Apr 27, 2024, 12:57 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Russell's TARDIS

Started by russellsuthern, Jun 15, 2014, 09:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

superrichi1a

I must apologise Russell in that I haven't kept up with this thread recently, in fact I haven't had much time to be very active on here at all in recent weeks. Logged on properly again this morning and just gave all the stuff I've missed on this thread a good nose at, so excited by the progress you've made! It's coming along fantastically, once again I reiterate that I'm astounded how you making this on budget and yet it has me drooling where I sit :o That pebbled glass effect I think I was interested by last time I posted looks literally brilliant! I was in a friends house recently and he has almost a WHOLE BLOODY UTILITY ROOM CONSERVATORY made out of pebbled glass. A WHOLE ONE. Could maybe do 50 builds, maybe more. Some people have all the luck...
Anyway keep up the good work, the black door sign is also starting to sit more closely to me heart to, I used to think by definition it looked "wrong" on the original prop but now I'm really starting to understand your attraction to it. Of course on the original it just looked like a dirty over gloss cheap sign, and on yours it actually looks like a high quality telephone hatch, so that has something to do with it I reckon.
Merry Christmas :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Dec 13, 2014, 05:22 pm #76 Last Edit: Jan 17, 2015, 04:55 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: superrichi1a on Dec 13, 2014, 11:09 am
I was in a friends house recently and he has almost a WHOLE BLOODY UTILITY ROOM CONSERVATORY made out of pebbled glass. A WHOLE ONE. Could maybe do 50 builds, maybe more. Some people have all the luck...

Ask your friend if he'll let you put a small "cofferdam" on a section of his pebbled glass so you can pour a silicone mould of the glass. Then you could build a small box around the mould and cast as many pieces of pebbled glass as you need using clear resin. (And if you make the mould large enough you could cast pebbled glass panes for both Classic and New Series TARDIS windows!)

Just a thought.

And, Russell, your Old Girl is coming along magnificently! Love that phone!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

022.JPG

Wishing a happy & peaceful Christmas & a productive New Year to all at Tardis builders.
Had a ball since joining the site, you've all been so welcoming & encouraging, especially superrich1a, Dino & 888Banzai. Thank you all!
Looking forward to completing the old girl some time in the new year- (although I'm not saying WHICH new year!!!)

006.JPG

Best wishes,

Russell

superrichi1a

To you to! Been great having you on the site with your builds, this in particular is one of those build diaries that's really gripping, inspirational, and, best of all, what you really want from a build diary, makes you think "WHY doesn't MINE look that good?" ;)

Since our respective build diaries seem to often share a theme of a photo bombing Dalek, I see no reason to break that trend, though in this instance I thought Dalek Clarkson, rather than May, would like to make an appearance. He doesn't get so many opportunities to sneak into shot you see, what with living in the back room and not the garage.

christrmas dalek.JPG

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2014, 08:46 pm #79 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014, 08:46 pm by galacticprobe
What Richard said! (But you're not leaving the Forum, Russell, are you? It didn't sound like it, but what Richard posted makes it sound like you are. If you are, please don't! And if you're not, please disregard my last - except for the Holiday wishes, that is.)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

superrichi1a

That's not intentional! Reading it back I sort of see where you're coming from but thats not what I meant! ;)

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2014, 10:10 pm #81 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014, 10:10 pm by galacticprobe
Phew... For a minute there I thought you knew something we didn't, Richard. But don't scare my like that again! ;) :) :D ;D

Dino.

superrichi1a

Haha, I'll try not to scare you like that again then ;)

BOO!!!!!

K I'm done ;D

galacticprobe

Dec 15, 2014, 05:07 am #83 Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014, 05:07 am by galacticprobe
Nanny-nanny-boo-boo.gif

(Now we're done! ;D ;D ;D)

Dino.

russellsuthern

Again, Thanks to both of you!
Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere- having too much fun!
I love Dalek Clarkson!
What's his tea making like?
It's a bit mind-bending being surrounded by life size Dr Who models, isn't it?
Almost like being in your own Dr Who episode!
I still sometimes double-take when I walk into the room & see my creation sitting there, almost like I forgot I made him, or something...

Best wishes,

Russell

russellsuthern

Hi, Guys,
This is completely unrelated, so feel free to delete if you like, but I'm just watching the last episode of "Tomorrow's Worlds" with Dominic Sandbrook.
It's the time travel episode, & they are featuring Dr Who. They've just done an on screen, run through of the Doctors, featuring the first 5, then skipping straight to Eccleston! So Colin Baker, McCoy, & McGann don't rate, then?
I'm quite miffed by that & it's a shame because I was quite enjoying it...

superrichi1a

Bah. Anyone who thinks they can skip out 3 of the best Doctors is a moron. Those 3 rate just as highly as the rest, more than some others, perhaps... (Evening Mr. Eccleston)

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2014, 06:40 pm #87 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 06:42 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: russellsuthern on Dec 16, 2014, 09:19 am
...the last episode of "Tomorrow's Worlds"...
It's the time travel episode, & they are featuring Dr Who... featuring the first 5, then skipping straight to Eccleston! So Colin Baker, McCoy, & McGann don't rate, then?
I'm quite miffed by that & it's a shame because I was quite enjoying it...

I'm also miffed at this, even though we don't get 'Tomorrow's Worlds' over here in the US (at least not on my provider's channels). I think the writers of that episode should have known better. (May the Great Bird of the Galaxy fly over, and poop on their heads!)

Quote from: superrichi1a on Dec 16, 2014, 05:28 pm
Bah. Anyone who thinks they can skip out 3 of the best Doctors is a moron. Those 3 rate just as highly as the rest, more than some others, perhaps... (Evening Mr. Eccleston)

Agreed! ("The Doctor: wonderful chap... All of them." -Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart)

Dino.

russellsuthern

Dec 16, 2014, 10:52 pm #88 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 10:56 pm by russellsuthern
Glad you agree!
The other thing that amused me was the way Mr Sandbrook said (& I'm paraphrasing here a bit,) "while everything constantly changes in Dr Who, the one thing that has stayed exactly the same is the TARDIS Police Box! I know a few members of Tardisbuilders who might disagree with THAT comment!

Russ

galacticprobe

Dec 17, 2014, 08:04 am #89 Last Edit: Dec 17, 2014, 08:11 am by galacticprobe
Well? There are two ways of looking at that comment:

"...in Dr Who, the one thing that has stayed exactly the same is the TARDIS Police Box!"

1) Agreement - the shape of the TARDIS exterior - regardless of the sometimes slow and subtle changes during the Classic Series, or the sudden and major changes during the New Series - the Old Girl has always looked like, or resembled, a "Police box" (the appearance changes in "Attack of the Cybermen" not withstanding), or;

2) Disagreement - what in the heck is he talking about?! The look of the TARDIS has gone through so many changes over the last 51 years that not even the Old Girl's looks are a constant in the show, and you could sink a battleship if you tried to fill it with full-scale replicas - one of each and every change made to the Old Girl!

IMHO, I'm leaning more towards Number 1; just a general statement to get a point across.

Dino.