Apr 26, 2024, 05:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Door/panel construction

Started by totallyparker, Oct 20, 2014, 01:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

totallyparker

Hi,

Being new to woodworking, I find myself a bit confused looking at Rudloff's plans.  The doors are sandwiched between 3/4" ply for the backing, 1/4" for the panels, and 3/4" for the rails and stiles.  The question is, the 1/4" piece.  Is it cut to make the square-y shape of the panel, then the 3/4" over top of it to make the trim?

galacticprobe

Oct 21, 2014, 08:34 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 21, 2014, 08:47 am by galacticprobe
Well, since you're looking at the PDF plans that Bill posted a link to here http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4414.msg53014#msg53014, I'd hazard a guess that the 1/4" is the part that the stiles (those outer 3/4" pieces - basically 1 x 4s) are affixed to, so in that case yes; those are what we see of the doors from the outside. That 3/4" inner backing is for both strengthening the doors (structural integrity, since they take the most abuse when being thrown open and slammed shut), and possibly also to thicken the doors enough so the lock can be mounted (the sides might be too thin for the lock as they are).

At least that's my guess. If I'm wrong... over to you, Bill!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

DoctorWho8

The 1/4" ply is sandwiched between the outside and inside stiles of the doors.  It's a solid piece throughout.  On the other sides, they only have the full 1/4" sheet of plywood with the outside stiles attached. If you want the walls a little thicker, used 1/2" plywood.
Bill "the Doctor" rudloff

galacticprobe

Oct 25, 2014, 05:40 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2014, 05:40 pm by galacticprobe
Ah. Thanks for clarifying that, Bill. I guess I was a bit off the mark after all. :P ;) :D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"