator to design your graphics. Am I right or a milion miles away heh heh? Well done though.

@14thDoctor: I pretty sure I have heard that photoshop cs2 is totally free now. I have got cs6 also, but I prefer the simplicity of cs3, which is what I use for my 3D models for texture creation. Again if you going to design graphics like Biodoc has as well I would use illustrator. The reason for this is that you can resize them to any size without losing quality because they are vector graphics. if you design a graphic symbol in photoshop and have to resize it then you will get jagged edges. However I would do the rest in photoshop.
------------------------------------------------------
Asimov

BioDoctor900

Hi Asimov,

No, I used Power Director 12. I got a video of the nebula background, and looped it. I then used the Wirligig symbols that have been made, turned them into PNG's without a background and then imported them into Power Director and then used the rotate image function to make them move. Its tricky speeding it up as you have to try and get them to fade together well. I'm planning on making another with the symbols joined, as well as the screen from Death in Heaven. Like I say, its trying to get the right backgrounds, especially the rotating Galaxy and the green and yellowish nebula on the other. I tried using images, but they don't give it the same feel as a moving video....

This is one of the images I was going to use....

26082_3d_space_scene_blue_green_space_nebula.jpg

As well as this one....

stock-footage-flying-through-star-fields-and-nebulas-in-space-revealing-a-spinning-spiral-galaxy-and-continuing.jpg

As you can see this is what the original look like....

TARDIS_Monitor_11b.jpg

BioDoctor900

BioDoctor900

Hi Guys,

So I've made the Coordinates screen from 'Death In Heaven'. So now you can get angry that The Master Lied to you ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSA8JH08fJU&list=PL-0Cdj9mzXwmTcTTL1uiCmpwCxqRppIdD&index=5

Thoughts??

BioDoctor900

The14thDr

Very good BioDoc! It looks fantastic!

TheWitch

What do you use BioDoctor900 to make your scanner animations?

-Tom_J

BioDoctor900

Hi Tom,

If you look at my previous post you'll see what I use. Will hopefully be posting more soon ;)

BioDoctor900