News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Radio Control help???

Started by fivefingeredstyre, Jun 15, 2014, 11:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fivefingeredstyre

Jun 15, 2014, 11:14 am Last Edit: Jul 03, 2019, 04:16 am by warmcanofcoke
Hi all,

After a long delay I'm planning on returning to my K9 build. He currently looks like this:

IMG_0896_zpscd95e5d8.jpg

My aim is for him to be fully radio controlled; however this is where i've reached a stumbling block... I know next to nothing about RC systems, and what would be involved in animating my K9.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good online resource or tutorial?

Thanks

Steve

galacticprobe

Jun 16, 2014, 03:09 am #1 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2014, 03:09 am by galacticprobe
Wow! He looks magnificent! You did a fantastic job here and should certainly be proud of these results. I'm nothing when it comes to RC installations of this magnitude (main movement - forward/backward/turn left/turn right, ears waggling, head up/down, tail - up/down/side-to-side, extend/retract antenna/nose laser, and anything else I can't think of at the moment).

There are a lot of channels to this one; that I do know. For on-line resources or tutorials? ??? I'd say check out either WhoProps (link in one of the tabs immediately above this thread on the right side) or the RPF for starters. If that doesn't work, and no one else here can help you out (which I can't imagine; we've got some seriously talented minds among us), then I'd suggest searching for some on-line RC Clubs/Forums sites and post your request on one of them. I've seen some of those guys build really complex things like 'battle bots' with all sorts of things that pop out, spin, swing, etc. To them setting up a "fully functioning" K-9 should be a breeze.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

timewomble

That is a seriously nice build. I'm jealous.

An alternative to RC would be computer control. Put in a Raspberry Pi and some voice control software (e.g. http://www.raspberrypi.org/tag/voice-control/). The Pi has some GPIO pins but you could always have it control an Arduino board over USB if you need more.

Dino: There's also paper tape printing?

- Peter.

galacticprobe

Jun 17, 2014, 04:09 am #3 Last Edit: Jun 17, 2014, 04:10 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: timewomble on Jun 16, 2014, 01:53 pm
Dino: There's also paper tape printing?

Well, I did say "...and anything else I can't think of at the moment". Try as I may, I can't keep every detail locked in my head! ;) :D

That's why I suggested WhoProps and the RPF for a start. I know there are some great K-9 builds there - especially on the RPF - and the RPF also has some serious RC-types there that can offer far more suggestions on how to RC outfit a K-9 replica.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"