Mar 29, 2024, 05:11 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 14 Console Room

Started by pmc, Nov 08, 2009, 03:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pmc

Nov 08, 2009, 03:45 pm Last Edit: Dec 01, 2010, 06:44 pm by Scarfwearer
Well a few years ago I created a virtual model of the season 14 console room but due to a nasty hard disk problem I lost the virtual model and all the reference pictures I had accumulated.

While checking out Scarfwearer's season 14 console build, which is fantastic, I was inspired to start again and re create the season 14 console room.

I think this is one of my favorite console rooms of all time and very elegant. If I were to convert a real room this is what I would base my designs on.

Here are a few pics of my work so far. It's not finished by a long way but the basics are in place. Some textures need created and others tweaked. The first pic is for reference.

d4-4m-23.jpg

s14_cr2_01.jpg

s14_cr2_02.jpg

handofomega

Nov 09, 2009, 03:38 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 06:45 pm by scarfwearer
VERY NICE Secondary Console room!!!! :o :o :o

I need to get the hang of a better 3D program than Sketch-Up.  I knocked one together eariler this year in old Sketch-Up but it needs reworking thanks to Scarfwearer's great pics of his new build.  Here is a shot of what I did, I added a few bits from other consolerooms, i.e. the Police Box doors.

Untitled2-1.jpg

pmc

Nov 09, 2009, 05:22 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 16, 2010, 06:46 pm by scarfwearer
Nice build HandofOmega, very good job. I like what you have done with the console, the domed top. When looking at the original it does look like there is something missing. There is a rather conspicuous circular section that is just begging for a time rotor. I have seen this in other 3D models so I guess that is what I will do.

I also like the stylised look you have got with Sketch up, very like the animated Doctor Who stuff.

pmc

It's been a while since I started this 3D model of the season 14 console room, having done a bit more I thought I would share some pictures.

I have decided the console does need a time rotor, I have done some work on this but it isn't finished yet. so will post some more pictures in the coming days.

Anyway here are my updated pics.

s14_cr2_03.jpg

s14_cr2_04.jpg

pmc

The wood texture i have used is a burlock wood texture, this is just mapped and tweaked to look right. To be honest all my textures need refining as they are not quite right yet. The stained glass style roundel type textures were created in Corel Draw and then applied in my 3D package (3DS Max 2010). All the other textures were created in 3DS Max.

As I have said I have created a time rotor which I will reveal soon. I'm currently working on the ceiling and am trying to base this on an Edwardian/Victorian style glass roof. It isn't finished so may change slightly.

Pictures to be posted soon.

type 83

Comparing the reference picture to your first render I'd say you need to widen the scanner screen slightly

pmc

Sep 18, 2013, 01:05 pm #6 Last Edit: Feb 24, 2014, 10:37 am by pmc
I was looking at the work I did ages ago now and decided to give it a bit of an update. I have given the room a warmer feel, more so than it had in the show, I suppose this is how I'd have wanted it to look.

room05.jpg

room06.jpg

Here is the back wall that we never did see.

room07.jpg

And this console deserves a time rotor.

room08.jpg

I am working on an animation but this may take a while yet.

DoctorWho8

Oh that's very nice.  I think you can go more brown with the color.  Seems too cherry rather than mahogany.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

expendable

Oh, very nice! I love the grain in the wood and the look of the room! Great decoration on the flaps! The time rotor's nice, I love the details on the plate securing it to the top!

galacticprobe

Sep 19, 2013, 05:43 am #9 Last Edit: Sep 19, 2013, 05:45 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: expendable on Sep 18, 2013, 09:34 pm
Oh, very nice! I love the grain in the wood and the look of the room! Great decoration on the flaps! The time rotor's nice, I love the details on the plate securing it to the top!

Very nice, indeed! Oh, if the BBC only had the budget back then... I think they wanted to have some sort of time rotor on this console and it could have well been something along this design, but the money just wasn't there, which is why they had that disc atop the console - to cover the hole intended for a time rotor.

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Sep 18, 2013, 02:36 pm
Oh that's very nice.  I think you can go more brown with the color.  Seems too cherry rather than mahogany.

I think Bill's right. Your first draft of color is closer to the original. (Mind you, that cherry look is also nice, but for accuracy I'd go with Bill's suggestion.)

And a question: Do you think you'll get to doing a render looking into the room from the threshold, sort of like this:
Quote from: pmc on Sep 18, 2013, 01:05 pm
room06.jpg

but looking at that back, unseen wall? (Enlarged a bit, it would make a great backdrop on a wall in someone's den!)

Brilliant work!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Ooh splendid!

Love those renders.
Regards
David

Vale

I like this a very great deal, especially the time rotor. It's nice and in keeping with the room's theme without looking ridiculous or exaggerated, as can happen with steampunk design. In my opinion the only issue with the secondary console room as used in the show was that it was woefully unfinished... it still managed to look better than the rooms it replaced and was in turn replaced by.

I do agree that the colour of the wood could do with tweaking a little... it's certainly warm but it looks a bit too much like the TV Movie's infamous redwood formica. Perhaps something a bit more oaky?

DoctorWho8

I took the liberty of adjusting the color.  I used the hue/saturation in Photoshop and bumped the hue on the reds only up to 13 and took the saturation down -5.
room06.jpg

pmc

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Sep 20, 2013, 09:14 pm
I took the liberty of adjusting the color.  I used the hue/saturation in Photoshop and bumped the hue on the reds only up to 13 and took the saturation down -5.
room06.jpg

Yeah that looks better, I want to make sure I get it closer without loosing the warmth of the room.

Also I do have a shot looking from the threshold Dino, I can do it in whatever resolution is best, with rotor up or down.

Ill try and post these updates sometime next week but I'm away at the moment so won't be until later in the week.

Paul.

DoctorWho8

I think my modified version looks like a warm mahogany versus stained oak, which can look more dark and slightly greenish.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff