Apr 20, 2024, 12:36 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Space-Time Visualiser

Started by davidnagel, Sep 21, 2014, 11:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Sep 21, 2014, 11:17 pm Last Edit: Oct 04, 2014, 04:18 pm by davidnagel
I had a look around and couldn't find any pages on this prop, so here's one by me!

In its one time only appearance this prop "The Space Time Visualiser" gave us an insight into Earth history and predated MTV.  Here are a few snaps of it from that opening episode:

017.JPG

the-chase-space-visualizer.jpg

TimeSpaceVisualiser.jpg

wpid-photo-mar-12-2013-907-pm.jpg

And finally an image lifted from Tony's thread:

The_Chase.jpg
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Sep 22, 2014, 05:30 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 22, 2014, 05:52 am by galacticprobe
Nice images! Here; sharpened and lightened a little:
the-chase-space-visualizer.jpg
The labels for those little dials around the screen are - starting on the left side of that odd slot at the bottom and working clockwise:
JUPITER
SATURN

MERCURY(?)
MARS
URANUS

EARTH(?)
VENUS
PLUTO

The bold planets are the ones we can plainly see. The two with the ? next to them are hidden - one completely by Vicky's head, and the other mostly by Ian's. However, judging by the size of the names in the other photos, and the fact that the one by Ians' head is the shorter of the two, and has enough of it showing that it looks like "EARTH" (which is why it's bold even though I've got that ? next to it), the only one left is "Mercury", so that's got to be the one Vicky's head is hiding. (And it makes you wonder what's happened to NEPTUNE, and why they missed that planet out when building this thing.)

It's a nice prop, but as cumbersome as the Mechanoids in the following story, which is why we probably only get to see this prop once. And looking at the size of it compared to the TARDIS doors (both interior and the mains), it makes one think that maybe the Doctor materialized the TARDIS around this thing because it's clearly too tall for the doorways!

However, with the way that Seal of the High Council made a comeback in "The Time of the Doctor", having last been seen in "The Five Doctors", maybe at some point this one will rear its head in some episode.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

davidnagel

Aug 21, 2018, 12:41 pm #2 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2019, 04:20 pm by davidnagel
I think you mgiht be right there Dino.

Clayton Hickman, friend to many, has produced this graphic he released on his Twitter, of the STV. I'm including it here for prosperity and as potential reference material for builds.

flat,900x900,070,f.u1.jpg
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Aug 22, 2018, 04:15 am #3 Last Edit: Aug 22, 2018, 04:25 am by galacticprobe
Wow! Thanks, David! (And Clayton Hickman!) I've PMed with Clayton a few times on things other than 'Doctor Who' and he seems a really friendly bloke. I like to consider him a friend as well, and hope the feeling is mutual, but I also don't want to be presumptuous. (And I haven't chatted with him in a while now. :-[ I really need to better my communication-keeping habits. :P) But then I like to think I've got a friend in every TARDIS Builders member; it's that "TARDIS Builders Family" mentality I've got.

Anyway, if Clayton is right with his labeling, and I'm sure he is considering his background, then Neptune is the planet that Vicki's head it hiding, and Mercury is the planet that was missed out... something that didn't occur to me when I made my previous post on this. (I won't bother editing that post since yours clears up the labeling issue so well.)

So clockwise from the left of that slot on the bottom, the dials are:

JUPITER
SATURN
NEPTUNE
MARS
URANUS
EARTH
VENUS
PLUTO

and no Mercury. (Maybe there were no settlements on that planet... ever... so whoever built the STV didn't feel it was necessary to include that planet with all the others?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

warmcanofcoke

The Dalek Pocketbook and Space-travelers guide Terry Nation 1965

The Dalek Pocketbook and Space-travelers guide Terry Nation 1965 01.jpgThe Dalek Pocketbook and Space-travelers guide Terry Nation 1965 01.jpg
The Dalek Pocketbook and Space-travelers guide Terry Nation 1965 02.jpgThe Dalek Pocketbook and Space-travelers guide Terry Nation 1965 02.jpg
The Dalek Pocketbook and Space-travelers guide Terry Nation 1965 03.jpgThe Dalek Pocketbook and Space-travelers guide Terry Nation 1965 03.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.