Apr 23, 2024, 08:22 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Matt's Replica Crich-Style Police Box

Started by matt sanders, Aug 03, 2014, 10:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fivefingeredstyre

Matt, Glad to hear you're better...

Look forward to seeing the lamp progress :)

matt sanders

Well, I've made my Lamp, but it was so complicated that I've started a special thread for it, elsewhere in this section - see what you think!

matt sanders

My lamp is finished, so see the special thread nearby, for the low-down on that...

photo1418317120516.jpgphoto1418317079944.jpg

So - what shall I do next...?

Back in the summer, I started making the moulds for the corner columns, but that will require large-scale fibreglass work, and it's too cold outside to do that at the moment...

So - something that will fit on the kitchen table...

How about Windows.....?   ;)

galacticprobe

Jan 10, 2015, 05:17 am #63 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2015, 05:17 am by galacticprobe
Wow! Matt, that is one beautiful lens! It looks just like the ones we used to have on our ships for the anchor lights! The housing you made for it is equally as beautiful. That cap even looks like the cast iron the original Police Boxes had on theirs (at least from what you've said about the Crich box).

Smashing work!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

fivefingeredstyre

If you ever consider making limited runs of the lense, let me know! that is fantastic!

matt sanders

Thanks guys.

I suppose, having made these moulds, it would be a shame not to make some copies.  I'd probably get fed up if I did too many (the novelty wears off quickly!), but maybe half a dozen would be ok, if there was enough interest.  Half the work is assembling all the materials, and setting things up, so it's only economical if there's a little batch, rather than individual ones.

Actually, Styre, I love your Met Box, and it was one of the things that inspired me to make my own.  And this is the only one I can think of, where I've seen a hanging bulb inside casting window-shaped pools of light on the ground around it, which looks fab!  How ironic, that the 2005 box had windows lit by 32 light tubes (which were too short!), but a single hanging bulb does a much better job!

dibblydonuts

That really is a fantastic light ...I want one for my Tardis!

the_doctor

Well if you are making a wee 'run' of these, I think I'll be in!  ;)

Elvis Gump

That lens is so sweet! Everyone will want one!

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: matt sanders on Jan 10, 2015, 05:03 pm
Thanks guys.

I suppose, having made these moulds, it would be a shame not to make some copies.  I'd probably get fed up if I did too many (the novelty wears off quickly!), but maybe half a dozen would be ok, if there was enough interest.  Half the work is assembling all the materials, and setting things up, so it's only economical if there's a little batch, rather than individual ones.

Actually, Styre, I love your Met Box, and it was one of the things that inspired me to make my own.  And this is the only one I can think of, where I've seen a hanging bulb inside casting window-shaped pools of light on the ground around it, which looks fab!  How ironic, that the 2005 box had windows lit by 32 light tubes (which were too short!), but a single hanging bulb does a much better job!
thanks for the comments Matt, I'm following your progress keenly and I can't wait to see how this turns out. the amount of thought that has gone into this is amazing.

I know what you mean about the light, its ironic how the same effect as the 32 led tubes can be achieved with a the same single lamp they used in the original Police Boxes... Talk about over complicating things.... ???

Please count me in if you are planning a run on the lense, I suspect you are going to get inundated with requests, so making the numbers up shouldn't be a problem :D

Steve

matt sanders

And of course, on a real box, that single bulb would also illuminate the four lintel signs, and the telephone panel!

As for making duplicates, before we all get carried away, I'm not actually planning to make a batch.  But I am self-employed and sometimes have quiet patches, so never say never.

If anyone wants to talk about that, may be best to PM me...

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: matt sanders on Jan 11, 2015, 01:15 pm
And of course, on a real box, that single bulb would also illuminate the four lintel signs, and the telephone panel!

Actually, I'm fairly sure that the lamp bulb only lit the lamp. There was a second one dangling down to lintel height.

And none of the above bulbs could have illuminated the phone panel, cos the phone was boxed in, with a door on the back to access the phone from inside.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

fivefingeredstyre

I believe there was a transparent lense set into the top of the phone housing, which is where the panel would have been illuminated from...

Happy to be proved wrong on this though... :)

Rassilons Rod

Could be, but certainly I believe there were two bulbs in the top of the box :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Mark

Actually three bulbs - one in the roof lamp, one wired to the roof lamp and located on the corner post opposite the door and the third hanging dead center with the signs.

The interior one did indeed light up the phone panel sign via a glass lid on the phone cubby lid.

Anyway, enough of bulb talk - Sign me up for one if you make a batch, however I want a discount for having to look at your bum while holding the ladder Matt! lol  :P

Seriously though, I would love one so drop me a message if you decide to make a batch and I'll send payment in advance.