May 29, 2024, 04:40 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Russell's TARDIS

Started by russellsuthern, Jun 15, 2014, 09:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Thanks again for your encouragement.
Using different types of perspex, different types of opaqueness,different ages & thicknesses & slightly different construction methods means that each window will look a bit different & individual, which is exactly what I want.
I want my box to look like it's been around a bit & has had many different repairs done to it, creating little inconsistencies & individualities within each part.
(This is also a great way of explaining away any shoddy workmanship!)

Russell

russellsuthern

Got two sides pretty much done now:
006.JPG
009.JPG

It's funny but I'm looking more & more at your picture galleries of real police boxes for reference, rather than TARDISes.
I really love that "real world" finish.
When I started I was definitely building a TARDIS, but now, while working on my model, I often find myself slipping into the mindset of a council worker in the 50's or 60's, wondering what kind of a finish they would be happy with before going home for their chippy tea...
Hope that doesn't sound too mad...!

Russell

superrichi1a

That's an interesting point, whilst I never imagined myself in the 60s, I do find myself now with a healthy respect of the Met boxes. I'm still a TARDIS guy, I'm interested in the props' history and varieties to a greater level than the Police Box, but whereas before I started I just thought "TARDIS" (the NST, to be exact) now I find myself comparing all TARDIS designs to police box designs too, like adding a different dimension. Both look distinctly different to me in many ways really, even the NST shares elements with the Hartnell that police boxes don't, so I strangely never find myself mixing the two up :)
Very happy to see more of this build. I hadn't noticed how much I like the dark sign before, I've always thought I'm not a fan of the black door sign but between watching old 4th Doctor DVDs and now this I'm starting to see why it's loved ;)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

russellsuthern

Hi!
Yeah, it's always been the black sign for me- I grew up with Baker & his first series to me will always be the acme of Dr Who.
I used to draw Daleks & TARDISes endlessly, usually when I should have been doing school work!
This is probably why I got into building them & this is why for me the sign will always be black!

Russell

Volpone

Before coming to this board, I didn't know police boxes had a white sign (I saw the Hartnell episodes so long ago that I didn't remember them at all), so I wasn't particularly impressed with the white (OK, silver) sign for the 2005 series revival.  After several years of looking at police boxes, however, the blue/black sign looks odd to me (although I'm still not ready to stick a SJA badge on the door).  My TARDIS is significantly less "distressed" than most of the props these days too--more like a maintained police box.  So yeah, it makes perfect sense--especially given how much the prop has changed over the decades--that a builder would integrate their own design choices into a build. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Absolutely-
Vive La Difference as we english say!
Part of the fascination is the little & larger differences that make every prop, every real box & every fan build look unique & individual.
It's a bit like the Daleks, Iv'e always been obsessed with all the different variations over the years.
Keeps things interesting- can you imagine how dull it would be if they were all exactly the same?

On a different topic, I had a new student the other day from Chekoslovakia. He looked at my TARDIS & asked- "What are you building?"
So I replied, "A TARDIS".
"What's that?"
"Haven't you heard of Doctor Who?"
"No, what's that?"
So, after getting over my initial shock, I set out to explain...
"Well it's a sci fi show about a chap who travels round in a time machine disguised as a Police Box..."
"Whats a police Box?"
At this stage I realised just how difficult it is to describe Dr Who to someone who'se never heard of it. Star Wars & Star Trek etc are all so generic, they are easy to explain, but Dr Who, with all it's British quirkiness is much more difficult to pin down.
That's partly why it's so great!!!!

All the best,

Russell

Volpone

My take runs along the lines of "It's a British sci-fi show about an alien time traveler, hiding out on Earth.  His time machine has a camouflage device that has made it look like a police telephone booth." 

Of course at this point you're probably get anyone younger than about 20 asking "what's a telephone booth?" 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

galacticprobe

Sep 25, 2014, 04:45 am #52 Last Edit: Sep 25, 2014, 04:46 am by galacticprobe
Telephone Booth - easy... That thing Bill and Ted traveled in to get their history project done so they could get a passing grade!

(Any farther back than that, and you might be able to say "The thing Clark Kent ducks into when he changes into Superman.")

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

Volpone

Point of order: Bill & Ted was a quarter century ago.
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

WHAT?!?
Next you'll be telling me Waynes World is over 20 years ago...!

(Oh...)

Feeling old now...

galacticprobe

Sep 26, 2014, 04:39 am #55 Last Edit: Sep 26, 2014, 04:39 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: volpone on Sep 25, 2014, 05:16 am
Point of order: Bill & Ted was a quarter century ago.

Oh... crap.

Quote from: russellsuthern on Sep 25, 2014, 08:02 am
WHAT?!?
Next you'll be telling me Waynes World is over 20 years ago...!

(Oh...)

Feeling old now...

Double crap.

Well... maybe some of those younglings have seen at least one of the Bill and Ted...

Erm... never mind. (Frack! :P)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

russellsuthern

Enough of this banter!
We all know there's only one thing worth watching on telly... DR WHO!!!!

Sorry, getting over excited there- possibly because iv'e started on my 2nd to last panel which will have the door in it!!
002.JPG
005.JPG
My boys are always quick to check up on my work to judge its quality...
006.JPG
010.JPG

The Cocker is Harvey & the Springer is Blaine.
I won't tell you what they do if they don't like it....

Russell

russellsuthern

Hi all!

Now, I know I said Dr Who is the only programme worth watching on telly, so I'm probably going to get some (deserved) stick for this, but... I was watching New Tricks the other night (I know!...Bring it on...!) & in one scene Dennis Waterman was in a pub (surprise...) but look at the door behind him!! Look familiar...?

012.JPG

Anyway, now I got that confession off my chest, on to more important matters...
I have a door!
002.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG

I was really worried it would turn out super-wonky, especially as I was hand cutting it with a manual saw, but it's come out not too bad.
I had to sand it and fill it. Now I have to wait for it to dry, then I'll sand it again, then paint it, then attach it using the hinges I bought.
Lots of sanding in this game, isn't there...?
014.JPG
015.JPG
018.JPG

So that's where i'm up to now. Getting quite excited, but trying not to get overly impatient, as I know there's a long way to go still!

Hope your builds are all going well.

Russell

galacticprobe

Oct 02, 2014, 05:45 am #58 Last Edit: Oct 02, 2014, 05:45 am by galacticprobe
It's all going very well. (No chorus of "Thaaaank you, Mr. Grace", please!) Don't rush things at this point. The Old Girl is looking so nice, you don't want to make a mistake now when she's so close to being "fully grown".

Dino.

russellsuthern

Wise words , Dino.

And as an example of what happens when you rush, I nearly sliced my thumb off trimming the door down so it would swing freely & not stick.
I'm currently waiting for my Time Lord regeneration powers to kick in (maybe I'll grow a new hand...?)
Customised my bandage, however...

002.JPG

Keep your eyes peeled for my ongoing series: "FUN WITH INDUSTRIAL ACCIDENTS"- PART 2, where I make an umbrella stand out of the stump of my left leg...

Russell