Mar 29, 2024, 09:45 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

11/12 TARDIS Console Telepathy panel

Started by stanners45, Oct 10, 2014, 08:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

stanners45

Hi. I was wondering about possible ways of making the strange honeycomb substance on the console telethapy panel.image.jpg I am just going to experiment with different possible ways so if anyone has any ideas that would really help. Thanks. :)

galacticprobe

Oct 11, 2014, 04:20 am #1 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2014, 04:31 am by galacticprobe
I saw in one of those all-too-brief 'Doctor Who Insiders' they flash on BBC America during an episode, and one of the production guys (during Series 7b) made mention of it being a silicone rubber, and when he pulled up on a bit of it I thought it looked like the kind you find used on things like those squishy rubber balls and such toys.

My guess is they took a sheet of the stuff and did a little heating and moulding of that silicone rubber (it is rather thin and wiggly so it probably didn't take much heat to soften it enough to stretch bits of it out of shape to make those indents). Then they probably glued it to the back of that panel and placed the color-changing lights (high-brightness LEDs?) under each strip on the panel, because it looks like each row changes color at a different time than another - not always, but the rows don't always change color at the same time when the panel isn't being actively used.

Just my guess on how it was made, but at least that 'Insider' comment on what it's made of is on record.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

stanners45

Thanks Dino. That's a great insight on how it's done, though I don't know if it would be possible with the facilities available to me. However for anyone who is able to do this, I'm sure it would work very well. Once again, thanks for the input! ;D

galacticprobe

Oct 12, 2014, 04:33 am #3 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2014, 04:33 am by galacticprobe
You're quite welcome, stanners. I just wish I had more info to pass on this one. (I'm not crazy about the console, but that is a nice glowy panel, and it's no secret that I like glowy panels!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

stanners45

Call me Stanley. I should have put it on my introduction to the site really.