West Drayton Road Box

Started by hb88banzai, Aug 15, 2014, 08:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hb88banzai

Aug 15, 2014, 08:37 am Last Edit: Aug 15, 2014, 09:03 am by hb88banzai
Finally found the location of these iconic demolition photos --

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-(27Feb1970).jpg

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-(27Feb1970)-Closeup-MedRes.jpg

It's X50 off of West Drayton Road in Yiewsley as it was being demolished and removed on 27 February 1970.

The location indicated in the Met List must have been for its original location:  "Junction of West Drayton Road, north side and Colham Green Road on island in centre of roadway" - which should put it about here --

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-ProbableOriginalSiteStreetview.JPG

While the location in the 1970 photos are actually at "West Drayton Road (now Old Orchard Close), south side and Chapel Lane, west side on island in centre of parade parking area." Streetview of this final site --

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-FinalSiteStreetview.JPG

URL: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=West+Drayton+Road,+Yiewsley,+London+UK&hl=en&ll=51.520277,-0.454586&spn=0.000007,0.005171&sll=51.577883,-0.398834&sspn=0.004514,0.010546&hnear=W+Drayton+Rd,+Uxbridge,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=51.520348,-0.454677&panoid=g-TxOjSG1wK1mwKiRxz8GA&cbp=12,219.22,,0,4&z=18

The telephone pole and buildings in the background are still there.

An approximate POV shot of the original photo --

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-(27Feb1970)-ApproxPOV_Streetview.JPG

The 1935 OS map may, or may not, show the original Box Site --

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-OS_MapExtract-(1935-PossibleSite1).JPG

There is something shown at the Met List's description of the location, but it's hard to tell if it actually says "PCB", and being published the preceding year it may not have been there when they did final data collection for the map. Note, however, that many of the boxes brought on line in early 1936 were in fact installed in mid-to-late 1935, so it would not be impossible for it to show up in a 1935 map.

Fortunately, the 1966 OS Map clearly shows the Box's final location --

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-OS_MapExtract-(1966-Site2).JPG

Note the Metbox (PCB), GPO Telephone Kiosk (TCB), and GPO Letter Box (LB) all right next to each other in a line, precisely as shown in the photo.

petewilson

Aug 15, 2014, 03:54 pm #1 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2014, 03:59 pm by petewilson
Excellent banzai.....
Just to think I was born less than a mile away from this box...Fantastic deduction work there!!
One more  (or is that Two!) Photos to remove from "Unknown Box List"  :D

Mark

Good work on finding this one, with almost nothing to go on save a solitary house roof, a phone box and a partial pole!

I have seen the top picture a few times and it is only now that I have finally worked out what the object is that is laying against the side of the box. I thought it could be a wall section and all sorts.

It is actually the internal part of the telephone panel, along with the support for the desk and the first aid cubby. If you look you can make out what appears to be the oval plate in the top right corner that would have the Police Box's number on it.

If it had been a better resolution it might have saved you hours Banzai

hb88banzai

Aug 15, 2014, 11:43 pm #3 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2014, 12:25 am by hb88banzai
Yes, I recognized the cupboard guts a few months ago (the fire extinguisher bracket is a giveaway). Nice details there - wish we had a really clear photo.

On the closeup photo, zoom in a bit and you can see the reinforcing rod in the top roof step is exposed. Another nice detail. Here's a full res crop --

X50-WestDraytonRoad-RoofReinforcingRodDetail-FullRes.JPG

Oh, and take a close look at that top sign! It's a different typeface than all the other 1937-1970 top signs we've seen. All the ones since they changed to the sans-serif white letters on blue background were just slight variations of the same geometric typeface (eg, Crich's), but this one is quite different. Look at the endings on the "C"s, and the "O"S are oval instead of true circles - and variations in line width!

Here's a full res crop of the sign (thanks again dalekoracle)--

X50-WestDraytonRoad-SignDetail-FullRes.jpg

Hmmm - hadn't noticed before, but it looks like there is a weather strip or some such at the bottom of the main door. A blowup --

West_Drayton_Road_Box-X50-(27Feb1970)-DoorBlowup.JPG

Wow - you can make out that it looks to be an ETAS lock (they were rather distinctively blocky and sharp edged) and that unlike the later Mark 3's (eg, http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4378) if I'm reading the shadows and highlights correctly (again, wish it was better res) the door is constructed like the Mark 2's and the Trench plans - ie, it's got recessed panels inside as well rather than being flat faced. Hadn't noticed that before.

lorisarvendu

I can't see that this has been posted anywhere else, but my brother (knowing I'm a fan and thinking I would be amused by it)  sent me a link to the video on Facebook that these stills are from:

https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/572103229829378/

Their description is wrong, because it's obviously not 1957, although the programme is called "The Jolly Copper" (the title comes up after about a minute), plus all the kids have late 60s/early 70s hair.

Dalekoracle

No, the stills showing the demolition were taken at West Drayton Road.
The video you've linked to shows the demolition of the Wimbledon Chase - http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=3842.0

Mark

lorisarvendu

Ah.  OK.  Must be the same demolition team then because the guy in the hat with the sledgehammer is in the video and the stills.

petewilson

Yes Patrick Murphy and his son Declan were given the task to demolish  500 boxes over a 24 month period...one a day (apart from weekends and bank holidays)
By the time they got to this one (June 1970) they had it down to a tee..........   ;D

(Audio re-synced correctly)

https://youtu.be/zxGY08VHtJg

alexcutler

Quote from: hb88banzai on Aug 15, 2014, 11:43 pm...

Oh, and take a close look at that top sign! It's a different typeface than all the other 1937-1970 top signs we've seen. All the ones since they changed to the sans-serif white letters on blue background were just slight variations of the same geometric typeface (eg, Crich's), but this one is quite different. Look at the endings on the "C"s, and the "O"S are oval instead of true circles - and variations in line width!

Here's a full res crop of the sign (thanks again dalekoracle)--

X50-WestDraytonRoad-SignDetail-FullRes.jpg

Wow! Not noticed this detail before, the font seems much more modern and less eclectic than many of the other signs we have copies of.  The earlier signs clearly mixed two different fonts (noted by the "B" being distinctly different in the word "PUBLIC" compared to the word "BOX").  Where as this one is much cleaner and more consistent.  I think I would prefer it apart from part of the charm of the original sign is quite how "home-made" it is!! A trait that I always feel the Tv show took to heart ;-)