Apr 20, 2024, 04:12 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BioDoctor900's Sonic Lipstick

Started by BioDoctor900, Aug 17, 2014, 11:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BioDoctor900

Aug 17, 2014, 11:26 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2015, 04:47 pm by BioDoctor900
Hi Guys, well as you know my mates mum (although I class her as my mum too) is a Sarah Jane Cosplayer. She has a plastic Sonic Lipstick and for ages I said it would be far better if she had a proper one like the one on the show. After speaking to our friend, Peter Trott, (who is a fellow member on here, he owns the Blackpool TARDIS Console) he told me that the sonic lipstick they used in the show was an Estee Lauder Lipstick case. So I went on eBay and found the lipstick and bought it for £8

It's been sat around for ages waiting to be converted, but never got round to doing it. So I decided it was about bloody time to do it. So I emptied out the lipstick, ended up with hands covered in the stuff. After that was done I then tried to take apart her plastic one.....well that was unsuccessful, it seems CO have made it so that you cant get into the electronics unless you use a hammer.... so I left it and put in some new batteries. I then sat there pondering on how to take the proper case apart when I noticed a grove on the case, so I pulled it and hey presto it came apart. I cut a hole in the middle of the thing that goes up and down when you twist it for the wire to go through and then used an old jack from a guitar lead that had been in my TARDIS parts toolkit and took out the middle prong. This is for the emitter. I then glued it in place. That's as far as I've got so far. I've got to find someone with a spare sonic lipstick that I can take apart or buy the button, LED and emitter tip from eBay. I have a feeling It's not going to be able to have sound although a guy on youtube has made one....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k7fYsU9dvY
I'm not too sure on what he's used...

Case In Bits

P1150488.JPG

Case Together

P1150491.JPG

More Soon

BioDoctor900

the_prop_maniac

You know, not many people on this forum pay much attention to SJA. (this is a doctor who forum after all) but even so, the case looks like its really coming along! Good work.

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

Oblivion

Hampshire UK

kiwidoc

You might be surprised! The forum is big enough for the wider universe of Doctor Who, (Torchwood, SJA, K9+Company) if people are talking about props and things rather than storylines and characters.   And some of us might be fully grown adults but still own all of the SJA DVDs...   <walks off whistling innocently...>     :)

Interesting build, by the way, I didn't realise the sonic lipstick was based on a real-world item, that's quite neat. 

- Glen

Quote from: the_prop_maniac on Aug 18, 2014, 02:11 am
You know, not many people on this forum pay much attention to SJA. (this is a doctor who forum after all) but even so, the case looks like its really coming along! Good work.

- Tom

galacticprobe

Aug 18, 2014, 06:18 am #4 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2014, 06:26 am by galacticprobe
That video is very short, and it looks like he's placed the button in the bottom of the lipstick case. In the series, and on the CO version, the activation button is on the side. There is another video on Youtube where someone reviews the CO 'Doctor Who' et al items that come out. He does get a bit harsh with some of the products, but according to this review the CO sonic lipstick is pretty accurate, and for him to say that is something:

Yeah, the video is almost 10 minutes long, but the lipstick is reviewed in the beginning. After about the 5:35-minute mark or so he goes into Sarah Jane's communicator/scanner wrist watch (which comes with the sonic lipstick, when you can find it now), so you can just shut the video down after the lipstick part.

Anyway, I hope this helps you (and your "adopted" mum) feel a little better about the CO lipstick.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

BioDoctor900

*Hunts through episodes on laptop for good reference image* ;) Well as you can see in this pic...

Lipstick.png

She's holding the lipstick at the bottom, I originally thought that the button was on the base, but its the same as on the toy. The dimensions on the toy are different because of the electronics. This is the link to the lipstick if anyone is interested in making one...Hint, Hint Oblivion ;) theres a couple

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Estee-Lauder-Signature-Hydra-Lustre-Lipstick-Lush-Rose-06-Boxed-/271565692613?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_Up_Cosmetics_Lipstick_PP&hash=item3f3a939ec5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Estee-Lauder-BNIB-All-Day-Lipstick-In-Frosted-Apricot-/151380334729?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_Up_Cosmetics_Lipstick_PP&hash=item233ef89889

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Estee-Lauder-Lipstick-In-Shade-R74-Cafe-Latte-/131269496403?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Make_Up_Cosmetics_Lipstick_PP&hash=item1e90458e53

There are more, I just typed in 'Estee Lauder Lipstick' into eBay. This is what I used for the end, it fits in, and I glue gunned it in, you have to take the middle pin out, which is a bit fiddly...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-BNC-Female-To-RCA-Phono-Male-Connector-Adapter-Plug-For-CCTV-Camera-DVR-Cable-/181078854895?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item2a29240cef

Hope that helps and more soon

BioDoctor900

the_prop_maniac

Just out of plain curiousity, what episode is that reference picture from?

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

Oblivion

Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Aug 18, 2014, 09:29 amThis is the link to the lipstick if anyone is interested in making one...Hint, Hint Oblivion

;D I bought a lipstick last night, I'll be working on it later in the week when it arrives. I've already made the emitter stalk to match the original.   
Hampshire UK

BioDoctor900

Aug 18, 2014, 10:55 am #8 Last Edit: Aug 18, 2014, 10:58 am by BioDoctor900
It's from 'The Lost Sontaran' and damn you Oblivion, its already going to better than mine....:P  :-\ I'd Love to see what you've made though ;)

BioDoctor900

the_prop_maniac

Ahh, Bio, don't put yourself out, just because Oblivion's making one. I'm sure, whatever your one turns out to be, it will look great ;)

- Tom

Oblivion

Quote from: BioDoctor900 on Aug 18, 2014, 10:55 am
damn you Oblivion, its already going to better than mine....:P  :-\ I'd Love to see what you've made though ;)
BioDoctor900

No, it wont, and comparing individual attempts has never worked for me ;) Blimey, if I took the work that other builders have done and compared it to some of the rubbish I've made then I'd never build anything lol Every attempt has it's plus and minus points. If only you could see my attempt at a prop last week, it looks like something my four year old nephew would bring out of play school :-\
Hampshire UK

Oblivion

Anyway I wont have mine finished for months now, I've just this morning been called in for my full hand operation :o 
Hampshire UK

BioDoctor900

Oblivion

Brilliant, well done you  ;)
Hampshire UK

galacticprobe

Aug 21, 2014, 05:20 am #14 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2014, 05:21 am by galacticprobe
Yeah! What Oblivion said! (And coming from him that is some humongous praise, and well-deserved!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"