Apr 19, 2024, 05:01 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Combined TARDIS Console

Started by rainfanrachel, Oct 20, 2014, 06:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rainfanrachel

Oct 20, 2014, 06:50 pm Last Edit: Oct 20, 2014, 06:51 pm by rainfanrachel
I've decided I want to attempt to build a virtual TARDIS console that would stay true to each version of the console The Doctor has had, but I didn't want to just build one console. Therefore I've made a plan to combine one panel from each of my favourite consoles into a main console. So far I have drawn a rough plan out virtually.
project.png
starting from 1 each panel assigns to this version of the console.
1 - Season 1-Season 6
2 - Season 21-Season 26
3 - 1996 TV Movie
4 - 2005-2009
5 - 2010-2012
6 - 2013-present

expendable

I like the concept! Should be an interesting build!

rainfanrachel

Oct 21, 2014, 08:52 pm #2 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2014, 08:52 pm by rainfanrachel
I finally made the "base" model of the console with colours on each panel. Next is to put holes in the places that need it and seal off the gaps

TARDIS1.png
TARDIS2.png
TARDIS3.png

rainfanrachel

A problem has struck, guys. It won't let me add the holes to the portions that need them. I believe some users would have knowledge of why, as I use the same software as them, but for now I'm unsure if it will let me make the console screen-accurate.

vortex maker

Oct 24, 2014, 02:07 am #4 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014, 05:51 am by rassilonsrod
Are you using sketchup? Send some people that you know use it a PM. If your using Blender, I can help you. I'm pretty sure there are a few others to. If your lucky enough to be using something like Maya or 3DS max, you should go to one their forums and ask for help.

rainfanrachel

I'm actually using Roblox Studio - Usually it allows me to make the more complex shapes of the console, but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. I believe D0ct0r200004 knows it, though.

Rassilons Rod

In Maya, I now start by making a hole (using a pipe) and build out the rest of the shape from there.

That's how I did the holes in the bottom of this iPhone rim. But you have to make sure the edgeflow works so everything can connect up later. I use 8 sides for my circles and then smooth it afterwards.

2014-10-23_ Frame.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

absolutely

Rachel, add me on Skype @ rainbowmike15. I believe you'll find I have experience with that model in particular.

The problem is that when you union a part in the presence of other parts Roblox'll go mad and treat it like you're unioning the entire thing.

rainfanrachel

Nevermind - thanks to eyebrowsofmattsmith I have managed to make the holes needed - just need to make an image of the Gallifreyan seen on that 2014 panel I'm using.

rainfanrachel

Nov 07, 2014, 07:54 pm #9 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014, 01:03 am by rainfanrachel
Thanks to some help from eyebrowsofmattsmith I have been able to make the indents and cut-outs needed for the panels of the console that need items to fill those indents/cuts - from looking up my references of each panel again, the 2005, 2010 and 1963 panels had no indents or cuts that were visible, and I will therefore add on their details later when I place the items on each console
Console.png

expendable

wow! Cannot wait to see the next part when you start putting on components!

rainfanrachel

I think one of the hardest parts for me will be the engraved Gallifreyan on the glass of the current console's section - the cogs behind it should be fairly easy :)

galacticprobe

Nov 08, 2014, 04:22 am #12 Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014, 04:25 am by galacticprobe
Hopefully this will help you with the Gallifreyan "etching" on that cog-and-gear panel:
GearPanelMarkings.jpg
It's the best image I could grab from the Google Maps TARDIS interior. Sharpened, and contrast-adjusted as much as I could to get the best image of all the etchings. Fortunately most look like just circles, with the occasional little circle overlapping them. No odd, wiggly or zigzaggy lines.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

rainfanrachel

So, I've been working on the console a bit more and added the cogs and dials needed to the 1996 and 2013 panels so far (including the purple glass for 2013 and label sections for 1996). - I'll be adding more to their panels, as well as the others before adding the Gallifreyan etching on the 2013 panel, as I still need to create the graphic for it.
2013 panel
Console.png
1996 panel
Console2.png

galacticprobe

Nov 11, 2014, 06:51 am #14 Last Edit: Nov 12, 2014, 07:08 am by galacticprobe
I would love to see the "assembly diagram" for that cog-and-gear panel's workings. The sprockets look like they could be wood-cuts (like some old clock movements), or possibly cast resin (but then you'd have to cut the sprockets to make forms for the castings, so why not just stick with wood-cut ones?).

At any road, I'd love to see how it was all put together; it's the technician in me. I love seeing how things work. And I hope that my image grab was helpful with the Gallifreyan etchings on that panel's glass. (And I don't think the glass itself is purple; I think it's the lighting from under the glass - around its edges - that gives it the purple glow. Remember early in Series 7b when that panel's glass wasn't lit?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"