Apr 16, 2024, 11:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

TARDIS Console Rebuild (Phase 2 WIP)

Started by The14thDr, Aug 13, 2014, 02:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Wow! I disappear for a few weeks to have a baby and I come back to The14thDr's completed console - just wow! Nicely done sir, big round of applause to you. She's looking grand.

I look forward to further updates of added plinth and central column (I have never believed its called the time rotor).
Regards
David

The14thDr

Thanks David! I've been throwing around a couple more ideas for the central column/time rotor, but as far as a plinth goes I think I'm a long way off (I still haven't decided which design to go with). At the moment our dining table is the plinth, and for the rest of the time the Old Girl just lies on the floor. The options for the plinth have been narrowed down to an original-series one (similar to the Hartnell/Troughton console or the 4th Doctor's console) and a Five Doctor's style one. What do you all think?

Kind regards, The14thDr :D
"Would you like a jelly baby?"

childofgallifrey

Apr 24, 2015, 04:53 pm #62 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2015, 04:54 pm by childofgallifrey
I personally never liked the five doctors one, don't know why... I just don't like the slant of it, I prefer the Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee plinth, maybe crossed with the 2010 shape plinth? (again, never like the coral effect) but that's just me.
Sad really, isn't it? People spend all their time making nice things, and other people come along and break them.~The 2nd Doctor

The14thDr

Throughout the past two or three posts, I've mentioned a panel 4 refurb on multiple occasions, but it just occurred to me that I've never actually uploaded any designs for the new panel. So, using a 3D model of my console that I built on Google SketchUp, I made the new controls in order to test their sizes and proportions.
panel_4_rebuild (1).jpg
On the left of the panel we have my space-time throttle (which I finished in a previous post) and on the right there is a brand spanking new demat lever. In the centre I've designed an autopilot control panel that will be adorned with various toggle switches and knobs.
I actually cut a few pieces for the demat lever out of hardboard this afternoon, but the battery in my camera is dead so I'll save the photos for a future update.

The14thDr

Apr 26, 2015, 08:44 am #64 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015, 05:13 pm by The14thDr
Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos earlier on in the the build phase of my new demat lever, so here's where I'm at so far.
photo 3-2.JPG

If anyone's interested here's the template I made for the side of the lever, including measurements.
photo 4-2.JPG

The repairs on panel number 2 are coming to an end, as I managed to glue the new slider casing into position via a large tab on the back.
photo 1.JPG

My latest shipment of parts arrived last week: a pack of 6 LED touch lights. This one is going to sit in the centre of my time rotor, and eventually I hope to put an orange filter around the top.
photo 2-2.JPG
Tonight I'll try to upload some shots of the glowing time rotor in action.

EDIT: As promised, here's a photograph of the time rotor at night.
image.jpg

galacticprobe

Apr 28, 2015, 06:22 am #65 Last Edit: Apr 28, 2015, 06:23 am by galacticprobe
image.jpg
The necks! The necks! Go easy on our necks and make sure those photos are right-side-up, man! ;D (Especially mine; with the vertigo if I tilt my head that far to the left to look at anything my head could end up spinning like a fun faire vomitron ride for a week or more!)

Love that column glow, by the way!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

Apr 29, 2015, 06:24 am #66 Last Edit: Apr 29, 2015, 05:14 pm by The14thDr
Thanks Dino. I checked all the images after I'd posted them, ad I swear that last one was the right way round! :) ;D

EDIT: I rotated the last image and re-uploaded it.

The14thDr

May 04, 2015, 08:31 am #67 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 08:38 am by The14thDr
I've finally finished the time rotor! I painted those tin foil tubes on Saturday and wrapped a strip of silver cardboard around the base of each one. Then I attached the warm white LED lights that I bought last Sunday onto the completed rotor.
photo 1.JPG
image.jpg
photo 3.JPG

There are still a couple of improvements that need to be made but for the most part the time rotor is now complete.

galacticprobe

May 04, 2015, 03:38 pm #68 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:38 pm by galacticprobe
That certainly looks nice. Those lights make so much of a difference. Are they on all the time, or only when the TARDIS is "in flight"? (Either way, she still looks really cool!)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

The14thDr

I keep them on all the time (or at least when I'm using the TARDIS) and eventually I may add some flashing LEDs for when the TARDIS is in flight.

The14thDr

May 08, 2015, 02:20 pm #70 Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:22 pm by The14thDr
I've posted this video in the gallery for this console, but I thought I'd post a link here, too. Throughout the video there are slight glimpses of the upgrades I have been making to the console over the past few weeks, as documented on this very page. You can see the new time rotor in action, as well as the demat lever I have been working on recently. There is also a quick demonstration of the removable slider box during the first half of the video, and for fans of old and new I've hidden 6 objects from the Doctor's past and future around the edge of the time rotor.

The14thDr

May 11, 2015, 04:07 pm #71 Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:21 pm by The14thDr
Unfortunately I forgot to take any photos in the build process of the demat levers arm section, so here's where I got to yesterday.
image.jpg
I finished cutting all the hardboard rectangles and sanded each one down so that they would all fit snugly together on the body of the lever. I decided not to paint the housing simply because I liked the natural look of the plain hardboard.
In this next photo you can see the inside of the housing, and how I put it all together. Basically, there's just a small length of dowel running through the centre of it all, and the small square of hardboard that sits in front of the arm prevents the lever from drifting along the dowel when it is pulled up or down.
image.jpg
I used the same type of system for the inside of the throttle lever to stop it from pulling out of the panel every time I use it.
image.jpg

And now for the main event! This morning I spent half an hour removing the old demat lever and replacing it with the new controls. I started by unscrewing the two missile cover toggle switches and then prying the lever from the panel. Then I used some acrylic craft glue to add the new controls.

Before:
image.jpg

During:
image.jpg

After:
image.jpg
image.jpg

And before I go I'll leave you all with a nice shot of the console's first four panels.
image.jpg

galacticprobe

May 12, 2015, 04:31 am #72 Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:31 am by galacticprobe
Not a bad look at all. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for the rest of the Demat Lever panel.

Dino.

The14thDr

May 13, 2015, 06:18 am #73 Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:35 am by The14thDr
Thanks for the kind words Dino. I think you'll enjoy what's going to be added to the panel. In fact, I'll be printing off the graphics today.

In other news, I took the old helmic regulator wheel that I'd taken from panel 1 and removed the dowel from inside it. Then, I found a party straw and trimmed it down so that it was the same height as my rotary switch on panel 6. After that I used some of my trusty acrylic craft glue to stick the straw to the centre of the helmic regulator wheel.
To make sure that the straw wasn't going to break off any time soon (like it did the previous 2 times I tried this), I used some PVA glue and kitchen towel to build up a few layers of paper mache around the straw to hold it securely in place.
image.jpg

Then I simply pushed the helmic regulator onto the switch.
image.jpg

Here's a short video of the helmic regulator in action.

The14thDr

May 20, 2015, 06:09 am #74 Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 06:20 am by The14thDr
I finally got the graphics and symbols printed for my console!
image.jpg
Well, most of them are for the console, but some of them I'll be using for various other non-Doctor Who related projects (the eagle-eyed amongst you will notice Iron Man's arc reactor and Spider-Man's web shooter).
However, I must give credit where credit is due. The black shapes with the white lines and labels were created by our very own kiwidoc for his amazing 2005 console build. He kindly sent these to me via email and I modified them slightly and changed the labels a bit for my console. The pink Platform One ticket I downloaded from TheRPF, and all the meters and gauges I found on a Google search.

And here's where I used those little symbols. I cut each rectangle out individually and glued them onto some previously-assembled hexagon shapes. (Fun Fact: These symbols were actually made by the doctor who 2 on his fantastically-detailed Time Rotor thread).
image.jpg
And then I wrapped a strip of cardboard around each of the tubes on my time rotor, before gluing these to the inside of the hexagons.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I had originally hoped to cut the hardboard control panel for the mixdle of panel 4 this week, but up to now the weather has stopped me from doing so. Fingers crossed the rain will hold off until this evening.