Apr 26, 2024, 08:41 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

8th Doctor Console

Started by oslm, Jul 23, 2014, 02:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the_prop_maniac

That looks splendid. Just remember not to have a timing malfunction. ( I hope someone gets that reference.)

- Tom
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

teejayy94

I love what you've done with the console. But the Time Rotor isn't its own light source, Light shines up through the bottom on the lower rotor and down through the top rotor. And the Time Rotor points are more syringe like...not subtle slope.

Any who really really enjoying the progress.

Keep it up dude.

Tom .

oslm

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the comments -- I have looked at the tips of the time rotor rods and I currently have them on a 45 degree angle -- I will look at changing the angle and seeing if I can get them more pointer -- As for the lighting of the rods, I am using 3DS Max with Vray 2.0 as my overall renderer --

I have the rods currently set as a vray light material (with a multiplier of 15) to give them that glow look -- I have tried putting standard vray lights at the top and bottom, but for some reason the program renders them out without any of the color from the lights showing -- (see attached image)

Rotor Test.jpg

I have tried changing the settings of the lights and I was getting nowhere  fast, so the vray light material option does work in a pinch -- Though, I do think I could turn down the multiplier to somewhere between 10 and 12 as any lower and I get this result --

Full Console Sunlight test 1.jpg

Later

teejayy94

Ooooh I see, Looks brilliant either way...I Didn't know how accurate you wanted it.

Thanks-

Tom .

Tempus Fugit

I adore this virtual build. It's incredible. The only things I'd change are the font on the Destination spinners (it would look better with Perpetua or something more akin to the original font) and the wood texture itself - it looks pretty washed out and more like milk chocolate than wood.

But this doesn't detract from the fact it's a superb piece of work.

DoctorWho8

The original font on the spinners is Time Bold or Times New Roman Bold.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

oslm

Thanks for all of the comments so far --  ;D

I had done the tumbler font in old bookman bold and then I found out that it was time bold so I will be changing it -- The material for the wood texture on the console is actually from the original console -- When I saw it two years ago, I took a few close up pictures of the console and I rebuilt the texture in photoshop -- As for the reason why the console looks washed out in some of the pics has to do with the lighting --

Vray in 3DS Max has a couple of different setups and I am trying out a Toon Render (when you see the black outlines) and Vray Sun which depending on the time frame it's set to can either make it too dark or very washed out -- In the final render shots (back and front full view posted two days ago) I rendered it out with standard Vray lights and with the Vray Toon set to it's minimum --

Once I make the last few small changes to the console, I will be doing a whole series of closeup shots of each panel --

Later

teejayy94

Oslm -

Will you be making the full interior? or just the console and metal girders?

Tom .

oslm

Hi Tom,

I haven't thought that far ahead at the moment -- The original plan was to do just the console, then I found in the reference section the details for the girders --

Once they are done, I will look at the individual sections of the interior (the door, library area, seat with record player, etc) -- If I can get good reference shots of those sections, I might give it a go --

Later

Oslm

oslm

It's closeup time -- I am going to post each panel on it's own so that you can see the details I have put into the model --

So we will start with the Power Distribution System Panel --

Panel 5 closeup.jpg

I ended up going back to the two lower plates and adding in the additional line details as well adding in the final lighting grid to the pieces -- I took the Vray Toon settings and turned down the line detail to 1.25 pixels so not to make it look to outlined --

Enjoy

Oslm

oslm

Next panel closeup is the Communications Panel --

Panel 4 closeup.jpg

Enjoy

Oslm

the_prop_maniac

This is certainly a great piece of work! Well done. By the way, may I ask what software you use?
"When I was a young man, I had liberty, but I did not see it. I had time, but I did not know it. And I had love, but I did not feel it. Many decades would pass before I understood the meaning of all three."

oslm

Thanks for your comment, I am currently using 3DS Max 2010 for the modelling and Photoshop Elements 6.0 to do the texture work --

Enjoy

the_prop_maniac

Ah. I just use Sketchup for my 3D modeling and texturing and then Kerkythea for my rendering and applying materials :)

expendable

I love the amount of detail you've managed to fit into this. You have some great textures! Is it possible for you to turn the numbers on the dial so they align base-down to the marks?