Apr 25, 2024, 05:47 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Rainy City TARDIS.

Started by throgmorton, Oct 15, 2007, 11:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

throgmorton

Oct 15, 2007, 11:48 pm Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:33 am by Scarfwearer
Heres some pics of the progress to date of my TARDIS.
As I mentioned previously this TARDIS I got off ebay.
The plans the guy was working to were the plans that are generally available and are considered to be some what inaccurate.

However it should make up to a nice Hartnell/Troughton box.

First pic off the ebay listing that I saw and put a bid on it.  :)
4124_3.jpg

The Clampits take over the TARDIS  ;D
DSC00003.jpg

Roof assembled rather chuffed not a lot of filling to do. Signs built and fitted (Credit here to my Brother Andrew!)
DSC00009.jpg

The Fresnel is what was supplied when I picked up the TARDIS from Yorkshire.
I intend to make another more in keeping with the box that it resembles.

I have done a bit of filling here and there and some sanding getting ready for the coats of primer.

I already have had the paint mixed specially.
I do hope its O. K. It looked alright when she had mixed it  ::)
In fact as the woman on the paint counter was interested in Dr Who and my TARDIS inparticular she gave me a discount on the paint! :P
I am having the signage made at a  local sign makers should pick them up middle of this week.
More pics as I progress
Chris E.

avadh

Oct 16, 2007, 12:04 am #1 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:01 am by scarfwearer
This looks amazing very much like the hartnell/troughton tardis. Great work so far keep it up.

Rassilons Rod

Oct 16, 2007, 03:41 am #2 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:01 am by scarfwearer
Thats great :)

Do you have a use for it as a scale box or do you want it just as the thing of beauty it is?

I've been considering building the 3 different boxes in a scaled size to put my who videos in, but haven't come to any firm plans just yet.

-Marc
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

throgmorton

Oct 16, 2007, 02:39 pm #3 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:02 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: rassilonsrod board=build thread=1192492111 post=1192506109Thats great :)

Do you have a use for it as a scale box or do you want it just as the thing of beauty it is?

I've been considering building the 3 different boxes in a scaled size to put my who videos in, but haven't come to any firm plans just yet.

-Marc

I just wanted a scale TARDIS to add to my collection.
I would like  a 'full size one' as well but space is at a premium at home.
Wife not to impressed either divorce imminent lol.
Its a good idea to use the scale boxes as DVD cabinets.
Of course there are the ones you can buy but its  cheaper and a lot more fun to build your own.
Chris E

chrisrowand

Oct 16, 2007, 04:30 pm #4 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:02 am by scarfwearer
This looks great Throgmortron. Reminds me of my little box when I made her. Ah building was much simpler then, before I moved into full size. Anyway congratulations, she will be great when finished.
Chris

atomicgraph

Oct 17, 2007, 02:36 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:02 am by scarfwearer
your moving right along with this and it looks great!!! please more pics as you progress

throgmorton

Oct 17, 2007, 06:56 am #6 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:02 am by scarfwearer
Thank you for your kind comments though a lot of the credit has to go to the guy that I got it off originally.
He did do another one, that  TARDIS he finished (this one  I think was his prototype and any build problems he encountered with this one he adjusted with his 2nd build.
He did put his 2nd one on E bay at buy it now for £500! I dont think it sold though.

I will put more pics on as I go along.
At he moment its some filling and sanding and minor corrections then its the undercoat.
I should get my signs today from the sign makers.
Im getting charged £40. Thats for 4 Lintel signs and the phone box panel which I dont think is bad.
Chris E

throgmorton

Oct 22, 2007, 04:24 pm #7 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:03 am by scarfwearer
I didnt get the signage from sign makers last week its going to be this week they say.  ::)

Anyway I shall wait and see what happens this Tuesday.   :)

In the mean time I couldn't resist printing some signs off my self on the P.C. just to see what it would be like.

I know the colours and size of the signage 'aint right but I think it does look good.
It also goes to show dont rely on the colour temperature of photographs digital or otherwise as the 'signage' on my TARDIS is a lot darker than it apears on the these pic's

DSC00047.jpg
Chris E.

policeboxnut

Oct 22, 2007, 07:54 pm #8 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:03 am by scarfwearer
What is that font called on the signboxes??
'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

throgmorton

Oct 23, 2007, 12:27 am #9 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:03 am by scarfwearer
Quote from: policeboxnut board=build thread=1192492111 post=1193082852What is that font called on the signboxes??

Hi Police box nut, I'm sorry I dont know what the font is.
Some on here will know Im sure.
Chris E.

throgmorton

Oct 23, 2007, 09:31 pm #10 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:03 am by scarfwearer
Well, went to the signmakers today Tuesday.  :)
It gets to be like chinese whispers, I originally (last week) spoke to one bloke who said he could do the signs no problem.  :)

This week that bloke has now gone on Holiday to Florida!  :o
So I speak to other bloke who has the signs ready for me to pick up,  ;D
Problem,  ::) my instructions as to what I want hasnt reached the guy who made the signs  :'(  neither was it the guy I spoke to this afternoon that had made them  ::).

They were slightly to big to fit the boxes and this guy says I can easily sand them down to fit,  WHAT! I want them at the right size so they fit with out any 'trimming'  >:( I thought thats why I'm using a sign maker so I have to do nowt!

I also wanted them mounting behind clear perspex, white letters on a black background and not what they supplied with the letters stuck on to a black background with the lettering slightly proud.  ???
The signs do look O. K. on the pics.
The font I must admit looks spot on I shall ask him what it is.
I am expecting a phone call on Friday to tell me the new signs are ready and correct we wait and see.  ::)

(Yes it is a full size incomplete Dalek in the background of my over full garage) must clear it out (again!)

However here is  pic' of the sign I took and  filed to fit.
It did get  scratched while doing this hence made to measure required!
DSC00053.jpg
ChrisE

chrisrowand

Oct 25, 2007, 08:30 am #11 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:03 am by scarfwearer
Hi Throgmorton. Sign looks great. I have had similar problems with signmakers myself. They always want to supply the signs bigger than I ask. They are always  about 5mm too big. I have used different companies each time and they always manage to bugger something up. I mean how hard is is to cut to an actual specified sign. Thats their job!!

Your font is I am guessing Futura Bold.   

atomicgraph

Oct 25, 2007, 06:40 pm #12 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:04 am by scarfwearer
your sign looks great. i to had to make some minor adjustments to my signs they get cut to the wrong size because of the method they use. they have this cuter that they just slip the sign in and it "presses" down and cuts off a section of the board, most sign backing (that white acrylic) comes in 8 foot by 4 foot sheets and i can imagine that it can be very easy to mess them you can also use a band saw to trim them up. that dalek in the background looks pretty cool any chance he'll make an appearance some where on this board?

throgmorton

Oct 26, 2007, 12:18 am #13 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:04 am by scarfwearer
I could get Morris to make an appearance here but Im not sure its the right place.
Mod's any advice on this?
He is fairly well documented on the Dalek Builders Guild under 'Morris'.
Well is nice to know I'm not alone with my experience of the signmakers.
Chris E.

ThisJustinOnline

Oct 26, 2007, 01:02 am #14 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2010, 11:04 am by scarfwearer
My signmaker was pretty sweet...he was me :P