Apr 20, 2024, 04:37 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

My (computer desk) Tardis Console

Started by spannt, Oct 24, 2014, 02:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spannt

Nov 02, 2014, 11:41 pm #30 Last Edit: Nov 02, 2014, 11:47 pm by spannt
OK, well here's more progress... ;D And yes there is a switch at the bottom of the Sonic Screwdriver part that turns them to red when you put it in. On the computer side of it, The red button is power, Blue is reset and the large gray one, is the power to the power supply. The meter above the gray switch is a ac volt meter, so when you turn on the gray switch it reads 110 Volts. Middle box is my creative extigy usb sound card, and to the left of it, Is a 3 port usb hub and sd card reader. The monitor stand is, black gas line from Lowes.

console51.jpg

console52.jpg

console53.jpg

console54.jpg
Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

The14thDr

Loving it! I really like the contrast between the wood and the metal. Your use of working computer components such as the USB hub is very clever as it adds a very technical look to the console. Looking forward to more updates as well.

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

jmyprime

I'm so utterly impressed by this, your work is absolutely beautiful! If I ever get the chance or know-how to build my own console, I hope it's half as great as what you've made just up to this point. I await the finished result with high anticipation!

spannt

Nov 05, 2014, 03:05 am #33 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014, 03:06 am by spannt
Fans for the desk, have been installed :-)  Oh and a 3" tv screen..a meter that doesn't work and working on some levers.

console55.jpg

kiwidoc

spannt

Nov 08, 2014, 02:53 am #35 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014, 02:59 am by spannt
Ok, Its starting to get a lot of things, so it's time for a video. I still have a lot to do,  But lets break it down. Computer Desk side, is pretty much already been explained earlier. The fans are to keep the heat down so the motherboards don't over heat. The small 3" screens are hooked to a Raspberry Pi that will be controlling the sounds and relay boards to run the middle raising and lowering. I have also decided to have the console control all aspects of the room, lights etc. The phone does work. The only thing is you have to turn the switch on to get a dial tone when it's hooked up. The other screen if you can't tell is a digital photo frame capable of not only displaying pictures but also playing divx avi movies. So If any one has some cool screen animations, I will def. use them and give you 100% credit for them. So watch the video and please leave some comments, even if you have ideas to make it better. Please let me know.

galacticprobe

Nov 08, 2014, 04:34 am #36 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014, 04:35 am by galacticprobe
That is one cool console! (And it doubles as a work desk.) I love how the fans' speed interacts with the "shutter speed" of the camera to create that spoking effect. In person the fans probably look like just spinning fans, but in the video they look like they're scanning for something. (It's amazing how video like that works - couldn't have planned that better if you tried!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

It's beautiful! How did you make the lights change colour when you inserted a sonic into the charger? Was it pressure plates or something different? And where on Earth did you find that 3 inch TV screen?! I've been searching on eBay for ages and I can't seem to find one.

timewomble

mmccreadie

Nov 09, 2014, 07:12 pm #39 Last Edit: Nov 11, 2014, 08:42 am by mmccreadie
Quote from: spannt on Nov 08, 2014, 02:53 amThe other screen if you can't tell is a digital photo frame capable of not only displaying pictures but also playing divx avi movies. So If any one has some cool screen animations, I will def. use them

I did this Series 1-ish animation for The Project That Shall Not Be Named, similar to the static picture you have on the photo frame already which you're free to use.
I'm not sure I kept the After Effects project file to actually alter it but I can convert or resize it if needed...

davidnagel

Quote from: mmccreadie on Nov 09, 2014, 07:12 pm
Series 1-ish animation for The Project That Shall Not Be Named

*yoink*
Regards
David

spannt

Nov 11, 2014, 04:22 am #41 Last Edit: Nov 11, 2014, 04:15 pm by spannt
Added 1 of 3 levers, and some buttons.   ;D

console56.jpg

The14thDr

Where did you get that lever from?!

spannt

It's a circuit breaker box, disconnect handle. I got 2 off ebay for $20.00. The one I posted below isn't the deal I got. It's just for a reference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-BRADLEY-DISCONNECT-SWITCH-HANDLE-/290860215507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b89eacd3

spannt

Nov 13, 2014, 04:51 am #44 Last Edit: Nov 13, 2014, 04:51 am by spannt
More added, and still going! I incorporated Robs Marble lights :-)

console58.jpg