Mar 29, 2024, 12:40 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

console room inspired office

Started by atomicgraph, Jan 27, 2009, 03:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Apr 05, 2012, 12:50 am #45 Last Edit: Apr 05, 2012, 12:51 am by galacticprobe
Don't refrain! That pic looks so cool in the darkness. Besides, we all like to see those in-progress pics. You might think you need something more substantial, but we think you're doing great. Keep posting.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the_temporal_mechanic

Big changes can be hard, but I think you'll like life on the West Coast.  When I moved to Portland three years ago, it was a big and scary adventure. The West Coast is much more laid back and I think you will find your creative niche here.  You are supremely talented and I know you will land something soon that fits you perfectly. :)  Good luck with things!

atomicgraph

Jul 23, 2012, 02:08 am #47 Last Edit: Jul 23, 2012, 02:08 am by atomicgraph
well its not really an update... me and my daughter started adding stuff to it just for effect... nothings mounted and nothing on the frame work is tightened down so its pretty wonky looking. the center ring is very distorted even when it is tightened down but i've got a plan to smooth it all out just now time.... take care all console.jpg

greatwazoo42

Distorted or not it still looks pretty cool!

atomicgraph

Thanks great wazoo42, I'm gonna fiber glass the center ply wood ring to the bottom sections. It's notched out on the main "ribs" so the plywood ring just slides in once it's made as one piece it should make the sections a lot stronger. To bad I won't even see it again for a year or so...

atomicgraph

hello all, i'm blowing the dust off this old thread. i started messing around with the console this week end. the major thing i need to do is get the center ring built.
diameter.jpg
first i cut out a ring 6 foot one and 1/2 inch. the biggest issue is that my panels sag between the ribs. i started by using a couple sheets of particle board (i don't like using but it'll be in the center and covered.... pretty much used as a guid). i cut so that the ring will be 2 half sections, hopefully it'll keep a true circle diameter when all is said and done.
center placement.jpg
after that i placed them in and my measurements came out perfect! it fit into the precut slots on the ribs so i'm confident that everything is true so far.
template placement.jpg
so here is the shape i'm using as a profile for the center ring... its kinda basic, but i tried to keep it  in proportion to the thickness of the ribs
template trace.jpg
next up was tracing it onto wood
blocks.jpg
then cutting, i clamped down a block of wood, spaced for the distance that each block is in length. i figure i'll need roughly 25 of these so i'm trying to keep production in mind while i'm working.
edge angles.jpg
next up was cutting the outer edge angles, 36.1 degrees.
next up was cutting the interior edge. the edges of the fiberglass panels are gonna rest along it so it needs to be precise... or as precise as i can get it.
bandsaw repair.jpg
for that i needed the band saw which needed to have the blade replaced. after that i made one finished template to trace out the rest with. thats pretty much as far as i got on it, next up is cutting out a notch in the "off center" of the spacers. i plan on using a router table to keep everything uniform.
i'll leave you with a couple of "so far glam shots
saggy ring.jpg
the saggy edges in the center of the panels just looks sloppy and drives me crazy. once the center ring is finished i'm confident that all the sag will disappear.
console glam.jpg
it looks a lot better from an angel.

atomicgraph

got a little more done on the outer ring
console 2.jpg
the sag is pretty much gone next thing i need to do is permanently mount it to the ribs.

galacticprobe

Sep 22, 2013, 06:59 am #52 Last Edit: Sep 22, 2013, 06:59 am by galacticprobe
Looking really nice, atomicgraph! Are you going to keep that warm, amber glow of the fibreglass for the panels (which looks fantastic, btw)? Or are you panning to put some colored lighting inside it?

Also, before you permanently mount the panels to the ribs, will you be able to fit the console through doorways if you need to relocate it for some reason?

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

atomicgraph

hey dino, yea i'm keeping the amber glow, for power supply reasons i'm using one 60 watt bulb. this thing is huge! so it won't go through any door ways unless its a bay door or something, i'm making it so it can be disassembled, not that i plan on moving it but you never know whats gonna get thrown your way. i should have said permanent "mounting brackets" for the ribs and outer ring.

galacticprobe

Sep 23, 2013, 06:26 am #54 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2013, 06:28 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: atomicgraph on Sep 22, 2013, 10:43 am
hey dino, yea i'm keeping the amber glow, for power supply reasons i'm using one 60 watt bulb.

Have you considered using several compact fluorescent bulbs to light the console? I think a "60 Watt" compact fluorescent only pulls about 10 Watts of power. That would allow you to make the panels a little brighter while still remaining well within your power limitations. Or, if you've got the money, some of those small, high-brightness LED spotlights use less power than the compact fluorescents, so you could probably use one LED spot to light each panel. (Just some thoughts.)

this thing is huge!

So I've noticed! I envy you and the space you have to work with. (Would love to see someone standing next to the console as she is, just to get s sense of scale.)

so it won't go through any door ways unless its a bay door or something, i'm making it so it can be disassembled, not that i plan on moving it but you never know whats gonna get thrown your way. i should have said permanent "mounting brackets" for the ribs and outer ring.

Now that's what I call really thinking things through. I've seen people build bookshelves for their living rooms or dens, and then suddenly realize that they can't fit the units through the doorways to get them into the intended rooms. At least you've got disassembly plans worked into the design, just in case. As you say, "...you never know what's gonna get thrown your way." (This is something I know first-hand; all life's plans went west when my back did!)

Dino.

the_temporal_mechanic

Sep 23, 2013, 05:09 pm #55 Last Edit: Sep 24, 2013, 06:33 pm by jarenelo
Gorgeous work ya have there buddy :)  I love the  theme of this console.

atomicgraph

hello everybody, hope you all are having good hollidays. i've been trying to work on the console a little here and there mostly working on the outer ring, i'm getting flashbacks to building the dalek shoulder section (fill sand, fill sand, repeat ).
filling the gaps.jpg
after i cut all the sections from hard board and tacked it down i started filling the gaps with filler.  i had figured that i'd need to go in on the inside and reinforce the seems with fiberglass.
reinforcing rim.jpg
matting strips.jpg
got my matting cut into strips and started
reinforcing 1.jpg
once that was done and the resin cured the rim sections were nice and solid feeling.
rim filling.jpg
so it was back to filling and sanding on the surface... i want it to have a smooth finish so i've got a lot of work left to do
rim allignment.jpg
but not before i do a quick test fitting. i made these little sections of plywood that slide into the main arms and fit into cut grooves in the rims interior
rim allignment 1.jpg
i figure it'll help line it up when i make the final mounting holes.
under shot.jpg
its just held together with a few clamps
over shot.jpg
scale 2.jpg
scale 1.jpg
heres my dalek inspecting the work, to give you some sort of scale
hope everyone has a great new years

museumdave

Looking So good. 
So glad to see what is happening with your build, love this design
Thanks for sharing with us

Cheers

M.D.
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

atomicgraph

Thanks Dave,that  means a lot coming from you hope it turns out half as good as your console

galacticprobe

Dec 31, 2013, 06:14 am #59 Last Edit: Dec 31, 2013, 06:14 am by galacticprobe
What Dave said! And now that the 50th Anniversary episode has aired (and is well past its "spoiler" date), I can safely say that your console almost has that feel of the John Hurt console, especially with the lighting and the base.

Dino.