News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 TARDIS Interior

Started by vortex maker, Sep 30, 2014, 02:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex maker

Sep 30, 2014, 02:07 am Last Edit: Oct 21, 2014, 03:30 am by vortex maker
Hello, Everyone.

For the last couple of months, I've been working on the 2005 reboot console room. I was posting all of the updates here.

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?343746-2005-TARDIS-Interior

But I decided that you guys might like to see this so here are some images and video's.

I was having trouble with uploading the images so I'm just going to embed the video's that I've done with it, and a picture or two.
062.jpg
065.png

Everything made inside of Blender (except for textures).

galacticprobe

Sep 30, 2014, 06:12 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 30, 2014, 06:13 am by galacticprobe
Hey, vortex maker! Nice virtual creation there. This one is tied with the original Hartnell for my all-time favorite console and room. And check out my post here: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5617.msg66621#msg66621. It might help you out with the problems you're having posting photos or images.

And keep up the great work!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

vortex maker

Thanks, Galacticprobe, I'll try that next time.

I never realized that this was tied to the Hartnell console, is there a thread or post here that shows the similarities?

Hopefully I can get back to work on it, I recently have had trouble staying motivated enough to work on it.

Mark

Hi Vortex Maker, nice work. Hats off to folks like you that can do cool things with Blender - I really think I should start and learn.

I think Dino meant "tied with the first Doctors console" as far as his favourite console rooms go  rather than the 11th's being connected to the 1st's in some way.

Look forward to future updates.

vortex maker

Thank you. Blender is cool software. It has it's problems, but It has a decent raytracing renderer built in, and does some physics stuff, for example smoke and cloth. They aren't the best though.

It makes a bit more sense for him to be talking about favorite.

Also, good news,

I got permission from richsc21 to use this TARDIS screen:

I'll hopefully make an animation with it soon.

galacticprobe

Oct 01, 2014, 04:12 am #5 Last Edit: Oct 01, 2014, 04:24 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: Mark on Sep 30, 2014, 08:00 pm
I think Dino meant "tied with the first Doctors console" as far as his favourite console rooms go rather than the 11th's being connected to the 1st's in some way.

Thanks for helping clarify that for me, Mark. It's exactly what I meant. If I was to rank consoles in order of my favorites:

1. Seasons 1-6 (mainly Hartnell, 1963)/2005 console - dead tie;
2. Season 14 little Wooden Console/1996 TVM Console (again, dead tie);
3. Seasons 8-12 Console (still lots of levers and knobbies and lights to play with);
4. 2010 Matt Smith Console (all those LEDs under the perspex panels, lots of levers, and who can resist a "Wibbly Lever!"?);
5. Seasons 15-20 Console (not many levers, but still interesting knobbies);
6. The Junk Console (it's those knobbies and crank handles/wheel, and the throwback look to Classic consoles);
7. 2013 Console (still on the fence with this one, but it does have lots of levers and that odd telepathic glowy panel);
8. Seasons 21-26 Console (never was a fan of this one; way too cluttered with buttons, and only one lever for the doors).

Anyway, adjusting Drift Compensators to get us back on course - erm - topic...

That is a really cool video for the console's monitor! I've seen it on Youtube; it shows the moving Gallifreyan symbols for a minute or so, then switches to a Gallifreyan-number "countdown" inside that large hexagon for a bit, and then switches back to the moving symbols again to finish up. That will be great once you set your video player to loop it! Great find! (I guess one would have to go to that page and contact richsc21 to ask him for a copy of it. Guess where I'm heading after I'm done checking the Boards?! ;D)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

expendable

Nice room! Are you using clear polycarbonate panels for the flooring or a metal grid? I like the geometry of the support beams!

vortex maker

@galacticprobe
If you contact him and ask to use it, I'm sure he'll be happy to let you. He just gets annoyed when people take it without asking him, which apparently happens pretty frequently. Hopefully I can do something with it in the next week or so, I'm currently working on the foam material for the pillars. I just can't seem to find anything that fits.

@expendable
Thanks,

I'm not sure what you mean by clear polycarbonate panels, but what I can tell you is that the grates aren't actually in existance. I just used textures to make parts of them transparent to save on viewing speeds and render times.

Since you show interest in the pillars, I can post some wireframes of them if you would like.

vortex maker

Back to work on this. I'm finally motivated enough.

I've just added a few small details, but it's the small details that make the model believable.

I added the lights on the grate that sits on the pillar
067.jpg

I added the handrails by the entrance
066.jpg

And finaly the moving part of the time rotor (note: the colors are only to help tell the difference between one part and another)
068.jpg

And the thing I did was get rid of the materials. I don't think I was happy with them at any point. They where just place holders.

I hope you guys like it.

galacticprobe

Oct 03, 2014, 07:14 am #9 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2014, 07:25 am by galacticprobe
That's looking really great so far. Just a few tweaks needed...
CatwalkLights.jpg
The light sets on the edge of the catwalk are in groups of 3 rather than 4;

ColumnInnards(below).jpg
And I know this isn't the greatest image of the column's innards, but it does show how the tubes are arranged. There are six, and notice that they alternate in size - narrow, wide, narrow, wide - around the inside. This is so there's a "three inside and three outside" pattern on both top and bottom halves (if you know what I mean; and that white "dot" near the center is a cable anchor for the wire that connected the lower half to the motor in the top). It's hard for me to put things into words about those tubes at this hour, and unfortunately I don't have a good graphics program on this particular computer to draw out what I'm trying to say. Hopefully the column's image shows it clearly enough.

Other than that, this is turning out to be one beautiful piece of artwork! (When you're finished with it, I'll find a way of getting it 3-D printed so I can live in it!)

Dino.

vortex maker

Thanks, I'll get to work on fixing that soon. Luckily I made most of those changes in a few minutes. The other thing that I remembered when I looked an those pictures was the fins on the side of the time rotor, and the disks inside of it.

And, of coarse, there are more wires hanging down, and more on the floor.

I think the first image will be really helpful. It shows me that my catwalk is in the wrong place, and gives me some good reference for making materials.

TheWitch

Oct 03, 2014, 09:45 pm #11 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2014, 01:42 pm by Tom_J
Something a bit like this.

rotorlower.jpg

which when finished results to a smoother looking :

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y387/thomas1843/rotors_zps183f421e.gif?t=1412373673

galacticprobe

Oct 04, 2014, 05:12 am #12 Last Edit: Oct 04, 2014, 05:13 am by galacticprobe
I just saw your animated image, Tom, and between that and the image you posted above you've got it bang on! Nicely done, and a very smooth animation as well.

Dino.

TheWitch

Hi Dino,

Might need to make the animation a bit faster! as the rotors move at a faster rate.
was working on the 2005 interior couple months back and stopped. Was nice to revisit an old project and give it some animation.

- Tom_J

vortex maker

Thanks Tom_J. This is exactly the kind of critique I needed. The other forum can help me achieve photorealism, but TARDIS Builders is better for getting accurate models.