Apr 27, 2024, 03:39 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

First tier of Series 8 roof has changed height

Started by torran, Jul 11, 2014, 01:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

torran

Jul 11, 2014, 01:15 pm Last Edit: Jul 11, 2014, 01:21 pm by torran
Am I right in saying this? Somebody recently asked me for differences between the 7B and Series 8 box and I noticed the roof height looked different.
When having a quick look around, I noticed the first tier of the roof is taller than the second tier, where as on 7B this is the opposite.

See here for S7B roof: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mde2glF4uk1riclzeo5_1280.jpg
See here for S8 roof: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article7273559.ece/alternates/s2197/SJP_MAI_160614mine7756_01JPG.jpg

EDIT: The reason I believe it is taller is due to the fact that the cubes(?? I don't know the correct term for them) on each side of the roof are taller than they are wide, again, opposite on 7B.

DoctorWho8

Ah, so it has.  And those corner blocks we call corner post caps, at least in their shorter versions on pre-2005 boxes.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

davidnagel

Are we sure this isn't another one of those camera perspective/lens things again?

I recall an older thread about the tilt of the Tennant box and Smith box roofs looking steeper/lower. Is this the same case?
Regards
David

DoctorWho8

It looks like they flipped the measurements, so new tier one has the height of old tier 2 and new tier two has the height of old tier 1.
Bill "the Doctor" Rudloff

galacticprobe

Jul 12, 2014, 05:41 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 12, 2014, 05:54 am by galacticprobe
I think for reference purposes some visuals might help people better understand the differences in question:

Series7bRoof01.jpg
Series 7b TARDIS prop's roof at an almost straight-on view;

Series8Roof01.jpg
Series 8 roof, one view at a slightly downward angle;

Series8Roof02.jpg
Series 8 roof, another (difficult) angle, but the tiers seem to match those of the Series 8 prop above;

Series8Roof03.jpg
yet another angle of the Series 8 roof, or so it seems again by the tiers, keeping in mind that we're looking "up" at the roof this time, and not all of that top tier is visible from this angle;

Series8Roof04.jpg
and yet one more view of the Series 8 roof, from another slightly "looking up" angle.

(Reference links are good, but reference photos are better as photos stay on the Forum, whereas links can, do, and have gone west. And for large images as some of these were, the "crop" tool is your friend.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"