Jul 23, 2024, 06:04 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Matt's Replica Crich-Style Police Box

Started by matt sanders, Aug 03, 2014, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

matt sanders

At the moment the walls are just held temporarily with screws, but I'll be attaching vertical battens to the columns, to fit into the slots in the sides of each wall.  Stay tuned!

By the way, the door lock is something I haven't addressed yet, so if anyone has suggestions for how to get a suitable vintage lock...?  ;-)

matt sanders

May 16, 2020, 08:43 pm #601 Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:46 pm by matt sanders
Ok, I'll come clean.  One of the reasons I've been blitzing the box this week, is to get it ready for a little filming project.  So, I've assembled whatever I could to look ok from the necessary directions, and added some quick placeholder signs for the Pull To Open door and St John Ambulance plaque.  (The frame of the PTO door is just foam board painted blue!)

Anyway, here are some shots, and tomorrow I'll tell you about the filming...

IMG_9934.jpegIMG_9937.jpegIMG_9943.jpegIMG_9944.jpegIMG_9948.jpegIMG_9949.jpegIMG_9957.jpegIMG_9958.jpeg

cobalt

I love the worn paint on the handles, like the blue has been rubbed away from the brass by repeated use. That's a real nice touch. Especially since it's a resin casting.

Davros Skaro

Isn't the door handle a bit low on the main door?

Chris.
Chris.

russellsuthern

You tease! ;D

This just keeps getting better & better!
Can't wait to see the lamp on top!

Russ

matt sanders

Quote from: Davros Skaro on May 17, 2020, 01:28 am

Chris.

Well that's where it is on the Crich box, so I copied that.  (As the box has a 6" tall base, that's the height that feels comfortable.)

But I agree if feels a bit weird when we're used to seeing it higher, so I'll check other reference photos, and if there are precedents for having it higher I'll do that.

While my box is mainly based on measurements of the Crich one, there are a few places where I've varied, because I prefer features of other boxes.  For instance I went with the blue glass panes (Crich is all clear panes), and my door has recessed panels, instead of the flat Crich version. 

Also, on the non-opening windows at Crich (on the door, and the wall beside it) the outer frame is only 1/4" wide, which I thought looked ugly, when the window bars are 5/8".  On other boxes the outer frame is clearly wider (1/2"), so I did that instead.

fivefingeredstyre

Blimey for a moment there I thought you'd finished it. That looks absolutely spot on, mate. You should be proud.

So... Filming..?  ???

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: matt sanders on May 17, 2020, 07:52 am
Quote from: Davros Skaro on May 17, 2020, 01:28 am
Chris.

Well that's where it is on the Crich box, so I copied that. 
But I agree if feels a bit weird when we're used to seeing it higher, so I'll check other reference photos, and if there are precedents for having it higher I'll do that.

I've always liked the pleasing visual symmetry of having the centre of the door handle in line with the centre of the PTO handle.
And, saying that, I now realise you haven't installed a lock yet - I'm going to have to go back through the thread to see where it is on the Crich box.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Volpone

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on May 17, 2020, 08:38 am
Blimey for a moment there I thought you'd finished it. That looks absolutely spot on, mate. You should be proud.

So... Filming..?  ???

He could park it in your backyard for some "Logopolis" shots. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

TG

So beautiful! Amazingly amazing build!

bjones

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Volpone on May 17, 2020, 01:55 pm
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on May 17, 2020, 08:38 am

So... Filming..?  ???

He could park it in your backyard for some "Logopolis" shots. 
im game!

Kingpin

C'est magnifique!

Are you planning to rig up the windows to open in the same fashion as the Crich box?

matt sanders

davidnagel

Not for that "Lockdown" video is it Matt?
Regards
David