Apr 20, 2024, 12:37 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Glasgow's latest Police Box

Started by floppy hat, Jun 26, 2014, 07:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

floppy hat

Jun 26, 2014, 07:32 pm Last Edit: Jun 29, 2014, 11:11 am by hb88banzai
Installed today I believe, on London Road, just east of the city centre.IMG_3902.JPG

petewilson

Some Nice Photo's there.......
I wonder where this box this has been re-sited from?

Pete

hb88banzai

Jun 29, 2014, 11:29 am #10 Last Edit: Jun 29, 2014, 11:48 am by hb88banzai
Very cool.

This Box is in a new park area converted from what was a fairly densely built up urban block back in the day - in fact it appears to be next to where a pub used to stand. It's on the north side of London Road and looks to be just a little west of midway between James Morrison Street on the west and Moir Street on the east.

The park area looks much nicer than even the 2012 streetview, which still had some of the older buildings in place, including a "Surround Boutique" about where the Box currently is --

NewGlasgowBox-LondonRoad-Streetview.JPG

As you can see, the whole area was fenced off and the area behind the fences looked pretty wild and unkempt.

The closest Box in the Glasgow List and the OS Maps was a couple blocks east at the point of an island at the junction of London Road and Monteith Row (barely out of view in the above overhead google earth image, just below where London Road goes off the bottom edge), which was A8 - http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5286.0, but that Box was removed in 1971, so this is a new site altogether. Still very nice to see, however.

Fardels Bear

Spooky! We were on holiday in Glasgow last week, and we saw it on Thursday, but it didn't have the "Police" signs on it. The one in Buchanan Street looked a bit worse for wear as well!
"Does he still have that rubbish beard?"

Teppic

Quote from: petewilson on Jun 26, 2014, 07:53 pm

Pete

I wouldn't mind betting that it's the original Wison Street box.

petewilson

New Signs (Hence the tape securing them?)
You can still see some of the original Red colour on the windows as well......  ???

floppy hat

Quote from: teppic on Jun 30, 2014, 06:46 pm
Quote from: petewilson on Jun 26, 2014, 07:53 pm

Pete

I wouldn't mind betting that it's the original Wison Street box.

I think it probably is. You can see where the white plaque/sign used to be on the panel underneath the phone door. Also, a nick on the roof's left-hand side seems to match.

Nice to see it back after all these years.

I just wish they'd repair the current Wilson Street box's poor door.