News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

I'm keeping busy

Started by handofomega, Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

geminitimelord

Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jun 06, 2010, 06:37 pm
Quote from: handofomega on Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 pm
As many of you know my Sketch-Up work from the other board, I thought I would show off what I have been doing to keep busy.   

mytardis.jpg

I see your psychic powers were on as you have the large circle scanner screen just like the current TARDIS console room.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Or maybe the design team at the BBC visits these boards and got some ideas from Hand of Omega's concepts?

handofomega

Quote from: geminitimelord on Jun 07, 2010, 04:12 pm
Quote from: DoctorWho8 on Jun 06, 2010, 06:37 pm
Quote from: handofomega on Mar 23, 2009, 10:28 pm
As many of you know my Sketch-Up work from the other board, I thought I would show off what I have been doing to keep busy.   

mytardis.jpg

I see your psychic powers were on as you have the large circle scanner screen just like the current TARDIS console room.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

Or maybe the design team at the BBC visits these boards and got some ideas from Hand of Omega's concepts?

And I would be very honoured if they did!!!

handofomega

BTW, I am working on a TARDIS interior currently that I intend to finish completely before posting and HOPEFULLY have it rendered photo realistically too in the program someone mentioned to me.  I am close to being done, but I want to put in a few more roundels....   ;)

type 83

Awesome, I would say that the console is a cross between the TVM and Scream of the Shalka consoles?

The pillars and wooden console are from the TVM, the large Rotor with the big thingy on top and the shape of the console is Shalka, am I right?

handofomega

Quote from: type 83 on Jun 08, 2010, 08:50 pm
Awesome, I would say that the console is a cross between the TVM and Scream of the Shalka consoles?

The pillars and wooden console are from the TVM, the large Rotor with the big thingy on top and the shape of the console is Shalka, am I right?

Actually the wooden part of the console is based on Shalka, the rest of the console area is either from the TVM or is my own design.  The thing floating HIGH above the girders of the console area is based on the thing from the original Hartnell console room.

type 83

Quote from: handofomega on Jun 08, 2010, 09:17 pm
Quote from: type 83 on Jun 08, 2010, 08:50 pm

Actually the wooden part of the console is based on Shalka, the rest of the console area is either from the TVM or is my own design.  The thing floating HIGH above the girders of the console area is based on the thing from the original Hartnell console room.

Yeah, the fresnel lens

Teletran

I love the big doors, very old meets new.
I always meant to do a tutorial on how to stack roundels, I can't remember if I ever did but basically if you get the maths right you can flip every second panel and get a perfect 60 degree staggering. This saves your computer from having a nervous breakdown. You look like you've worked out something similar but if you ever want to swap tips let me know.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

handofomega

Quote from: Teletran on Jun 20, 2010, 01:54 pm
I love the big doors, very old meets new.
I always meant to do a tutorial on how to stack roundels, I can't remember if I ever did but basically if you get the maths right you can flip every second panel and get a perfect 60 degree staggering. This saves your computer from having a nervous breakdown. You look like you've worked out something similar but if you ever want to swap tips let me know.

::) I wishI could say that I did some sort of flip to create the Roundels in the steampunk inspired console room...  unfortunately I didn't discover certain tools in sketch-up till after I did this...  It took a while to place all the roundels the way I did it.  Especially since I re-did the panals...

Once I learned to copy and paste in the correct way I had an easier time of it.  Still once I have my grid set up I am able to just pluck down circles to craft roundels later.  Not too shabby.

phillshaw

This is a great console room. I particularly love the McGann console and its such a pity that it didn't get more airtime :( anyway, wonderful work, would be good to see photo renders!
Cheers,
Phil
Peter Cushing + the McGann console room = recipe for success!

timegalaxy5

i really love these consoles, your rooms that you have done are very cool. If i could just have enough time and self disciplin to make the room. I love how you mixed up a bunch of ideas together, like the wooden console mixed with the TV movie pillars and just everything else. just WOW WOW WOW is all i can say.

timegalaxy5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

handofomega

Well if you like that then you will like what I am going to post in a week or so.   Been working up a design based on the season 14 secondary console room.  Saw that someone on Second Life created a design and it really moved me creatively so I have been playing around with it and tweaking it for a while now.  I am forcing myself to wait because I have posted SO many consoles and room that I haven't finished 100%.  I just want to have one that actually IS finished, LOL. 

Of course I will say that I have several "work-in-progress" things going on that I think I might post too.  I'll have to see how much room I have in photobucket to upload stuff.   ;D

timegalaxy5

oh cool, take all the time you need, i myself know how hard it is to get a tardis in sketchup to be just exactly how you want it, so i understand completly. i am looking forward to seeing this new console/room that you are working on. with what you have done in the past this should be very awesome.  ;D ;D

timegalaxy5
--------------------------TIMEGALAXY5------------------------

handofomega

This is what I have been spending my time doing in Sketch-Up lately though... 

I wanted to bring in elements of some of my past work, some of the different console rooms that inspired me and some Victorian/Steampunky goodness.  Enjoy

This shot shows the 1996 movie console gantry I used.  Still needs some work

McKinstrySanctuary_zps4f2fe947.jpg

An above shot looking down.  You can see my console from the Wooden Primary console room with some vaguely familiar looking side control panals.  The goal is to have the entire gantry set to be THE CONSOLE

McKinstrySanctuary0_zps013b9a80.jpg

Entering the console area

McKinstrySanctuary1_zpsbfde2ccd.jpg

shot of the left side set of side controls

McKinstrySanctuary2_zpsc771e442.jpg

side panel #1

McKinstrySanctuary4_zps759d035f.jpg

side panel #2

McKinstrySanctuary3_zps0efef5bc.jpg

long shot of panels showing ship's telegraph in the background

McKinstrySanctuary5_zps5b397434.jpg

shot of the back side set of side controls

McKinstrySanctuary6_zps2b3c6468.jpg

Panel #3

McKinstrySanctuary9_zpse7bff348.jpg

Panel #4

McKinstrySanctuary7_zps76a36f7f.jpg

close up of panel #4

McKinstrySanctuary8_zps5db5128c.jpg

Sonic

McKinstrySanctuary10_zpscf0f6349.jpg

Ship's wheel in background beside panel #4

McKinstrySanctuary11_zpsd729aa51.jpg

Overhead monitors

McKinstrySanctuary12_zps2ddb8fa7.jpg

shot of the right side set of side controls

McKinstrySanctuary13_zps1c2451fc.jpg

Panel #5

McKinstrySanctuary15_zps2033f522.jpg

Panel #6

McKinstrySanctuary14_zps6d8539e7.jpg

Longshot of panels 5 & 6 with floor brake in the background

McKinstrySanctuary16_zps012f2ea3.jpg

Shot of gantry console area

McKinstrySanctuary17_zpsca1d63a8.jpg

expendable

Such beautiful panels! I like the railing you have with the side consoles. I also enjoy the ship's wheel and telegraph! Your time rotor's first rate!

superrichi1a

I remember enjoying the progress of this thread some time ago - great to see it back!
Those last few shots totally blew me away. That console looks incredible, it really does, I actually wish I could just move in ::) How are you so good at using Sketchup?!?!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?